RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: Setting up virtual hosts on Linksys NSLU2

  • Scott Ruckh
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
      This is what you said Gregg C Levine
      > Hello!
      > This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for a large
      > number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can obviously be
      > done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work out. I do
      > know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it may not
      > work on the thing.
      >
      > However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can only be
      > run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo, or even
      > your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router. Multiple
      > DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.
      >
      > Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
      > discussion.
      > --

      I have the luxury of having a dedicated Linux box that acts as firewall,
      router, DNS, DHCP server, etc. Although I run CentOS there are several
      self contained distributions made just for the purpose of being an
      internet gateway. They have web interfaces for configuration in hopes to
      simplify the setup.

      This is not entirely practical for everyone, but it is definitely a
      solution that has worked well for me (including a mail host gateway, which
      the NSLU2 w/sendmail are configured to use).
    • raspden
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 11, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Ruckh" <sruckh@...> wrote:

        > This is what you said Gregg C Levine
        > > Hello!
        > > This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for
        a large
        > > number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can
        obviously be
        > > done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work
        out. I do
        > > know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it
        may not
        > > work on the thing.
        > >
        > > However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can
        only be
        > > run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo,
        or even
        > > your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router.
        Multiple
        > > DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.
        > >
        > > Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
        > > discussion.
        > > --
        >
        > I have the luxury of having a dedicated Linux box that acts as firewall,
        > router, DNS, DHCP server, etc. Although I run CentOS there are several
        > self contained distributions made just for the purpose of being an
        > internet gateway. They have web interfaces for configuration in
        hopes to
        > simplify the setup.
        >
        > This is not entirely practical for everyone, but it is definitely a
        > solution that has worked well for me (including a mail host gateway,
        which
        > the NSLU2 w/sendmail are configured to use).

        Hello Again,

        I have now set up dnsmasq on my slug and it works great with no
        problems with the internet or anything. I'm really quite impressed
        with it. Now I have some sites running as well. I added the following
        lines to /etc/hosts

        192.168.1.77 pma.aspdendev.com 192.168.1.77
        192.168.1.77 bramley.aspdendev.com 192.168.1.77

        Now when I navigate to pma.aspdendev.com:8081 I see the phpmyadmin
        site as I want.

        However I was wondering, as I'm using aspdendev.com as my server name,
        is there a way of setting dnsmasq to send all sites which have the
        format '<name>.aspdendev.com' to the slug so that I don't have to keep
        adding new lines to the /etc/hosts file and restarting the dns server
        as i have to do at the moment?

        Any help appreciated.