Re: OWW 1-wire network on a slug NSLU2 - Installing

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
      UPDATE: I didn't keep track exactly of everything I tried, but when
      I did the 'owwnogui -i' command again I received new/different
      results.

      I was getting errors stating that the /opt/etc/oww/devices file
      wasn't there. It wasn't. Now it is, and I don't know how it got there
      or what command suddently made it appear. I'm listing the file below
      as I don't understand its contents.

      Now when I run
      #owwnogui -i I get the following results listed below. I'm missing
      a 'stats' file and I don't know what creates it.

      QUESTIONS:
      1. I didn't/don't understand the 'owwnogui -i' command. Initially it
      just listed some errors then appeared to hang. Now that I have
      the 'devices' file it appears to not like it that the TCP ports
      8888/8899/8891 it is 'Unable to claim'. Appears that 'owwnogui'
      software is able to enter commands interactively although I'm not
      exactly understanding how to enter a command, etc. and what commands
      I should do. Anyone have commands/reference?

      2. I type 'search' and do get back response 'Searching...'
      I type 'save' and get back response 'Unrecognized save option'.

      I just don't understand how this 'owwnogui' interface works.

      3. Can anyone interpret my 'devices' file listed below?

      4. Any info on the 'setupNG' file?

      5. http://oww.sourceforge.net/hardware.html#slug has some info, but
      not exactly clear what your doing.

      6. I thought that DS9490R requires you to install a serial driver for
      serial-to-usb. Apparently this isn't the case.

      -------------------------LISTING FROM 'owwnogui -i'
      # /opt/bin/owwnogui -i
      Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/stats
      Setup read from: /opt/etc/oww/setupNG
      Devices read from: /opt/etc/oww/devices
      Unable to claim TCP port 8888. Perhaps another task claimed it
      already?
      Unable to claim TCP port 8899. Perhaps another task claimed it
      already?
      Unable to claim TCP port 8891. Perhaps another task claimed it
      already?

      ---------------------- My /opt/etc/oww/devices file
      offset 0
      reverse 0
      offset 0
      reverse 0
      driver /dev/ttyS0
      port 0

      # Data sample offset: 3-10us
      ds2480samp 10

      # Write 1 low time: 5-15us
      ds2480write 12

      # Parameters for DS2490.
      # Use -1 for defaults, or 0-7 according to data sheet tables 9-11
      ds2490slew -1
      ds2490write -1
      ds2490samp -1
      offset 0
      reverse 0
      driver /dev/ttyS0
      port 0

      # Data sample offset: 3-10us
      ds2480samp 10

      # Write 1 low time: 5-15us
      ds2480write 12

      # Parameters for DS2490.
      # Use -1 for defaults, or 0-7 according to data sheet tables 9-11
      ds2490slew -1
      ds2490write -1
      ds2490samp -1

      # Test setup
      recharge 1
      autoalloc 1
      ----------------------------------- end of devices file
      --------------------- END ------------------------------------------

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:

      > I have had OWW up and running for a long time and my DS9490R does
      not
      > require any modules. I suggest:
      > 'owwnogui -i' to launch it and then enter 'driver USB' to tell it to
      > use the USB interface and then 'search' and then 'save devices' to
      > save the configuration. That should provide a starting point. If all
      > is well, you can tell owwnogui to switch to daemon mode (background
      > mode) by entering in 'daemon' and enter.
      >
      > Another way is to add 'driver USB' to the devices file.
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <srjjohnson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a slug (www.nslu2-linux.org) running UnSlung version
      V2.3R63-
      > > uNSLUng-6.8-beta
      > >
      > > The slug has 2 usb ports.
      > > On Disk2 USB port I have a 2 gig USB stick.
      > > On Disk1 USB port I have the DS9490R 1-wire to USB adaptor
      (www.maxim-
      > > ic.com) to connect my 1-wire temperature chips.
      > >
      > > To install oww I did the following:
      > >
      > > 1. Logged in as root
      > > 2. #ipkg update (gets latest software packages for slug)
      > > 3. #ipkg install oww (installs oww)
      > > 4. Install appears successful and on complettion says to do the
      > > following:
      > >
      > > A. run 'owwnogui -i'
      > > B. run '/opt/etc/init.d/S80oww'
      > >
      > > 5. #owwnogui -i Gives the following errors:
      > >

      > > Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/devices
      > > No devices file found. You must use the devices dialogue.
      > > Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/stats
      > > Setup read from: /opt/etc/oww/setupNG
      > > Devices read from: /opt/etc/oww/devices
      > > Unable to claim TCP port 8888. Perhaps another task claimed it
      > > already?
      > > Unable to claim TCP port 8899. Perhaps another task claimed it
      > > already?
      > > Unable to claim TCP port 8891. Perhaps another task claimed it
      > > already?
      > >
      > > NOTE:
      > > 1. There is no /opt/etc/oww/devices file.
      > > 2. I don't know what the "devices dialogue" is.
      > > 3. There is no /opt/etc/oww/stats file.
      > >
      > > =======================================
      > > Here's some more info on what I had done:
      > >
      > > The USB to Serial DS9490R runs the FTDI chip set and you need to
      > > install the drivers for this hardware to work.
      > >
      > > I also ran these commands when logged in as root:
      > >
      > > #ipkg install kernel-module-usbserial
      > > #ipkg install kernel-module-ftdi-sio
      > > #depmod -a
      > > #insmod usbserial
      > > #insmod ftdi_sio
      > >
      > > I create the file /unslung/rc.modules, and give it the following
      > > content to automatically install at boot:
      > >
      > > #!/bin/sh
      > > insmod usbserial
      > > insmod ftdi_sio
      > > return 1
      > >

      > > Any help on how to complete the install of OWW is appreciated!

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008

        NEW UPDATE. Documenting to help others

        Answer to my questions:

        1. Get those errors as owwnogui is running in background already. Forgot that I added to startup to run in background.

        Commands for 'owwnogui' are located here http://oww.sourceforge.net/interactive.html

        2. Save options are:

        save [setup | setupng | stats | devices]

        3. Device file changes depending on what you enter in owwnogui.  More info is here:

        http://oww.sourceforge.net/oww_setup.html

        4. Info is here http://oww.sourceforge.net/oww_setup.html#devices