Re: [nslu2-linux] udhcpc -- unslung -- NSLU2

  • Scott Ruckh
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 25, 2008
      This is what you said Scott Ruckh
      >>> only the> nameserver directive gets populated correctly from the
      >>> DHCP server. > Thesearch directive does not get populated. Thus even
      >>> on my local LAN I> amrequired to use FQDNs. Not really a big deal, but
      >>> wondering why udhcpc> does not do this automatically.
      >>>
      >>> Why not just create a startup script such as
      >>> /opt/etc/init.d/S99fixsearch,
      >>> which would just do something like:mv /etc/resolv.conf
      >>> /etc/resolv.conf.orig
      >>> echo 'search mydomain.com' > /etc/resolv.conf
      >>> cat /etc/resolv.conf.orig >>/etc/resolv.conf
      >>
      >> Or even easier, now that I think about it -- I don't think order matters
      >> for the directives in the resolv.conf file, does it?
      >> echo 'search mydomain.com' >>/etc/resolv.conf

      Actually the udhcpc version that is running will overwrite the
      /etc/resolv.conf file each time a DHCP RENEW occurs. So even if I update
      the resolv.conf file on boot, the changes will be overwritten.

      I am still wondering what the consequences would be if I overwrote the
      /sbin/udhcpc with the newer version that works correctly. Would this
      totally be a bad thing, or would this file just get overwritten by the
      linksys firmware.

      I can fix the /etc/host problem because it seems to stay persistent
      between boots, so if I could master this udhcpc issue, it would be much
      better.