Re: [nslu2-linux] Debian vs OpenSlug: poor Samba performance?

  • Markus Ingendahl
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
      Oh,

      of course it's MB per sec ;-)

      Markus

      markusingendahl schrieb:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
      >
      > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
      > installation is significantly slower that before.
      >
      > As far as I can see, I configured samba as I did before when using
      > OpenSlug.
      >
      > Before I hat a read performance of about 4,5 kb per second.
      > Now it's only 2,8 to 3,0 kb per second.
      >
      > Any idea what's wrong? Any hints where to find some hints?
      >
      > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
      > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?
      >
      > Ah by the way: in boths setups I used a mdadm driven raid 1 system
      > (same hardware)
      >
      > Any ideas are highly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      > Markus

    • Bob Cox
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
        In article <fnv5ig+bneg@...>,
        markusingendahl <mark.i@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
        >
        > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
        > installation is significantly slower that before.
        >
        > As far as I can see, I configured samba as I did before when using
        > OpenSlug.
        >
        > Before I hat a read performance of about 4,5 kb per second.
        > Now it's only 2,8 to 3,0 kb per second.
        >
        > Any idea what's wrong? Any hints where to find some hints?
        >
        > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
        > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?
        >
        > Ah by the way: in boths setups I used a mdadm driven raid 1 system
        > (same hardware)

        Sorry, no ideas, but firstly I assume you mean MB (Megabytes) per
        second?

        I did not know what speed to expect so I transferred a big file (just
        under 2GB) from the slug to a WinXP box using Samba.

        terminus:/home/bob# uname -a
        Linux terminus 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx #1 Tue Mar 27 18:01:56 BST 2007 armv5tel
        GNU/Linux

        Samba is version 3.0.24-6.

        5 minutes 33 seconds to transfer 1,967,128,576 bytes, which is 5,907,293
        bytes/second or 5.9 Megabytes (MB)/sec (or approximately 47 Megabit
        (Mb)/sec)

        So, yes, 2.8 to 3MB per second is perhaps a bit slow.

        The Windoze box is an old one running XP SP1.

        Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
        Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
          Markus,

          On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 01:07:28PM -0000, markusingendahl wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
          >
          > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
          > installation is significantly slower that before.
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
          > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?

          That is a simple one to check. Unmount the ext3 disk and then
          mount it as ext2 (mount -t ext2 ....). This is possible because
          ext3 was designed to be ext2 compatible.

          While you are at it, make sure you have the noatime mount
          option set for all ext2/ext3 disks.

          Also, Debian has many usually unnecessary services, like a
          mail server, running by default. To reduce swapping (thereby
          increasing slug speed), you can turn them off.

          John