Trouble with Ethernet & NFS (SlugOS/LE unstable)

  • Thomas Reitmayr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2008
      I just compiled SlugOS/LE "unstable" (kenel version 2.6.23.14) with EABI and installed it on my slug. The basic features work fine, however NFS shows network problems very similar to what I found on the net and what was caused by the (back then) somewhat flaky new ethernet driver. Some log entries from reading a file from the slug:

      <5>nfsd: recvfrom returned errno 14
      <5>nfsd: recvfrom returned errno 14
      <5>nfsd: recvfrom returned errno 14
      <5>rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 2896 when sending 8324 bytes - shutting down socket

      Similar messages (mostly with "errno -14") appear when writing files to the slug.

      In order to get a hint where to continue hunting down the problem - does the bug in the ethernet driver still exist? And if yes, is there a place where it is tracked (which I have not found)?
      Thanks,
      -Thomas

      PS: Otherwise EABI works really nice, encoding time for an audio file using speexenc dropped from 10.36 s to 1.48 s - a factor of 7!

      Beginnen Sie den Tag mit den neuesten Nachrichten. Machen Sie Yahoo! zu Ihrer Startseite!
    • stephane641
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2008
        Thanks for the short EABI benchmark.. I was curious to see how much of
        a difference it would make but you just convinced me... Mind you my
        application (robot) only uses float/doubles a little compared to mp3
        encoding but every cycles count...

        Thanks,

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Reitmayr <treitmayr@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I just compiled SlugOS/LE "unstable" (kenel version 2.6.23.14) with
        EABI and installed it on my slug. The basic features work fine,
        however NFS shows network problems very similar to what I found on the
        net and what was caused by the (back then) somewhat flaky new ethernet
        driver. Some log entries from reading a file from the slug:

        > <5>nfsd: recvfrom returned errno 14
        > <5>nfsd: recvfrom returned errno 14
        > <5>nfsd: recvfrom returned errno 14
        > <5>rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 2896 when sending 8324 bytes -
        shutting down socket

        > Similar messages (mostly with "errno -14") appear when writing files
        to the slug.

        > In order to get a hint where to continue hunting down the problem -
        does the bug in the ethernet driver still exist? And if yes, is there
        a place where it is tracked (which I have not found)?
        > Thanks,
        > -Thomas
        >

        > PS: Otherwise EABI works really nice, encoding time for an audio
        file using speexenc dropped from 10.36 s to 1.48 s - a factor of 7!

        > __________________________________ Ihr erstes Baby? Holen
        Sie sich Tipps von anderen Eltern. www.yahoo.de/clever

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2008
          Can you clarify what previous version you refer to?

          There have been three drivers in SlugOS, hence a bit more precision is
          helpful to understand the issue.

          Regards,
          Mike (mwester)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2008
            I am referring to the driver that right now is used for SlugOS unstable, which at least untill a few hours ago used openembedded/packages/linux/linux-ixp4xx_2.6.23.14.bb to build (the time I compile it).
            From looking at the bb-file's contents, the driver patch is taken from svn://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/kernel/trunk/patches;module=2.6.23

            The file http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/kernel/trunk/patches/2.6.23/ixp4xx-net-drivers.patch tells me it is Krzysztof's driver, not sure if he wrote more than one driver, though.

            > ipkg list_installed | grep
            nfs
            kernel-module-nfs - 2.6.23.14+svnr990-r0 - nfs kernel module
            kernel-module-nfsd - 2.6.23.14+svnr990-r0 - nfsd kernel module
            nfs-utils - 1.0.6-r13 - userspace utilities for kernel nfs

            Previously I mostly used the kernel from SlugOS 3.10, which uses the proprietary driver. So I cannot say if this is just an issue with 2.6.23.14.

            The NFS export options (in /etc/exports) are "rw,all_squash,async,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534"

            -Thomas

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 27, 2008
              Thanks - that'll help me setup to replicate this problem. (In case anyone
              is interested in the gory details, SlugOS 3.10 used the proprietary Intel
              driver; SlugOS 4.8 uses an open-source driver that was never submitted
              upstream. The latest "unstable" SlugOS versions (4.9 and beyond) use the
              2.6.23 kernel and a newer open-source driver (Krzysztof's) that has been
              submitted upstream (but is not yet in its final form)).

              Mike (mwester)

              I am referring to the driver that right now is used for SlugOS unstable,
              which at least untill a few hours ago used
              openembedded/packages/linux/linux-ixp4xx_2.6.23.14.bb to build (the time I
              compile it).
              From looking at the bb-file's contents, the driver patch is taken from
              svn://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/kernel/trunk/patches;module=2.6.23

              ----- Urspr�ngliche Mail ----