OWW 1-wire network on a slug NSLU2 - Installing

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
      I have a slug (www.nslu2-linux.org) running UnSlung version V2.3R63-
      uNSLUng-6.8-beta

      The slug has 2 usb ports.
      On Disk2 USB port I have a 2 gig USB stick.
      On Disk1 USB port I have the DS9490R 1-wire to USB adaptor(www.maxim-
      ic.com) to connect my 1-wire temperature chips.

      To install oww I did the following:

      1. Logged in as root
      2. #ipkg update (gets latest software packages for slug)
      3. #ipkg install oww (installs oww)
      4. Install appears successful and on complettion says to do the
      following:

      A. run 'owwnogui -i'
      B. run '/opt/etc/init.d/S80oww'

      5. #owwnogui -i Gives the following errors:

      Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/devices
      No devices file found. You must use the devices dialogue.
      Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/stats
      Setup read from: /opt/etc/oww/setupNG
      Devices read from: /opt/etc/oww/devices
      Unable to claim TCP port 8888. Perhaps another task claimed it
      already?
      Unable to claim TCP port 8899. Perhaps another task claimed it
      already?
      Unable to claim TCP port 8891. Perhaps another task claimed it
      already?

      NOTE:
      1. There is no /opt/etc/oww/devices file.
      2. I don't know what the "devices dialogue" is.
      3. There is no /opt/etc/oww/stats file.

      =======================================
      Here's some more info on what I had done:

      The USB to Serial DS9490R runs the FTDI chip set and you need to
      install the drivers for this hardware to work.

      I also ran these commands when logged in as root:

      #ipkg install kernel-module-usbserial
      #ipkg install kernel-module-ftdi-sio
      #depmod -a
      #insmod usbserial
      #insmod ftdi_sio

      I create the file /unslung/rc.modules, and give it the following
      content to automatically install at boot:

      #!/bin/sh
      insmod usbserial
      insmod ftdi_sio
      return 1

      Any help on how to complete the install of OWW is appreciated!
    • sdm485
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
        I have had OWW up and running for a long time and my DS9490R does not
        require any modules. I suggest:
        'owwnogui -i' to launch it and then enter 'driver USB' to tell it to
        use the USB interface and then 'search' and then 'save devices' to
        save the configuration. That should provide a starting point. If all
        is well, you can tell owwnogui to switch to daemon mode (background
        mode) by entering in 'daemon' and enter.

        Another way is to add 'driver USB' to the devices file.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
          UPDATE: I didn't keep track exactly of everything I tried, but when
          I did the 'owwnogui -i' command again I received new/different
          results.

          I was getting errors stating that the /opt/etc/oww/devices file
          wasn't there. It wasn't. Now it is, and I don't know how it got there
          or what command suddently made it appear. I'm listing the file below
          as I don't understand its contents.

          Now when I run
          #owwnogui -i I get the following results listed below. I'm missing
          a 'stats' file and I don't know what creates it.

          QUESTIONS:
          1. I didn't/don't understand the 'owwnogui -i' command. Initially it
          just listed some errors then appeared to hang. Now that I have
          the 'devices' file it appears to not like it that the TCP ports
          8888/8899/8891 it is 'Unable to claim'. Appears that 'owwnogui'
          software is able to enter commands interactively although I'm not
          exactly understanding how to enter a command, etc. and what commands
          I should do. Anyone have commands/reference?

          2. I type 'search' and do get back response 'Searching...'
          I type 'save' and get back response 'Unrecognized save option'.

          I just don't understand how this 'owwnogui' interface works.

          3. Can anyone interpret my 'devices' file listed below?

          4. Any info on the 'setupNG' file?

          5. http://oww.sourceforge.net/hardware.html#slug has some info, but
          not exactly clear what your doing.

          6. I thought that DS9490R requires you to install a serial driver for
          serial-to-usb. Apparently this isn't the case.

          -------------------------LISTING FROM 'owwnogui -i'
          # /opt/bin/owwnogui -i
          Error when loading setup from /opt/etc/oww/stats
          Setup read from: /opt/etc/oww/setupNG
          Devices read from: /opt/etc/oww/devices
          Unable to claim TCP port 8888. Perhaps another task claimed it
          already?
          Unable to claim TCP port 8899. Perhaps another task claimed it
          already?
          Unable to claim TCP port 8891. Perhaps another task claimed it
          already?

          ---------------------- My /opt/etc/oww/devices file
          offset 0
          reverse 0
          offset 0
          reverse 0
          driver /dev/ttyS0
          port 0

          # Data sample offset: 3-10us
          ds2480samp 10

          # Write 1 low time: 5-15us
          ds2480write 12

          # Parameters for DS2490.
          # Use -1 for defaults, or 0-7 according to data sheet tables 9-11
          ds2490slew -1
          ds2490write -1
          ds2490samp -1
          offset 0
          reverse 0
          driver /dev/ttyS0
          port 0

          # Data sample offset: 3-10us
          ds2480samp 10

          # Write 1 low time: 5-15us
          ds2480write 12

          # Parameters for DS2490.
          # Use -1 for defaults, or 0-7 according to data sheet tables 9-11
          ds2490slew -1
          ds2490write -1
          ds2490samp -1

          # Test setup
          recharge 1
          autoalloc 1
          ----------------------------------- end of devices file
          --------------------- END ------------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008

            NEW UPDATE. Documenting to help others

            Answer to my questions:

            1. Get those errors as owwnogui is running in background already. Forgot that I added to startup to run in background.

            Commands for 'owwnogui' are located here http://oww.sourceforge.net/interactive.html

            2. Save options are:

            save [setup | setupng | stats | devices]

            3. Device file changes depending on what you enter in owwnogui.  More info is here:

            http://oww.sourceforge.net/oww_setup.html

            4. Info is here http://oww.sourceforge.net/oww_setup.html#devices