Re: Debian installer finally working again on NSLU2

  • Bob Cox
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
      In article <flgud7+pma1@...>,
      Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
      > close to my country!
      >
      > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
      > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!

      I'm reasonably sure that Portugal and the UK are both in the same time
      zone (ie GMT = WET).

      --
      Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK. http://pippin.co.uk/
      Local weather: http://bobcox.com/filton-weather/#latest
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
        <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
        > > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:

        > > all

        > > there
        > > > >

        > > > Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
        > > > Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!
        > > >
        > > > All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror.
        > > 1st
        > > > mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
        > > > getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!
        > > >
        > > > Keep up the good work! :)
        > > >

        > > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
        > > I'm experiencing similar problems.
        > >

        > Hi Tom,
        >
        > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
        > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far away.
        >
        > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
        > close to my country!
        >
        > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
        > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
        >
        > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.

        Hi again Tom,

        forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
        HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
        where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before, didn't
        realize that would make any difference to the installer.

        Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for Portugal).
        At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.

        Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
          <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
          > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"

          > > > all

          > > > there

          > > > 1st

          > > > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
          > > > I'm experiencing similar problems.
          > > >

          > > Hi Tom,
          > >
          > > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
          > > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far
          away.

          > > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
          > > close to my country!
          > >
          > > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will
          influence, but
          > > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
          > >
          > > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
          > >

          > Hi again Tom,
          >
          > forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
          > HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
          > where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before,
          didn't
          > realize that would make any difference to the installer.
          >
          > Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for
          Portugal).
          > At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.
          >
          > Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!

          Nelson,

          No problem you forgot to mention because it did not really make a
          difference :-)

          I'm going to put the rest of my reply in the other thread or there
          will be two places with the same problem. Please continue reading
          there.
        • Nelson Neves
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
            > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
            > > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:

            > failed

            > thanks for

            > likely)
            > installation.

            > debian!

            > mirror.
            > was

            > > > Hi Tom,
            > > >
            > > > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
            > > > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far
            > away.
            > > >
            > > > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
            > > > close to my country!
            > > >
            > > > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will
            > influence, but
            > > > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
            > > >
            > > > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
            > > >

            > > Hi again Tom,
            > >
            > > forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
            > > HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
            > > where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before,
            > didn't
            > > realize that would make any difference to the installer.
            > >
            > > Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for
            > Portugal).
            > > At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.
            > >
            > > Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!
            > >

            > Nelson,
            >
            > No problem you forgot to mention because it did not really make a
            > difference :-)
            >
            > I'm going to put the rest of my reply in the other thread or there
            > will be two places with the same problem. Please continue reading
            > there.

            Hi again,

            I recently had a problem with my hard drive and decided to install
            debian-4.0r3 and started to have similar problems. I found that I was
            having problems with DNS resolution, probably my DSL router not
            working properly or either my ISP was having some problems.

            Well, just fixed this by adding OpenDNS IP to /etc/resolv.conf !
            (during install process just opened another ssh session and selected
            bash ...).

            Just thought that the information could be useful for someone!

            Once again, thank you for all your help.