Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Setting up virtual hosts on Linksys NSLU2

  • Frank Reijn
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
      Best in my opinion is to stop the Orange one and setup your own DHCP and DNS.
      But then do not forget to link to the external internet for the dns part as well!

        Frank

      raspden <raspden@...> wrote:
      Brilliant. Thanks. Can this be used alongside the Orange DCHP Server
      or will I need to disable this in the Orange Livebox?

      --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:

      > Hi Raspden,
      >
      > No it can not..... The orange box I mean but.........
      >
      > Why not creating your own DNS server :-)
      > Although it is a small box, it has a lot of power !!!!!!
      >
      > http://www.nslu2- linux.org/ wiki/Optware/ DnsMasq
      >
      > Be carefull now... wrongly setting up internal DNS can mess up your
      outgoing internet connection.

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Frank
      >

      > raspden <raspden@... > wrote: Thanks.
      That's cleared things up nicely. I didn't realise I still

          __________|__________
      \ \_^_/ /
      __\___{_+_}___/__
      :/ \:

      Regards,

      Frank

      Global Operations Director

    • Gregg C Levine
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hello!
        This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for a large
        number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can obviously be
        done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work out. I do
        know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it may not
        work on the thing.

        However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can only be
        run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo, or even
        your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router. Multiple
        DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.

        Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
        discussion.
        --
        Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

        raspden <raspden@...> wrote:
> [...]

        as above.

        > This edit of the hosts file will be necessary for every client.
        >
        > If you are in control of a DNS server on your network, then obviously
        > adding possibly a CNAME record for that name would be your best option.
        > If you don't maintain a DNS server for your local network, then use the
        > hosts file as mentioned above.
        >
        > Now from that machine, you should be able to do things like 'ping
        > pma.rhazzzz.com'. This assumes that your name look-up is using the
        hosts
        > file (which is by default true on most Operating Systems).
        >
        > Now that the name resolution problem is resolved, it is now a matter of
        > getting your virtual host configuration set up in your lighttpd.conf
        file
        > (I have already posted and example of this, so you should be ready

      • raspden
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
          Ok. Will try that. Will probably mess it all up but worth giving it a go.

          Try it now.

        • Scott Ruckh
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
            This is what you said Gregg C Levine
            > Hello!
            > This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for a large
            > number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can obviously be
            > done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work out. I do
            > know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it may not
            > work on the thing.
            >
            > However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can only be
            > run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo, or even
            > your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router. Multiple
            > DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.
            >
            > Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
            > discussion.
            > --

            I have the luxury of having a dedicated Linux box that acts as firewall,
            router, DNS, DHCP server, etc. Although I run CentOS there are several
            self contained distributions made just for the purpose of being an
            internet gateway. They have web interfaces for configuration in hopes to
            simplify the setup.

            This is not entirely practical for everyone, but it is definitely a
            solution that has worked well for me (including a mail host gateway, which
            the NSLU2 w/sendmail are configured to use).
          • raspden
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2008
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Ruckh" <sruckh@...> wrote:

              > This is what you said Gregg C Levine
              > > Hello!
              > > This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for
              a large
              > > number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can
              obviously be
              > > done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work
              out. I do
              > > know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it
              may not
              > > work on the thing.
              > >
              > > However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can
              only be
              > > run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo,
              or even
              > > your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router.
              Multiple
              > > DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.
              > >
              > > Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
              > > discussion.
              > > --
              >
              > I have the luxury of having a dedicated Linux box that acts as firewall,
              > router, DNS, DHCP server, etc. Although I run CentOS there are several
              > self contained distributions made just for the purpose of being an
              > internet gateway. They have web interfaces for configuration in
              hopes to
              > simplify the setup.
              >
              > This is not entirely practical for everyone, but it is definitely a
              > solution that has worked well for me (including a mail host gateway,
              which
              > the NSLU2 w/sendmail are configured to use).

              Hello Again,

              I have now set up dnsmasq on my slug and it works great with no
              problems with the internet or anything. I'm really quite impressed
              with it. Now I have some sites running as well. I added the following
              lines to /etc/hosts

              192.168.1.77 pma.aspdendev.com 192.168.1.77
              192.168.1.77 bramley.aspdendev.com 192.168.1.77

              Now when I navigate to pma.aspdendev.com:8081 I see the phpmyadmin
              site as I want.

              However I was wondering, as I'm using aspdendev.com as my server name,
              is there a way of setting dnsmasq to send all sites which have the
              format '<name>.aspdendev.com' to the slug so that I don't have to keep
              adding new lines to the /etc/hosts file and restarting the dns server
              as i have to do at the moment?

              Any help appreciated.