Debian vs OpenSlug: poor Samba performance?

  • markusingendahl
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008

      I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.

      My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
      installation is significantly slower that before.

      As far as I can see, I configured samba as I did before when using
      OpenSlug.

      Before I hat a read performance of about 4,5 kb per second.
      Now it's only 2,8 to 3,0 kb per second.

      Any idea what's wrong? Any hints where to find some hints?

      I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
      it is ext3. Does this make the trick?

      Ah by the way: in boths setups I used a mdadm driven raid 1 system
      (same hardware)

      Any ideas are highly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance
      Markus
    • Markus Ingendahl
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
        Oh,

        of course it's MB per sec ;-)

        Markus

        markusingendahl schrieb:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
        >
        > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
        > installation is significantly slower that before.
        >
        > As far as I can see, I configured samba as I did before when using
        > OpenSlug.
        >
        > Before I hat a read performance of about 4,5 kb per second.
        > Now it's only 2,8 to 3,0 kb per second.
        >
        > Any idea what's wrong? Any hints where to find some hints?
        >
        > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
        > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?
        >
        > Ah by the way: in boths setups I used a mdadm driven raid 1 system
        > (same hardware)
        >
        > Any ideas are highly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Markus

      • Bob Cox
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
          In article <fnv5ig+bneg@...>,
          markusingendahl <mark.i@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
          >
          > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
          > installation is significantly slower that before.
          >
          > As far as I can see, I configured samba as I did before when using
          > OpenSlug.
          >
          > Before I hat a read performance of about 4,5 kb per second.
          > Now it's only 2,8 to 3,0 kb per second.
          >
          > Any idea what's wrong? Any hints where to find some hints?
          >
          > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
          > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?
          >
          > Ah by the way: in boths setups I used a mdadm driven raid 1 system
          > (same hardware)

          Sorry, no ideas, but firstly I assume you mean MB (Megabytes) per
          second?

          I did not know what speed to expect so I transferred a big file (just
          under 2GB) from the slug to a WinXP box using Samba.

          terminus:/home/bob# uname -a
          Linux terminus 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx #1 Tue Mar 27 18:01:56 BST 2007 armv5tel
          GNU/Linux

          Samba is version 3.0.24-6.

          5 minutes 33 seconds to transfer 1,967,128,576 bytes, which is 5,907,293
          bytes/second or 5.9 Megabytes (MB)/sec (or approximately 47 Megabit
          (Mb)/sec)

          So, yes, 2.8 to 3MB per second is perhaps a bit slow.

          The Windoze box is an old one running XP SP1.

          Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
          Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
        • John
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
            Markus,

            On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 01:07:28PM -0000, markusingendahl wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
            >
            > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
            > installation is significantly slower that before.
            >
            > [snip]
            >
            > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
            > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?

            That is a simple one to check. Unmount the ext3 disk and then
            mount it as ext2 (mount -t ext2 ....). This is possible because
            ext3 was designed to be ext2 compatible.

            While you are at it, make sure you have the noatime mount
            option set for all ext2/ext3 disks.

            Also, Debian has many usually unnecessary services, like a
            mail server, running by default. To reduce swapping (thereby
            increasing slug speed), you can turn them off.

            John