Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: TwonkyMedia Server on Debian NSLU2

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      "kscookson" <kscookson@...> writes:

      > I think I may have found the answer, I needed the little endian
      > version, http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/4.4/twonkymedia-armel-
      > glibc-2.2.5.zip, instead of the NSLU2 version, seems odd but it does
      > now start. Can anyone please throw some light on this, I would have
      > thought that the NSLU2 version should work, or is that for "UnSlung"
      > version?

      The processor in the NSLU2 is capable of running in either big-endian or
      little-endian mode. Unslung is big-endian, because it has to be compatible
      with the original Linksys firmware. Debian has chosen little-endian
      (probably because the x86 is little-endian, and thus there are fewer porting
      issues for application code). Hence you need to pick the right twonky for
      the job.

      > > I'm assuming the problem is one of two things :-
      > >
      > > 1) It's the wrong type of executable, ie i386, instead of ARM, but I
      > > don't know how to check it; I've also downloaded and installed
      > > several versions now making sure they are the NSLU2 version, so I
      > > think this is unlikely to be the problem.
      > >
      > > 2) My Debian installation is missing something. When I installed it
      > > and was prompted for the type of installation, ie Server, PC, Laptop,
      > > etc, I made sure none of the options were selected, not even the
      > > bottom default one, thus ensuring the minimal installation footprint.

      Mike (mwester)