Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [nslu2-linux] slug clock wierdness

Expand Messages
  • Brendan Reid
    ok i am now struggling with wiki entry here http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient which gives a recipe for unslung 6.8
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      ok i am now struggling with wiki entry here

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient

      which gives a recipe for unslung 6.8 (which is what I am using)
      after following the instructions at the top i have....(actually this page seems a real mix of new and outdated info)

      ________________________________
      # pwd
      /opt/etc/init.d
      # ls -l
      total 40
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  73 Sep 23 13:35 S05bash
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  83 Jun 21  2007 S05coreutils
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 222 Feb  1 23:57 S10ntp
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  20 Sep 30 03:36 S30iptables -> /opt/etc/iptables.sh
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 159 Oct  4 20:32 S33ddclient
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 Oct  5 18:15 S35mythttpd -> /opt/sbin/webserverreboot
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 101 Oct 10 20:11 S36gnump3d
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 164 Sep  8 08:45 S40sshd
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108 Jul 17  2006 S55portmap
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 476 Sep 18 21:54 S56nfs-utils
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 273 Sep  9 10:12 S57rsyncd
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 313 Sep 24 23:18 S60mt-daapd
      __________________________________________________________

      if i now manually run S10ntp as below (i double checked I am using the exact script on the wiki page) i get the following screen output and the script seems caught in a loop (i have to CTRL-C out of it......)

      # ./S10ntp
          mode:         16384
      -o  offset:       0
      -f  frequency:    0
          maxerror:     16384000
          esterror:     16384000
          status:       64 ( UNSYNC )
      -p  timeconstant: 2
          precision:    1
          tolerance:    33554432
      -t  tick:         10000
          time.tv_sec:  1201911669
          time.tv_usec: 244468
          return value: 5 (clock not synchronized)

      __________________________________________

      if i manually try to run the 6th line of the script i get the same.
      if i ping pool.ntp.org i get no problem

      ideas?

      bren

      ____________
      here is my copy of script
      ______________
      #!/bin/sh   
      if [ -n "`pidof ntpclient`" ]; then   
            /bin/killall ntpclient 2>/dev/null   
      fi   
      /opt/sbin/adjtimex -t 10000   
      /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org > /var/log/ntp.log
      hwclock --systohc --utc


       


    • Scott Ruckh
      This is what you said Brendan Reid ... Actually that second recipe never worked for me. I run the the /unslunc/rc.rstxxxx script at boot, and then I just have
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        This is what you said Brendan Reid
        > ok i am now struggling with wiki entry here
        >
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient
        >
        > which gives a recipe for unslung 6.8 (which is what I am using)
        > after following the instructions at the top i have....(actually this page
        > seems a real mix of new and outdated info)
        >
        > ________________________________
        > # pwd
        > /opt/etc/init.d
        > # ls -l
        > total 40
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 73 Sep 23 13:35 S05bash
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83 Jun 21 2007 S05coreutils
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 222 Feb 1 23:57 S10ntp
        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 30 03:36 S30iptables ->
        > /opt/etc/iptables.sh
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 159 Oct 4 20:32 S33ddclient
        > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Oct 5 18:15 S35mythttpd ->
        > /opt/sbin/webserverreboot
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 101 Oct 10 20:11 S36gnump3d
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 164 Sep 8 08:45 S40sshd
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108 Jul 17 2006 S55portmap
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 476 Sep 18 21:54 S56nfs-utils
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 273 Sep 9 10:12 S57rsyncd
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 313 Sep 24 23:18 S60mt-daapd
        > __________________________________________________________
        >
        > if i now manually run S10ntp as below (i double checked I am using the
        > exact
        > script on the wiki page) i get the following screen output and the script
        > seems caught in a loop (i have to CTRL-C out of it......)
        >
        > # ./S10ntp
        > mode: 16384
        > -o offset: 0
        > -f frequency: 0
        > maxerror: 16384000
        > esterror: 16384000
        > status: 64 ( UNSYNC )
        > -p timeconstant: 2
        > precision: 1
        > tolerance: 33554432
        > -t tick: 10000
        > time.tv_sec: 1201911669
        > time.tv_usec: 244468
        > return value: 5 (clock not synchronized)
        >
        > __________________________________________
        >
        > if i manually try to run the 6th line of the script i get the same.
        > if i ping pool.ntp.org i get no problem
        >
        > ideas?
        >
        > bren
        >
        > ____________
        > here is my copy of script
        > ______________
        > #!/bin/sh
        > if [ -n "`pidof ntpclient`" ]; then
        > /bin/killall ntpclient 2>/dev/null
        > fi
        > /opt/sbin/adjtimex -t 10000
        > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org > /var/log/ntp.log
        > hwclock --systohc --utc
        >

        Actually that second recipe never worked for me.

        I run the the /unslunc/rc.rstxxxx script at boot, and then I just have a
        cron job the syncs the clock every 20 minutes.

        I never could get the ntpclient to keep time when running in daemon mode
        (as suggested in the recipe).

        More or less I only do the top section.
      • Brendan Reid
        ... now i am confused!!!!!! either i use the script at the top plus cron (which uses ntpclient) or i use the diversion scripts at the bottom (which uses
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          On 01/02/2008, Scott Ruckh <sruckh@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > This is what you said Brendan Reid
          >
          > > ok i am now struggling with wiki entry here
          > >
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient
          > >
          > > which gives a recipe for unslung 6.8 (which is what I am using)
          > > after following the instructions at the top i have....(actually this page
          > > seems a real mix of new and outdated info)
          > >
          > > ________________________________
          > > # pwd
          > > /opt/etc/init.d
          > > # ls -l
          > > total 40
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 73 Sep 23 13:35 S05bash
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83 Jun 21 2007 S05coreutils
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 222 Feb 1 23:57 S10ntp
          > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 30 03:36 S30iptables ->
          > > /opt/etc/iptables.sh
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 159 Oct 4 20:32 S33ddclient
          > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Oct 5 18:15 S35mythttpd ->
          > > /opt/sbin/webserverreboot
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 101 Oct 10 20:11 S36gnump3d
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 164 Sep 8 08:45 S40sshd
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108 Jul 17 2006 S55portmap
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 476 Sep 18 21:54 S56nfs-utils
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 273 Sep 9 10:12 S57rsyncd
          > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 313 Sep 24 23:18 S60mt-daapd
          > > __________________________________________________________
          > >
          > > if i now manually run S10ntp as below (i double checked I am using the
          > > exact
          > > script on the wiki page) i get the following screen output and the script
          > > seems caught in a loop (i have to CTRL-C out of it......)
          > >
          > > # ./S10ntp
          > > mode: 16384
          > > -o offset: 0
          > > -f frequency: 0
          > > maxerror: 16384000
          > > esterror: 16384000
          > > status: 64 ( UNSYNC )
          > > -p timeconstant: 2
          > > precision: 1
          > > tolerance: 33554432
          > > -t tick: 10000
          > > time.tv_sec: 1201911669
          > > time.tv_usec: 244468
          > > return value: 5 (clock not synchronized)
          > >
          > > __________________________________________
          > >
          > > if i manually try to run the 6th line of the script i get the same.
          > > if i ping pool.ntp.org i get no problem
          > >
          > > ideas?
          > >
          > > bren
          > >
          > > ____________
          > > here is my copy of script
          > > ______________
          > > #!/bin/sh
          > > if [ -n "`pidof ntpclient`" ]; then
          > > /bin/killall ntpclient 2>/dev/null
          > > fi
          > > /opt/sbin/adjtimex -t 10000
          > > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org > /var/log/ntp.log
          > > hwclock --systohc --utc
          > >
          >
          > Actually that second recipe never worked for me.
          >
          > I run the the /unslunc/rc.rstxxxx script at boot, and then I just have a
          > cron job the syncs the clock every 20 minutes.
          >
          > I never could get the ntpclient to keep time when running in daemon mode
          > (as suggested in the recipe).
          >
          > More or less I only do the top section.


          now i am confused!!!!!!

          either i use the script at the top plus cron (which uses ntpclient)
          or i use the diversion scripts at the bottom (which uses ntpclient)

          your post says you only use the top half of what? An orange?
          if you are only running the first script /unslung/rc.rstxxxx the only
          command that changes the clock is

          /usr/sbin/hwclock --adjust

          but where is this adjustment coming from and relative to what?

          as in my original post when i run
          /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
          it doesnt work..

          am i being thick!
          probably

          bren



          bren
        • Scott Ruckh
          This is what you said Brendan Reid ... http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient The Wiki looks like two different
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            This is what you said Brendan Reid
            > On 01/02/2008, Scott Ruckh <sruckh@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >> This is what you said Brendan Reid
            >>
            >> > ok i am now struggling with wiki entry here
            >> >
            >> >
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient

            The Wiki looks like two different configurations to me. So when I said
            use the one on the top, I meant use the one that looks like option 1.

            In /opt/etc/crontab I have the following entry:
            0/20 * * * * root /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h a.b.c.d > /var/log/ntp.log
            && hwclock --systohc --utc

            ;where a.b.c.d is the IP of the NTP server that is on my local network.

            for /unslung/rc.rstimezone I have:

            #! /bin/ash
            /usr/sbin/Set_TimeZone >/dev/null
            /usr/sbin/hwclock --adjust
            /usr/sbin/hwclock --hctosys >/dev/null
            return 0
            # EOF - include this line

            probably not needed, but I have this for /opt/etc/init.d/S10ntpclient :

            #!/bin/sh
            if [ -n "`pidof ntpclient`" ]; then
            /bin/killall ntpclient 2>/dev/null
            fi
            /opt/sbin/adjtimex -t 10000
            /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h a.b.c.d > /var/log/ntp.log
            /usr/sbin/hwclock --systohc --utc

            exit 0

            All of that other stuff at the bottom of the Wiki did not work for me.

            Either my clock got too skewed for ntpclient to sync, or this just did not
            work for me:

            /opt/bin/ntpclient -i 600 -l -h a.b.c.d >> /var/log/ntp.log &

            So I just opted for the ugly hack, which is to sync to my internal NTP
            server every 20 minutes.
          • rolandkbs
            1. Install ntpclient: ipkg install ntpclient 2. Add the following line to /etc/crontab: (it s all on one line) 1 * * * * root /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              1. Install ntpclient: ipkg install ntpclient
              2. Add the following line to /etc/crontab: (it's all on one line)

              1 * * * * root /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.pool.ntp.org >
              /var/log/ntp.log && hwclock --systohc --utc

              That's it.
              Roland

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Reid" <brenreid@...> wrote:
              >
              > On 01/02/2008, Scott Ruckh <sruckh@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > > This is what you said Brendan Reid
              > >
              > > > ok i am now struggling with wiki entry here
              > > >
              > > >
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient
              > > >
              > > > which gives a recipe for unslung 6.8 (which is what I am using)
              > > > after following the instructions at the top i have....(actually
              this page
              > > > seems a real mix of new and outdated info)
              > > >
              > > > ________________________________
              > > > # pwd
              > > > /opt/etc/init.d
              > > > # ls -l
              > > > total 40
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 73 Sep 23 13:35 S05bash
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83 Jun 21 2007 S05coreutils
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 222 Feb 1 23:57 S10ntp
              > > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 30 03:36 S30iptables ->
              > > > /opt/etc/iptables.sh
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 159 Oct 4 20:32 S33ddclient
              > > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Oct 5 18:15 S35mythttpd ->
              > > > /opt/sbin/webserverreboot
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 101 Oct 10 20:11 S36gnump3d
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 164 Sep 8 08:45 S40sshd
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108 Jul 17 2006 S55portmap
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 476 Sep 18 21:54 S56nfs-utils
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 273 Sep 9 10:12 S57rsyncd
              > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 313 Sep 24 23:18 S60mt-daapd
              > > > __________________________________________________________
              > > >
              > > > if i now manually run S10ntp as below (i double checked I am
              using the
              > > > exact
              > > > script on the wiki page) i get the following screen output and
              the script
              > > > seems caught in a loop (i have to CTRL-C out of it......)
              > > >
              > > > # ./S10ntp
              > > > mode: 16384
              > > > -o offset: 0
              > > > -f frequency: 0
              > > > maxerror: 16384000
              > > > esterror: 16384000
              > > > status: 64 ( UNSYNC )
              > > > -p timeconstant: 2
              > > > precision: 1
              > > > tolerance: 33554432
              > > > -t tick: 10000
              > > > time.tv_sec: 1201911669
              > > > time.tv_usec: 244468
              > > > return value: 5 (clock not synchronized)
              > > >
              > > > __________________________________________
              > > >
              > > > if i manually try to run the 6th line of the script i get the same.
              > > > if i ping pool.ntp.org i get no problem
              > > >
              > > > ideas?
              > > >
              > > > bren
              > > >
              > > > ____________
              > > > here is my copy of script
              > > > ______________
              > > > #!/bin/sh
              > > > if [ -n "`pidof ntpclient`" ]; then
              > > > /bin/killall ntpclient 2>/dev/null
              > > > fi
              > > > /opt/sbin/adjtimex -t 10000
              > > > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org > /var/log/ntp.log
              > > > hwclock --systohc --utc
              > > >
              > >
              > > Actually that second recipe never worked for me.
              > >
              > > I run the the /unslunc/rc.rstxxxx script at boot, and then I just
              have a
              > > cron job the syncs the clock every 20 minutes.
              > >
              > > I never could get the ntpclient to keep time when running in
              daemon mode
              > > (as suggested in the recipe).
              > >
              > > More or less I only do the top section.
              >
              >
              > now i am confused!!!!!!
              >
              > either i use the script at the top plus cron (which uses ntpclient)
              > or i use the diversion scripts at the bottom (which uses ntpclient)
              >
              > your post says you only use the top half of what? An orange?
              > if you are only running the first script /unslung/rc.rstxxxx the only
              > command that changes the clock is
              >
              > /usr/sbin/hwclock --adjust
              >
              > but where is this adjustment coming from and relative to what?
              >
              > as in my original post when i run
              > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
              > it doesnt work..
              >
              > am i being thick!
              > probably
              >
              > bren
              >
              >
              >
              > bren
              >
            • Brendan Reid
              Scott, Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time. I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to see if this
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                Scott,

                Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.

                I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
                see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
                for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....

                please can you run this command on your system

                /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org

                this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
                the root of my prob as stated in prev emails


                thanks
                bren
              • Brendan Reid
                @ roland - that s what i tried first....no luck here for some strange reason bren
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  @ roland - that's what i tried first....no luck here for some strange reason
                  bren
                • Scott Ruckh
                  This is what you said Brendan Reid ... sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org Password: 39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    This is what you said Brendan Reid
                    > Scott,
                    >
                    > Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.
                    >
                    > I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
                    > see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
                    > for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....
                    >
                    > please can you run this command on your system
                    >
                    > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
                    >
                    > this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
                    > the root of my prob as stated in prev emails

                    sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org
                    Password:
                    39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1 2621886.0 104751.6 0

                    instantly returns me to a shell prompt with no hanging.

                    sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg list_installed | grep ntp
                    ntpclient - 2003_194-3 - Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and
                    time

                    sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg files ntpclient
                    Package ntpclient (2003_194-3) is installed on root and has the following
                    files:
                    /opt/bin/ntpclient
                    /opt/sbin/adjtimex

                    sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/bin/ntpclient
                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13804 Jun 16 2006 /opt/bin/ntpclient


                    sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4680 Jun 16 2006 /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                  • Brendan Reid
                    wierder and wierder..... ... All above is same for me. I forced reinstall # sudo ipkg install ntpclient -force-reinstall Reinstalling ntpclient (2003_194-3) on
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                    View Source
                    • 0 Attachment
                      wierder and wierder.....

                      On 02/02/2008, Scott Ruckh <sruckh@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > This is what you said Brendan Reid
                      >
                      > > Scott,
                      > >
                      > > Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.
                      > >
                      > > I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
                      > > see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
                      > > for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....
                      > >
                      > > please can you run this command on your system
                      > >
                      > > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
                      > >
                      > > this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
                      > > the root of my prob as stated in prev emails
                      >
                      > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org
                      > Password:
                      > 39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1 2621886.0 104751.6 0
                      >
                      > instantly returns me to a shell prompt with no hanging.
                      >
                      > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg list_installed | grep ntp
                      > ntpclient - 2003_194-3 - Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and
                      > time
                      >
                      > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg files ntpclient
                      > Package ntpclient (2003_194-3) is installed on root and has the following
                      > files:
                      > /opt/bin/ntpclient
                      > /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                      >
                      > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/bin/ntpclient
                      > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13804 Jun 16 2006 /opt/bin/ntpclient
                      >
                      > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                      > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4680 Jun 16 2006 /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                      >
                      >
                      All above is same for me.

                      I forced reinstall
                      # sudo ipkg install ntpclient -force-reinstall
                      Reinstalling ntpclient (2003_194-3) on root...
                      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ntpclient_2003_194-3_armeb.ipk
                      Configuring ntpclient

                      # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h uk.pool.ntp.org

                      [HANGS until CTRL-C]

                      # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.uk.pool.ntp.org

                      [HANGS until CTRL-C]

                      ARGGGHHH!!!! (tried many other servers incl yours - no dice)

                      --- 0.uk.pool.ntp.org ping statistics ---
                      3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
                      round-trip min/avg/max = 32.980/35.567/40.150 ms

                      read ntptrouble shooting section - nothing jumps out...

                      new things tried

                      1) confirmed port 123 hole in router firewall for UDP and TCP - no
                      change - ping was working prev anyway so no surprise

                      2) used ntp web browser based support check via slug browser w3m - it
                      works and receives time update via

                      #w3m http://support.ntp.org/ntpq.php

                      ARRRRGHH!!!

                      bren
                    • Brendan Reid
                      guys any more thoughts / alternatives after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below bren
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                      View Source
                      • 0 Attachment
                        guys any more thoughts / alternatives
                        after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below
                        bren

                        On 02/02/2008, Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:
                        > wierder and wierder.....
                        >
                        > On 02/02/2008, Scott Ruckh <sruckh@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > > This is what you said Brendan Reid
                        > >
                        > > > Scott,
                        > > >
                        > > > Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.
                        > > >
                        > > > I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
                        > > > see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
                        > > > for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....
                        > > >
                        > > > please can you run this command on your system
                        > > >
                        > > > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
                        > > >
                        > > > this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
                        > > > the root of my prob as stated in prev emails
                        > >
                        > > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org
                        > > Password:
                        > > 39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1 2621886.0 104751.6 0
                        > >
                        > > instantly returns me to a shell prompt with no hanging.
                        > >
                        > > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg list_installed | grep ntp
                        > > ntpclient - 2003_194-3 - Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and
                        > > time
                        > >
                        > > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg files ntpclient
                        > > Package ntpclient (2003_194-3) is installed on root and has the following
                        > > files:
                        > > /opt/bin/ntpclient
                        > > /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                        > >
                        > > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/bin/ntpclient
                        > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13804 Jun 16 2006 /opt/bin/ntpclient
                        > >
                        > > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                        > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4680 Jun 16 2006 /opt/sbin/adjtimex
                        > >
                        > >
                        > All above is same for me.
                        >
                        > I forced reinstall
                        > # sudo ipkg install ntpclient -force-reinstall
                        > Reinstalling ntpclient (2003_194-3) on root...
                        > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ntpclient_2003_194-3_armeb.ipk
                        > Configuring ntpclient
                        >
                        > # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h uk.pool.ntp.org
                        >
                        > [HANGS until CTRL-C]
                        >
                        > # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
                        >
                        > [HANGS until CTRL-C]
                        >
                        > ARGGGHHH!!!! (tried many other servers incl yours - no dice)
                        >
                        > --- 0.uk.pool.ntp.org ping statistics ---
                        > 3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
                        > round-trip min/avg/max = 32.980/35.567/40.150 ms
                        >
                        > read ntptrouble shooting section - nothing jumps out...
                        >
                        > new things tried
                        >
                        > 1) confirmed port 123 hole in router firewall for UDP and TCP - no
                        > change - ping was working prev anyway so no surprise
                        >
                        > 2) used ntp web browser based support check via slug browser w3m - it
                        > works and receives time update via
                        >
                        > #w3m http://support.ntp.org/ntpq.php
                        >
                        > ARRRRGHH!!!
                        >
                        > bren
                        >
                      • Bob Cox
                        In article , ... Well, an alternative might be ntpdate: gaia:/home/bob# ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org 6
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                        View Source
                        • 0 Attachment
                          In article <b1bf985c0802051448o5b69f328t3ff83ad7ef13d5db@...>,
                          Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:

                          > guys any more thoughts / alternatives
                          > after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below
                          > bren

                          Well, an alternative might be ntpdate:

                          gaia:/home/bob# ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
                          6 Feb 08:03:32 ntpdate[24296]: adjust time server 194.238.48.3 offset -0.012314 sec

                          Note that I am *not* using Unslung so this may not be useful advice
                          after all ;-)

                          --
                          Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
                          Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
                          Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
                        • Brendan Reid
                          bob thanks for trying but ipkg install ntpdate does not install anything bren
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                          View Source
                          • 0 Attachment
                             bob

                            thanks for trying
                            but ipkg install ntpdate
                            does not install anything

                            bren

                            On 06/02/2008, Bob Cox <bobcox1955@...> wrote:

                            In article <b1bf985c0802051448o5b69f328t3ff83ad7ef13d5db@...>,
                            Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:

                            > guys any more thoughts / alternatives
                            > after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below
                            > bren

                            Well, an alternative might be ntpdate:

                            gaia:/home/bob# ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
                            6 Feb 08:03:32 ntpdate[24296]: adjust time server 194.238.48.3 offset -0.012314 sec

                            Note that I am *not* using Unslung so this may not be useful advice
                            after all ;-)

                            --
                            Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
                            Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
                            Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/


                          • Bob Cox
                            In article , ... No, it probably won t. I expect you need to get ntp but only use ntpdate and not
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                            View Source
                            • 0 Attachment
                              In article <b1bf985c0802061104w3f48a12bgfc48b461fe5fc96b@...>,
                              Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:

                              > ------=_Part_25056_8020675.1202324651129
                              > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
                              > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                              > Content-Disposition: inline
                              >
                              > bob
                              >
                              > thanks for trying
                              > but ipkg install ntpdate
                              > does not install anything
                              >
                              > bren

                              No, it probably won't. I expect you need to get ntp but only use
                              ntpdate and not the rest of the package.

                              http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=ntp&id=14893980&official=&format=

                              seems to have details on this package.


                              --
                              Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
                              Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
                              Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
                            • Brendan Reid
                              Weyhey! Thanks Bob Cox! bren
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 8, 2008
                              View Source
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Weyhey!
                                Thanks Bob Cox!

                                bren
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.