Initial root password for angstrom on NSLU2 ?

  • jfpmann
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
      I flashed my test slug a second time with angstrom after I "resetted"
      it by flashing with unslung.
      But the result is the same: no password fits, neither from uNSLung nor
      from opeNSLUg and it is also not empty.
      Does anyone know the correct one ?

      Thanks and Regards,
      Joachim
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
        jfpmann wrote:
        > I flashed my test slug a second time with angstrom after I "resetted"
        > it by flashing with unslung.
        > But the result is the same: no password fits, neither from uNSLung nor
        > from opeNSLUg and it is also not empty.
        > Does anyone know the correct one ?

        The angstrom password is empty. Just hit return.

        -- Rod
      • jfpmann
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008

          > jfpmann wrote:
          > > I flashed my test slug a second time with angstrom after I "resetted"
          > > it by flashing with unslung.
          > > But the result is the same: no password fits, neither from uNSLung nor
          > > from opeNSLUg and it is also not empty.
          > > Does anyone know the correct one ?
          >
          > The angstrom password is empty. Just hit return.
          >
          > -- Rod

          Yes, meanwhile I realized it from the /etc/passwd within the rootfs
          image which will be created during a "make angstrombe" using the
          Mastermakefile.

          If I'm right there is used dropbear for ssh-connections (I'm not so
          familiar with this sshd implementation).

          When I'm hitting return it will refused with something like " ...
          (password,policy)".
          Probably there is no empty password allowed.

          Is there a opportunity to modify either dropbears policy or the empty
          password within /etc/password on the rootfs image before finishing
          with making the firmware-image ?

          BTW: If there is a way to do so it could be also used as a opportunity
          to pre-configure the slug for it's final use.

          Regards,
          Joachim
        • jfpmann
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
            Hello,

            after modifying the /etc/passwd (by adding a root password) and
            creating the firmware image again (mkfs.jffs2 + slugimage),
            I got now access via ssh.

            Next Step: Is there a similar technique like in slugOsbe (i.e. turnup)
            to change the system booting from the disk ?

            If not, what is todo to get it booting from disk ?

            Thanks in advance,
            Joachim

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
              jfpmann wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > after modifying the /etc/passwd (by adding a root password) and
              > creating the firmware image again (mkfs.jffs2 + slugimage),
              > I got now access via ssh.
              >
              > Next Step: Is there a similar technique like in slugOsbe (i.e. turnup)
              > to change the system booting from the disk ?
              >
              > If not, what is todo to get it booting from disk ?

              You need to install the apex-env package, then change the apex cmdline
              variable to boot directly from the hard disk on the kernel command line
              (e.g. root=/dev/sda1).

              Don't forget the rootdelay=10 to account for the slow startup of hard disks.

              -- Rod
            • montyny1
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 13, 2008
                Is it possible to commit this change and update the hosted binaries?
                I'd like to try Angstrom and I see several people complaining that the
                blank password doesn't work (including myself).

                This seems to be the only resolution - and to be honest it seems
                pretty daunting to build th whole image!

                Bryan.
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jfpmann" <jfpman@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > after modifying the /etc/passwd (by adding a root password) and
                > creating the firmware image again (mkfs.jffs2 + slugimage),
                > I got now access via ssh.
                >
                > Next Step: Is there a similar technique like in slugOsbe (i.e. turnup)
                > to change the system booting from the disk ?
                >
                > If not, what is todo to get it booting from disk ?
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                > Joachim
                >

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jfpmann" <jfpman@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:

                > > > The angstrom password is empty. Just hit return.
                > > >
                > > > -- Rod
                > > >

                > > Yes, meanwhile I realized it from the /etc/passwd within the rootfs
                > > image which will be created during a "make angstrombe" using the
                > > Mastermakefile.

                > > Is there a opportunity to modify either dropbears policy or the empty
                > > password within /etc/password on the rootfs image before finishing
                > > with making the firmware-image ?
                > >
                > > BTW: If there is a way to do so it could be also used as a opportunity
                > > to pre-configure the slug for it's final use.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Joachim

              • jfpmann
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2008
                  I'm not able to update any hosted thing I guess.

                  I took the components needed for assembling the image, added a
                  password to the root-entry in the passwd file and repeated the last 2
                  steps manually to re-create the firmware binary.(mkfs.jffs2 and
                  slugimage).

                  Ofcourse I had to pass the "make angstrombe"-process using the
                  Mastermakefile one time to get all the pieces (and the information how
                  the image will created finally...).

                  Nevertheless it should be easy for the developer crew to modify the
                  related step (i.e.generating the rootfs) so a password for root will
                  be set ...

                  Regards,
                  Joachim