Problem running nfs-utils pgk on OpenWrt

  • white_westieb
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi

      First post (sorry a bit of a long one) here so please be gentle.

      Up front, I would like to thank everybody who contribute to this group
      and its related sites, and hope that it continues. Without stumbling
      into this world I would not have purchased a slug or a buffalo router
      (currently running tomato f/w), knowing that they could be made to do
      other things.

      I have no practical linux experience, but have worked on unix (IBM
      RS6000 AIX), so know roughly how things hang together, and am not
      afraid of the command line.

      I purchased a slug/usb/500gb hdd a few months ago, and have just
      gotten around to actually playing with it.

      I have been reading through the wiki and this group, and after
      reviewing the firmware comparison table, I opted to try and install
      the latest OpenWRT firmware. It looks to be lean and mean, and with
      the encouragement from Rod's Christmas 2007 posting, seemed to be the
      way to go.

      My usage initially for the slug, is to be a basic file server running
      SAMBA for the windows pcs/laptop, and NFS for the unix based
      satellite/cable/media boxes I have. I hope to install a full copy of
      linux on my dell laptop, but just waiting to see if the ati card issue
      settles down.

      Now for my problem:-

      I installed OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09 on my slug and got it connected to
      my network without too much pain.
      The x-wrt gui is a nice comfort to use after the initial install, and
      helps to give some confidence to first timers like myself.
      Made a few changes, and can connect with Putty.
      I decided to target NFS as my first application to install

      First attempt

      Ran ipkg update
      installed the filesystem management tools
      installed the nfs server pkgs from the default feeds
      ran the nfs startup script, and thought everything was working
      tried to mount something from my media player, but no luck
      looked back in dmesg and saw that nfs processes shutdown after 90secs
      eventually realised that portmap was not running
      when I started it manually it fell over on a seg fault
      removed/reinstalled but no change
      went back to read some more

      Second attempt

      removed all pkgs installed during first attempt
      created /opt dir
      edited /etc/ipkg.conf and installed optware pkg installer
      added /opt/bin, /opt/sbin to default path in /etc/profile
      ran ipkg update
      installed portmap pkg and checked that it started okay
      from reading I understood that the nfs-utils pkg is what I want for my
      nfs server
      pkg did not show up on ipkg list, so after searching on wike found
      that version 1.1.1 existed in nslu2 feed
      added feed
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/unstable/ to
      ipkg.conf file
      reran ipkg update, and then installed nfs-utils
      at this point everything looked good, so ran poweroff to make sure
      everything up to date
      tried to start nfs by running script /opt/etc/init.d/S56nfs-utils, but
      got 4 errors saying that the 4 binaries where not found
      ie: stats, nfsd, exportfs, mountd
      when I run them manually using /opt/sbin/xxxx or cd to /opt/sbin and
      run them using ./xxxx, I get the same error
      each of the files have perms of 755 and the directories are all set at
      755 as well
      the portmap program is also installed, but it has no problem loading
      started reading again, and installed the kernel support pkgs kmod-nfs,
      kmod-nfsd, kmod-loop - no change, but are these needed?
      copied nfsd to /tmp, renamed it, changed perms, tried to runt it, but
      it still gave 'not found' error
      ran strings against pgms and noticed references to /lib/ld-linux-so.2
      which looked odd
      could not find this lib on my system
      checked the portmap pgm and it referenced uClibc.so.0
      back to reading again, noticed references to ldd output, so I ran that
      again the pgms, and it displays correctly for portmap, but not for the
      other 4

      So my questions are
      From my steps detailed above, have I done something wrong or missed
      something obvious?
      Is the version of nfs-utils the correct one to install for a nfs server?
      Lastly, by any chance, is there a problem with the nfs-utils package?

      Any direct help, or point me at something else to read, would be
      appreciated - not used to this pkg method of installation, so am
      unsure where the fault is.

      Again, to all who read this, thanks for your time.

      Regards
      WW
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
        white_westieb wrote:
        > pkg did not show up on ipkg list, so after searching on wike found
        > that version 1.1.1 existed in nslu2 feed
        > added feed
        > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/unstable/ to
        > ipkg.conf file
        > reran ipkg update, and then installed nfs-utils

        You can't run optware/nslu2 packages on openwrt.

        There is a specific optware feed for openwrt-ixp4xx.

        -- Rod
      • white_westieb
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008

          > white_westieb wrote:
          > > pkg did not show up on ipkg list, so after searching on wike found
          > > that version 1.1.1 existed in nslu2 feed
          > > added feed
          > > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/unstable/ to
          > > ipkg.conf file
          > > reran ipkg update, and then installed nfs-utils
          >
          > You can't run optware/nslu2 packages on openwrt.
          >
          > There is a specific optware feed for openwrt-ixp4xx.
          >
          > -- Rod

          Rod
          Thanks for response - this is one area I am unsure of.

          Looking at that feed again, there is no nfs server - the comment
          against unfs3 pkg is to use nfs-utils, which I did, but it don't work.
          Is there an nfs server pkg built to run on Openwrt?
          There is the nfs-kernel-server.1.0.7 pkg in openwrt/kamikaze-7.07, but
          I think its only an nfs2 server?
          Any suggestions?

          Regards
          WW
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
            white_westieb wrote:
            > Looking at that feed again, there is no nfs server - the comment
            > against unfs3 pkg is to use nfs-utils, which I did, but it don't work.
            > Is there an nfs server pkg built to run on Openwrt?

            No idea. None of my openwrt boxes have attached storage, so I've never
            needed an NFS server for them.