Re: OWW 1-wire network on a slug NSLU2 - Installing

  • sdm485
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
      I have had OWW up and running for a long time and my DS9490R does not
      require any modules. I suggest:
      'owwnogui -i' to launch it and then enter 'driver USB' to tell it to
      use the USB interface and then 'search' and then 'save devices' to
      save the configuration. That should provide a starting point. If all
      is well, you can tell owwnogui to switch to daemon mode (background
      mode) by entering in 'daemon' and enter.

      Another way is to add 'driver USB' to the devices file.

      Steve

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <srjjohnson@...> wrote:

      > I have a slug (www.nslu2-linux.org) running UnSlung version V2.3R63-
      > uNSLUng-6.8-beta
      >
      > The slug has 2 usb ports.
      > On Disk2 USB port I have a 2 gig USB stick.
      > On Disk1 USB port I have the DS9490R 1-wire to USB adaptor(www.maxim-
      > ic.com) to connect my 1-wire temperature chips.
      >
      > To install oww I did the following:
      >
      > 1. Logged in as root
      > 2. #ipkg update (gets latest software packages for slug)
      > 3. #ipkg install oww (installs oww)
      > 4. Install appears successful and on complettion says to do the
      > following:
      >
      > A. run 'owwnogui -i'
      > B. run '/opt/etc/init.d/S80oww'
      >
      > 5. #owwnogui -i Gives the following errors:
      >

      > Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/devices
      > No devices file found. You must use the devices dialogue.
      > Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/stats
      > Setup read from: /opt/etc/oww/setupNG
      > Devices read from: /opt/etc/oww/devices
      > Unable to claim TCP port 8888. Perhaps another task claimed it
      > already?
      > Unable to claim TCP port 8899. Perhaps another task claimed it
      > already?
      > Unable to claim TCP port 8891. Perhaps another task claimed it
      > already?
      >
      > NOTE:
      > 1. There is no /opt/etc/oww/devices file.
      > 2. I don't know what the "devices dialogue" is.
      > 3. There is no /opt/etc/oww/stats file.
      >
      > =======================================
      > Here's some more info on what I had done:
      >
      > The USB to Serial DS9490R runs the FTDI chip set and you need to
      > install the drivers for this hardware to work.
      >
      > I also ran these commands when logged in as root:
      >
      > #ipkg install kernel-module-usbserial
      > #ipkg install kernel-module-ftdi-sio
      > #depmod -a
      > #insmod usbserial
      > #insmod ftdi_sio
      >
      > I create the file /unslung/rc.modules, and give it the following
      > content to automatically install at boot:
      >
      > #!/bin/sh
      > insmod usbserial
      > insmod ftdi_sio
      > return 1
      >

      > Any help on how to complete the install of OWW is appreciated!

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
        UPDATE: I didn't keep track exactly of everything I tried, but when
        I did the 'owwnogui -i' command again I received new/different
        results.

        I was getting errors stating that the /opt/etc/oww/devices file
        wasn't there. It wasn't. Now it is, and I don't know how it got there
        or what command suddently made it appear. I'm listing the file below
        as I don't understand its contents.

        Now when I run
        #owwnogui -i I get the following results listed below. I'm missing
        a 'stats' file and I don't know what creates it.

        QUESTIONS:
        1. I didn't/don't understand the 'owwnogui -i' command. Initially it
        just listed some errors then appeared to hang. Now that I have
        the 'devices' file it appears to not like it that the TCP ports
        8888/8899/8891 it is 'Unable to claim'. Appears that 'owwnogui'
        software is able to enter commands interactively although I'm not
        exactly understanding how to enter a command, etc. and what commands
        I should do. Anyone have commands/reference?

        2. I type 'search' and do get back response 'Searching...'
        I type 'save' and get back response 'Unrecognized save option'.

        I just don't understand how this 'owwnogui' interface works.

        3. Can anyone interpret my 'devices' file listed below?

        4. Any info on the 'setupNG' file?

        5. http://oww.sourceforge.net/hardware.html#slug has some info, but
        not exactly clear what your doing.

        6. I thought that DS9490R requires you to install a serial driver for
        serial-to-usb. Apparently this isn't the case.

        -------------------------LISTING FROM 'owwnogui -i'
        # /opt/bin/owwnogui -i
        Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/stats
        Setup read from: /opt/etc/oww/setupNG
        Devices read from: /opt/etc/oww/devices
        Unable to claim TCP port 8888. Perhaps another task claimed it
        already?
        Unable to claim TCP port 8899. Perhaps another task claimed it
        already?
        Unable to claim TCP port 8891. Perhaps another task claimed it
        already?

        ---------------------- My /opt/etc/oww/devices file
        offset 0
        reverse 0
        offset 0
        reverse 0
        driver /dev/ttyS0
        port 0

        # Data sample offset: 3-10us
        ds2480samp 10

        # Write 1 low time: 5-15us
        ds2480write 12

        # Parameters for DS2490.
        # Use -1 for defaults, or 0-7 according to data sheet tables 9-11
        ds2490slew -1
        ds2490write -1
        ds2490samp -1
        offset 0
        reverse 0
        driver /dev/ttyS0
        port 0

        # Data sample offset: 3-10us
        ds2480samp 10

        # Write 1 low time: 5-15us
        ds2480write 12

        # Parameters for DS2490.
        # Use -1 for defaults, or 0-7 according to data sheet tables 9-11
        ds2490slew -1
        ds2490write -1
        ds2490samp -1

        # Test setup
        recharge 1
        autoalloc 1
        ----------------------------------- end of devices file
        --------------------- END ------------------------------------------

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008

          NEW UPDATE. Documenting to help others

          Answer to my questions:

          1. Get those errors as owwnogui is running in background already. Forgot that I added to startup to run in background.

          Commands for 'owwnogui' are located here http://oww.sourceforge.net/interactive.html

          2. Save options are:

          save [setup | setupng | stats | devices]

          3. Device file changes depending on what you enter in owwnogui.  More info is here:

          http://oww.sourceforge.net/oww_setup.html

          4. Info is here http://oww.sourceforge.net/oww_setup.html#devices