Re: [Debian-NSLU2 4.0r2] Configure Proftpd to run from inetd

  • Bob Cox
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
      In article <fnjbhl+sell@...>,
      nllittle2003 <nllittle@...> wrote:

      > I am running the wrong program?
      > Well ignorance is bliss...
      > So far I have done every thing the docs on proftpd.org has told me.
      > The ftp entry in inetd.conf is what apt-get configured when I
      > installed the package.
      > OK, I'll bite, what program should I be running?
      >
      > 73,
      > Neil, WA4AZL
      > JARS Forever!!
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bluechip <csbluechip@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> >ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/proftpd
      >>
      >> 1. port number. You have "ftp" which means "21"
      >> 2. scoket type
      >> 3. protocol
      >> 4. wait mode
      >> 5. user to run as
      >> 6. program to run
      >> 7. arguments to program (and what you will see when you type "ps")
      >>
      >> you seem to be set up properly, but you are running the wrong program!
      >>
      >> BC

      Some more Googling suggests the syntax you should use depends on whether
      the tcp-wrapper utilities are installed.

      The relevant bit of advice I found is:

      If proftpd is to be run from inetd, find the line in /etc/inetd.conf that
      looks something like:

      ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd

      And replace it with:

      ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/proftpd proftpd

      Or, if the tcp wrappers package is installed on your system, you may use a
      line something like:

      ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/proftpd

      I have never used ftp, preferring to use sftp which comes as part of
      openssh and as far as I know is part of the most minimal Debian
      installation. As a matter of interest, it appears that my Slug does have
      the TCP wrappers library installed:

      terminus:~# aptitude search libwrap0
      i libwrap0 - Wietse Venema's TCP wrappers library
      p libwrap0-dev - Wietse Venema's TCP wrappers library, development file

      Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
      Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/