rsync: failed to set times on symbolic links

  • Paul Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      I'm using my SlugOS/BE 6.10 slug as a backup server, running rsnapshot and I see lots of error messages like this:
      rsync: failed to set times on "/home/snapshot/.sync/slug/disk1/etc/rc1.d/K09sshd": Function not implemented (38)

      The error messages all relate to symbolic links. Some googling suggests that there is a new glibc function, lutimes(), that
      implements setting the times on a symlink rather than the file it points to, and that the error message occurs when there's a
      discrepancy between the libs available when rsync is built and when it's deployed, with kernel support required too.

      Source: http://www.mail-archive.com/jfs-discussion@.../msg01001.html

      I installed SlugOS a couple of weeks ago, so everything is using the latest feeds. My rsync tells me it's version 2.6.9, although
      that doesn't tell me when it was compiled, or with what environment. Running ldd on rsync gives me this:
      ldd `which rsync`
      libpopt.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpopt.so.0 (0x40022000)
      libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40030000)
      libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40042000)
      /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

      Does this make sense to anybody? Is this likely to be my problem? What is the appropriate fix?

      Thanks,
      Paul