Setting up virtual hosts on Linksys NSLU2

  • raspden
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi There,

      With help from people on the sister group to this one I have a
      lighttpd webserver running on my unslung Linksys NSLU2. The
      server is running well the the following ip: http://192.168.1.77:8081

      However I wish to host multiple sites by using virtual hosts. So I added
      the following code at the bottom of my lighttpd.conf.

      $HTTP["host"] == "pma.rhazzzz.com" {
      server.document-root = "/opt/share/www/phpmyadmin"
      server.errorlog = "/var/log/lighttpd/phpmyadmin/error.log"
      accesslog.filename = "/var/log/lighttpd/phpmyadmin/access.log"
      #server.error-handler-404 = "/e404.php"
      }

      I then navigated to http://pma.rhazzzz.com on my computer and no site
      could be found. So I tried http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081 with no joy.

      Can someone advise me as to what I've done wrong. I have tried this set
      up with both 'mod_evhost' and 'mod_simple_vhost' installed but it seems
      to make no difference.
      Will I need to edit the hosts file on my PC in order to see the site?

      Thanks for you help.
    • Scott Ruckh
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
        This is what you said raspden
        > Hi There,
        >
        > With help from people on the sister group to this one I have a
        > lighttpd webserver running on my unslung Linksys NSLU2. The
        > server is running well the the following ip: http://192.168.1.77:8081
        >
        > However I wish to host multiple sites by using virtual hosts. So I added
        > the following code at the bottom of my lighttpd.conf.
        >
        > $HTTP["host"] == "pma.rhazzzz.com" {
        > server.document-root = "/opt/share/www/phpmyadmin"
        > server.errorlog = "/var/log/lighttpd/phpmyadmin/error.log"
        > accesslog.filename = "/var/log/lighttpd/phpmyadmin/access.log"
        > #server.error-handler-404 = "/e404.php"
        > }
        >
        > I then navigated to http://pma.rhazzzz.com on my computer and no site
        > could be found. So I tried http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081 with no joy.
        >
        > Can someone advise me as to what I've done wrong. I have tried this set
        > up with both 'mod_evhost' and 'mod_simple_vhost' installed but it seems
        > to make no difference.
        > Will I need to edit the hosts file on my PC in order to see the site?

        Does the address pma.rhazzzz.com resolve to the device running lighttpd?
        If not, then it will not work. If the address resolves correctly and
        lighttpd is running on port 8081 then the URL would be:
        http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081/ .

        Here is the config I use for virtual hosts:

        $HTTP["host"] =~ "virtualsite.example.com" {
        var.host-root = "/lighttpd/some-directory"
        server.document-root = var.host-root + "/"
        server.network-backend = "write"
        accesslog.filename =
        "/opt/var/log/lighttpd/virtualsite.example.com/access.log"
        server.errorlog =
        "/opt/var/log/lighttpd/virtualsite.example.com/error.log"
        }

        I don't know if it is required, but I have "mod_simple_vhost" configured
        in the server.modules section.
      • Brendan Reid
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
          Scott,

          Does your firewall allow passage of port 8081?

          Bren
        • Scott Ruckh
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
            This is what you said Brendan Reid
            > Scott,
            >
            > Does your firewall allow passage of port 8081?
            >
            > Bren

            Absolutely. It is also a port forwarded and NAT'd. I have other web
            services running on other ports on other machines that share the same
            domain. I kept the default 8081 port value with lighttpd on the NSLU2 (so
            all traffic on port 8081 is forwarded to the NSLU2 via the firewall).
          • Ben O'Hara
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
              You need to setup your DNS

              bash-2.05b# host pma.rhazzzz.com
              Host pma.rhazzzz.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

              Ben

              --
              "A Scientist will earn a living by taking a really difficult problem
              and spends many years solving it, an engineer earns a living by
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                This is what you said Ben O'Hara
                > You need to setup your DNS
                >

                > bash-2.05b# host pma.rhazzzz.com
                > Host pma.rhazzzz.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
                >
                > Ben

                This is probably meant for the original poster, and not me.

                Everything works fine in my configuration.

                I will add that just because DNS resolution does not work from the
                "internet" does not necessarily mean anything. If all of this is set up
                internally, or hosts files are used, or some other type of configuration,
                then DNS configuration is not necessary.

                I would suggest that the original poster add an entry to their hosts file.
                This would at least test the virtual-host configuration internally.

                If access is desired outside of the local network, then Ben is absolutely
                correct about DNS.
              • raspden
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                  Ok ok. Hold on. I'm a newbie at this so baby steps please. Just to
                  clarify the situation:

                  1) This is for local network access only. It's just a development
                  server so only machines on the network need to be able to see the
                  site. Does this change the need to resolve the DNS?
                  2) If not can someone please explain how this is done?
                  3) I have not setup port-forwarding on the router for this. Is this
                  necessary? I ask because http://192.168.1.77:8081 works fine. Why
                  would I need port-forwarding for virtual hosts when I don't without?
                  4) The address http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081/ is a made up url, so this
                  may well be the problem. I really don't mind what the url is, so can
                  someone advise me exactly what I need set up in the lightpd.conf file
                  and what in the virtual host in order to get a working site.
                  5) Something someone on here said confused me. I have added the
                  virtual host at the bottom of the lighttpd.conf file. This should work
                  ok should it not?
                  6) Finally, what modules need to be installed in order to run virtual
                  hosts.

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Ruckh" <sruckh@...> wrote:

                  > This is what you said Ben O'Hara
                  > > You need to setup your DNS
                  > >

                  > > bash-2.05b# host pma.rhazzzz.com
                  > > Host pma.rhazzzz.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
                  > >
                  > > Ben
                  > >

                  > This is probably meant for the original poster, and not me.
                  >
                  > Everything works fine in my configuration.
                  >
                  > I will add that just because DNS resolution does not work from the
                  > "internet" does not necessarily mean anything. If all of this is set up
                  > internally, or hosts files are used, or some other type of
                  configuration,
                  > then DNS configuration is not necessary.
                  >
                  > I would suggest that the original poster add an entry to their hosts
                  file.
                  > This would at least test the virtual-host configuration internally.
                  >
                  > If access is desired outside of the local network, then Ben is
                  absolutely
                  > correct about DNS.

                • Frank Reijn
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                    You do have two questions here.

                    1 - what and how is DNS

                    2 - Virtual hosting

                    I give you the answer on Q 1.

                    If you type http://192.168.1.77:8081   your browser knows which machine to query because it uses the ip adress to reach your slug.

                    if you type http://pma.rhazzzz. com:8081/   your browser will query the configured DNS server and ask it for the relevant ipaddress.
                    As you stated this is a FAKE  url and  the DNS server does not have an entry for this and your journey on the network stops....

                    Eighter you have a local network DNS and put the pma.rhazzzz.com in , or
                    you do need a host file on EVERY computer to translate pma.rhazzzz.com into
                    192.168.1.77.

                    You just did your first 2 baby steps on the network  :-)

                    For the second question I can not help you... sorry...

                      Frank

                    raspden <raspden@...> wrote:
                    Ok ok. Hold on. I'm a newbie at this so baby steps please. Just to
                    clarify the situation:

                    1) This is for local network access only. It's just a development
                    server so only machines on the network need to be able to see the
                    site. Does this change the need to resolve the DNS?
                    2) If not can someone please explain how this is done?
                    3) I have not setup port-forwarding on the router for this. Is this
                    necessary? I ask because http://192.168. 1.77:8081 works fine. Why
                    would I need port-forwarding for virtual hosts when I don't without?
                    4) The address http://pma.rhazzzz. com:8081/ is a made up url, so this
                    may well be the problem. I really don't mind what the url is, so can
                    someone advise me exactly what I need set up in the lightpd.conf file
                    and what in the virtual host in order to get a working site.
                    5) Something someone on here said confused me. I have added the
                    virtual host at the bottom of the lighttpd.conf file. This should work
                    ok should it not?
                    6) Finally, what modules need to be installed in order to run virtual
                    hosts.

                    --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, "Scott Ruckh" <sruckh@...> wrote:

                    > This is what you said Ben O'Hara
                    > > You need to setup your DNS
                    > >

                    > > bash-2.05b# host pma.rhazzzz. com
                    > > Host pma.rhazzzz. com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
                    > >
                    > > Ben
                    > >

                    > This is probably meant for the original poster, and not me.
                    >
                    > Everything works fine in my configuration.
                    >
                    > I will add that just because DNS resolution does not work from the
                    > "internet" does not necessarily mean anything. If all of this is set up
                    > internally, or hosts files are used, or some other type of
                    configuration,
                    > then DNS configuration is not necessary.
                    >
                    > I would suggest that the original poster add an entry to their hosts
                    file.
                    > This would at least test the virtual-host configuration internally.
                    >
                    > If access is desired outside of the local network, then Ben is
                    absolutely
                    > correct about DNS.

                        __________|__________

                    \ \_^_/ /
                    __\___{_+_}___/__
                    :/ \:

                    Regards,

                    Frank

                    Global Operations Director

                  • Brian Wood
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                      Frank Reijn wrote:

                      > You do have two questions here.
                      >
                      > 1 - what and how is DNS
                      >
                      > 2 - Virtual hosting
                      >

                      > I give you the answer on Q 1.
                      >
                      > If you type http://192.168.1.77:8081 your browser knows which machine
                      > to query because it uses the ip adress to reach your slug.
                      >
                      > if you type http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081/
                      > <http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081/> your browser will query the configured
                      > DNS server and ask it for the relevant ipaddress.
                      > As you stated this is a FAKE url and the DNS server does not have an
                      > entry for this and your journey on the network stops....
                      >
                      > Eighter you have a local network DNS and put the pma.rhazzzz.com in , or
                      > you do need a host file on EVERY computer to translate pma.rhazzzz.com into
                      > 192.168.1.77.
                      >
                      > You just did your first 2 baby steps on the network :-)
                      >
                      > For the second question I can not help you... sorry...

                      I can, perhaps:

                      Normally and originally a web server had a single address and hosted a
                      single site.

                      Virtual hosting allows you to host more than one site using a single
                      machine.

                      One way to do this is to run multiple web servers on different ports,
                      but this doesn't work well because most people and systems expect a web
                      server to be on a certain port.

                      "Name virtual hosting" allows multiple host names to all resolve to the
                      same IP address. The server knows by what name it was called, and will
                      serve up the appropriate site based on this.

                      The problem, of course, is when somebody calls the site via its
                      numerical address, not a name. Now the server has no way to know what
                      site is wanted and will serve up only the "default" site.

                      But as long as the sites are callled by name, and each name has a DNS
                      entry that points to the same server, the server can decide which site
                      to serve up based on what name it was called by.

                      Name virtual hosting has to be enabled in the server, and a separate
                      configuration has to be made for each named site ("named virtual host").

                      Hope that helps.

                      beww
                    • Scott Ruckh
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                        This is what you said Brian Wood
                        > Frank Reijn wrote:
                        >>

                        >> You do have two questions here.
                        >>
                        >> 1 - what and how is DNS
                        >>
                        >> 2 - Virtual hosting
                        >>

                        >> I give you the answer on Q 1.
                        >>
                        >> If you type http://192.168.1.77:8081 your browser knows which machine
                        >> to query because it uses the ip adress to reach your slug.
                        >>
                        >> if you type http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081/
                        >> <http://pma.rhazzzz.com:8081/> your browser will query the configured
                        >> DNS server and ask it for the relevant ipaddress.
                        >> As you stated this is a FAKE url and the DNS server does not have an
                        >> entry for this and your journey on the network stops....
                        >>
                        >> Eighter you have a local network DNS and put the pma.rhazzzz.com in , or
                        >> you do need a host file on EVERY computer to translate pma.rhazzzz.com
                        >> into
                        >> 192.168.1.77.
                        >>
                        >> You just did your first 2 baby steps on the network :-)
                        >>
                        >> For the second question I can not help you... sorry...
                        >
                        > I can, perhaps:
                        >
                        > Normally and originally a web server had a single address and hosted a
                        > single site.
                        >
                        > Virtual hosting allows you to host more than one site using a single
                        > machine.
                        >
                        > One way to do this is to run multiple web servers on different ports,
                        > but this doesn't work well because most people and systems expect a web
                        > server to be on a certain port.
                        >
                        > "Name virtual hosting" allows multiple host names to all resolve to the
                        > same IP address. The server knows by what name it was called, and will
                        > serve up the appropriate site based on this.
                        >
                        > The problem, of course, is when somebody calls the site via its
                        > numerical address, not a name. Now the server has no way to know what
                        > site is wanted and will serve up only the "default" site.
                        >
                        > But as long as the sites are callled by name, and each name has a DNS
                        > entry that points to the same server, the server can decide which site
                        > to serve up based on what name it was called by.
                        >
                        > Name virtual hosting has to be enabled in the server, and a separate
                        > configuration has to be made for each named site ("named virtual host").
                        >
                        > Hope that helps.

                        For the original poster, I will say this again (especially knowing this is
                        for your internal network only).

                        If your client (the one running the web browser) is a windows box:
                        Open up (in your favorite editor) %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts,
                        most commonly, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, and add an entry for
                        your virtual host your are creating for your http server. Possibly
                        something like this:

                        192.168.1.77 pma pma.rhazzzz.com

                        On a *NIX type client, the hosts file is typically located here: /etc/hosts.

                        Again, add an entry to the hosts file, using the exact same syntax as above.

                        This edit of the hosts file will be necessary for every client.

                        If you are in control of a DNS server on your network, then obviously
                        adding possibly a CNAME record for that name would be your best option.
                        If you don't maintain a DNS server for your local network, then use the
                        hosts file as mentioned above.

                        Now from that machine, you should be able to do things like 'ping
                        pma.rhazzzz.com'. This assumes that your name look-up is using the hosts
                        file (which is by default true on most Operating Systems).

                        Now that the name resolution problem is resolved, it is now a matter of
                        getting your virtual host configuration set up in your lighttpd.conf file
                        (I have already posted and example of this, so you should be ready to go).
                      • raspden
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 31, 2008
                          Thanks. That's cleared things up nicely. I didn't realise I still
                          needed to use the hosts file.

                          The local network is just my basic home network. It's run from an
                          Orange Livebox which has a DHCP server. All very simple. Have had a
                          look in the livebox setup and can find no sign of DNS Servers. There
                          is dynamic DNS, but I don't think that can be used for this purpose(???).

                          Does anyone know if the DNS Servers can be resolved on the Livebox?

                          If not I'll just use hosts.

                          Thanks again.

                        • Frank Reijn
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 31, 2008
                            Hi Raspden,

                            No it can not..... The orange box I mean  but.........

                            Why not creating your own DNS server  :-)
                            Although it is a small box, it has a lot of power !!!!!!

                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/DnsMasq

                            Be carefull now...  wrongly setting up internal DNS can mess up your outgoing internet connection.

                            Cheers,

                              Frank

                          • raspden
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                              Brilliant. Thanks. Can this be used alongside the Orange DCHP Server
                              or will I need to disable this in the Orange Livebox?

                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > >
                              > > This edit of the hosts file will be necessary for every client.
                              > >
                              > > If you are in control of a DNS server on your network, then obviously
                              > > adding possibly a CNAME record for that name would be your best
                              option.
                              > > If you don't maintain a DNS server for your local network, then
                              use the
                              > > hosts file as mentioned above.
                              > >
                              > > Now from that machine, you should be able to do things like 'ping
                              > > pma.rhazzzz.com'. This assumes that your name look-up is using the
                              > hosts
                              > > file (which is by default true on most Operating Systems).
                              > >
                              > > Now that the name resolution problem is resolved, it is now a
                              matter of
                              > > getting your virtual host configuration set up in your lighttpd.conf
                              > file
                              > > (I have already posted and example of this, so you should be ready

                            • Frank Reijn
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                                Best in my opinion is to stop the Orange one and setup your own DHCP and DNS.
                                But then do not forget to link to the external internet for the dns part as well!

                                  Frank

                                raspden <raspden@...> wrote:
> [...]

                                > > This edit of the hosts file will be necessary for every client.
                                > >
                                > > If you are in control of a DNS server on your network, then obviously
                                > > adding possibly a CNAME record for that name would be your best
                                option.
                                > > If you don't maintain a DNS server for your local network, then
                                use the
                                > > hosts file as mentioned above.
                                > >
                                > > Now from that machine, you should be able to do things like 'ping
                                > > pma.rhazzzz. com'. This assumes that your name look-up is using the
                                > hosts
                                > > file (which is by default true on most Operating Systems).
                                > >
                                > > Now that the name resolution problem is resolved, it is now a
                                matter of
                                > > getting your virtual host configuration set up in your lighttpd.conf
                                > file
                                > > (I have already posted and example of this, so you should be ready

                                    __________|__________
                                \ \_^_/ /
                                __\___{_+_}___/__
                                :/ \:

                                Regards,

                                Frank

                                Global Operations Director

                              • Gregg C Levine
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                                  Hello!
                                  This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for a large
                                  number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can obviously be
                                  done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work out. I do
                                  know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it may not
                                  work on the thing.

                                  However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can only be
                                  run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo, or even
                                  your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router. Multiple
                                  DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.

                                  Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
                                  discussion.
                                  --
                                  Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                                  raspden <raspden@...> wrote:
> [...]

                                  as above.

                                  > This edit of the hosts file will be necessary for every client.
                                  >
                                  > If you are in control of a DNS server on your network, then obviously
                                  > adding possibly a CNAME record for that name would be your best option.
                                  > If you don't maintain a DNS server for your local network, then use the
                                  > hosts file as mentioned above.
                                  >
                                  > Now from that machine, you should be able to do things like 'ping
                                  > pma.rhazzzz.com'. This assumes that your name look-up is using the
                                  hosts
                                  > file (which is by default true on most Operating Systems).
                                  >
                                  > Now that the name resolution problem is resolved, it is now a matter of
                                  > getting your virtual host configuration set up in your lighttpd.conf
                                  file
                                  > (I have already posted and example of this, so you should be ready

                                • raspden
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                                    Ok. Will try that. Will probably mess it all up but worth giving it a go.

                                    Try it now.

                                  • Scott Ruckh
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                                      This is what you said Gregg C Levine
                                      > Hello!
                                      > This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for a large
                                      > number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can obviously be
                                      > done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work out. I do
                                      > know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it may not
                                      > work on the thing.
                                      >
                                      > However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can only be
                                      > run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo, or even
                                      > your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router. Multiple
                                      > DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.
                                      >
                                      > Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
                                      > discussion.
                                      > --

                                      I have the luxury of having a dedicated Linux box that acts as firewall,
                                      router, DNS, DHCP server, etc. Although I run CentOS there are several
                                      self contained distributions made just for the purpose of being an
                                      internet gateway. They have web interfaces for configuration in hopes to
                                      simplify the setup.

                                      This is not entirely practical for everyone, but it is definitely a
                                      solution that has worked well for me (including a mail host gateway, which
                                      the NSLU2 w/sendmail are configured to use).
                                    • raspden
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 11, 2008
                                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Ruckh" <sruckh@...> wrote:

                                        > This is what you said Gregg C Levine
                                        > > Hello!
                                        > > This is something that I've researched to the vanishing point for
                                        a large
                                        > > number of people. A virtual host, on the Linksys NSLU2 can
                                        obviously be
                                        > > done, and many people have explained thusly how that would work
                                        out. I do
                                        > > know enough about Apache, and since it enjoys a lot of memory, it
                                        may not
                                        > > work on the thing.
                                        > >
                                        > > However if you are going to be running a DHCP service, then it can
                                        only be
                                        > > run from one unit only. This can be either your Orange Box gizmo,
                                        or even
                                        > > your router, or a local Linux box who's connected to that router.
                                        Multiple
                                        > > DHCP servers tend to confuse even the best managed networks.
                                        > >
                                        > > Mailhosts that is a subject of yet another thread and an even bigger
                                        > > discussion.
                                        > > --
                                        >
                                        > I have the luxury of having a dedicated Linux box that acts as firewall,
                                        > router, DNS, DHCP server, etc. Although I run CentOS there are several
                                        > self contained distributions made just for the purpose of being an
                                        > internet gateway. They have web interfaces for configuration in
                                        hopes to
                                        > simplify the setup.
                                        >
                                        > This is not entirely practical for everyone, but it is definitely a
                                        > solution that has worked well for me (including a mail host gateway,
                                        which
                                        > the NSLU2 w/sendmail are configured to use).

                                        Hello Again,

                                        I have now set up dnsmasq on my slug and it works great with no
                                        problems with the internet or anything. I'm really quite impressed
                                        with it. Now I have some sites running as well. I added the following
                                        lines to /etc/hosts

                                        192.168.1.77 pma.aspdendev.com 192.168.1.77
                                        192.168.1.77 bramley.aspdendev.com 192.168.1.77

                                        Now when I navigate to pma.aspdendev.com:8081 I see the phpmyadmin
                                        site as I want.

                                        However I was wondering, as I'm using aspdendev.com as my server name,
                                        is there a way of setting dnsmasq to send all sites which have the
                                        format '<name>.aspdendev.com' to the slug so that I don't have to keep
                                        adding new lines to the /etc/hosts file and restarting the dns server
                                        as i have to do at the moment?

                                        Any help appreciated.