Re: [nslu2-linux] Debian: OOM: locale-gen

  • Adam Ward
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      On Monday 28 January 2008 04:40:31 Markus Ingendahl wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I managed to get it up and running after 3 hours!
      >
      > The reason: I followed the following guide to prepare to run Debian from
      > a flash drive:
      > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/linux-on-flash.html
      >
      > That's what caused to OOM.
      > I just skipped these "optimizations" and no OOM any more.
      >
      > Any idea why?

      I had a similar problem when trying to install debian with a 256 MB swap.
      I ended up increasing it to 1 GB, with which it finally worked.

      There's a post about the linux kernel overcommitting it's swap (check my
      thread from a few days ago - there's a link to the issue). I think this is
      what's happening..

      One of the optimisations given on the cyrius page is reducing the swap usage,
      which I can see being a problem on the slug because there's not much memory
      anyway.