Re: help with nslu2

  • spinny35
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "spinny35" <spinny35@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, i just bought a nslu2 and i need some advice. This seems to
      > be the only place that is forum like to ask questions (if not could
      > someone point me in the right direction?)
      >
      > This is what i want to do with my slug
      >
      > -give me extra usb ports (hub?)
      > -hook up to my wireless router
      > -hook up 2 hard drives to the slug (is i possible to not reformat?)
      > -hook up my printer to the slug
      > -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
      > time (slow internet access)
      >
      > can anyone help me out,
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > ohh and merry xmas

      Hey guys thanks for the replies!

      Ok i need some hand holding... just a little afraid of messing things up.

      i was following the install guide at

      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

      and it say the following before i start to do this.

      configure your network settings (IP address, DNS, hostname) using the
      web interface before flashing the debian-installer image in case you
      do not want to use DHCP

      How exactly is this done, so i do not mess it up.

      also i would like to run debian off a flash stick (1 gig) and on the
      same above site it says the following...

      If you have a USB stick with only 1 GB the current version of the
      installer will by default create a swap partition that is too small
      and your system will run out of memory during the installation and
      fail (the symptom of this is that your SSH connection will be closed).
      On such systems, you therefore have to manually partition your hard
      drive instead of using the guided partition option. Make sure that you
      have at least a swap partition with at least 256 MB.

      How is the best way to format this?

      sorry i am new to linux, but i am learning as fast as i can.

      any other advice and tips for a successful install, please let me know.

      thanks

      just trying to be safe
    • Gordon Farquharson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008
        On Jan 3, 2008 7:17 PM, spinny35 <spinny35@...> wrote:

        > configure your network settings (IP address, DNS, hostname) using the
        > web interface before flashing the debian-installer image in case you
        > do not want to use DHCP
        >
        > How exactly is this done, so i do not mess it up.

        While running the Linksys firmware on the NSLU2, enter the IP address
        of your NSLU2 (by default it is 192.168.1.77) into the location bar of
        your web browser. Go to the configuration settings (I can't remember
        how to navigate there) and change the IP address, DNS, and hostname.
        The computer on which you are using your web browser must be on the
        same subnet as the NSLU2 (in the default case, 192.168.1.0).

        > If you have a USB stick with only 1 GB the current version of the
        > installer will by default create a swap partition that is too small
        > and your system will run out of memory during the installation and
        > fail (the symptom of this is that your SSH connection will be closed).
        > On such systems, you therefore have to manually partition your hard
        > drive instead of using the guided partition option. Make sure that you
        > have at least a swap partition with at least 256 MB.
        >
        > How is the best way to format this?

        Select the manual partitioning option in the Debian installer partitioner [1].

        Gordon

        [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/arm/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition

        --
        Gordon Farquharson
        GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
          Hi all.

          > -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
          > time (slow internet access)

          Here i'm going to try to use torrentflux ( http://www.torrentflux.com/).

          I already use it on my home-server; it has a web gui, a search tool... good project.
          It requires mysql+python+apache+php.
          Sincerely i don't know if NSLU2 is able to run all that ....

          I'll post results.
          Bye!

        • pizzulicchio1981
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mirco Piccin" <pictux@...> wrote:

            > Hi all.
            >
            > > -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
            > > time (slow internet access)
            >
            > Here i'm going to try to use torrentflux
            (http://www.torrentflux.com/).

            > I already use it on my home-server; it has a web gui, a search
            tool... good
            > project.
            > It requires mysql+python+apache+php.
            > Sincerely i don't know if NSLU2 is able to run all that ....
            >
            > I'll post results.
            > Bye!

            I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and
            python. Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...

            Here you can find a great tutorial to make it work. (read alle the
            page of the guide )
            http://www.torrentflux.com/forum/index.php?topic=697.msg6285
          • Mirco Piccin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
              Hi!

              > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and python.

              Perfect!
              I have not already search anything about my idea on torrentflux/nslu2 forum, so thanks!

              > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...

              i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
              Have you done that?

              Regards!

            • pizzulicchio1981
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mirco Piccin" <pictux@...> wrote:

                > Hi!
                >
                > > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and
                python.

                > Perfect!
                > I have not already search anything about my idea on
                torrentflux/nslu2 forum,
                > so thanks!
                >
                > > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...
                >
                > i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
                > Have you done that?
                >
                > Regards!

                Hi!

                I have found it using for a first period apache and mysql but the
                browsing of the web interface isn't usable.... about 30 second to
                switch from a page to another page... retuning all using lighttpd and
                sql lite, the browsing time is about 10 second.

                Do not use amule and torrent at same time! ;-)
              • Paul Coolwind
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                  I use enhanced-ctorrent with with ctcs web interface on a linksys. even if the ctcs is light, and there is no http server running (i disable everything else, including samba and upnp to get more memory), it's a heavy job. Can't believe you put torrentflux and make it usable on a linksys..
                  How many torrents can you keep open?  (me: 3-4 no problems, 5-8 becomes heavy, 9 the ctcs can't work).

                  paul
                  > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and python.

                  Perfect!
                  I have not already search anything about my idea on torrentflux/nslu2 forum, so thanks!

                  > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...

                  i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
                  Have you done that?

                  Regards!

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • Nelson Neves
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pizzulicchio1981"
                    <pizzulicchio@...> wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mirco Piccin" <pictux@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi!
                    > >
                    > > > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and
                    > python.
                    > >
                    > > Perfect!
                    > > I have not already search anything about my idea on
                    > torrentflux/nslu2 forum,
                    > > so thanks!
                    > >
                    > > > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...
                    > >
                    > > i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
                    > > Have you done that?
                    > >
                    > > Regards!
                    > >

                    > Hi!
                    >
                    > I have found it using for a first period apache and mysql but the
                    > browsing of the web interface isn't usable.... about 30 second to
                    > switch from a page to another page... retuning all using lighttpd and
                    > sql lite, the browsing time is about 10 second.
                    >
                    > Do not use amule and torrent at same time! ;-)

                    Just installed lighttpd and still need sql lite! It looks better than
                    I was expecting. Running phpinfo(); will only take between 3 to 5s!

                    You can follow the links on my blog to setup lighttpd+php5. (My Other
                    Projects -> NSLU2 | Debian R4.0R2 section)

                    http://www.botdream.com/blog/linksys-nslu2-network-storage-link-for-usb-20-disk-drives/

                    Will try to update this page with my successful tools!