Debian Etch 4.0rc2 installation problem

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
      I've tried a number of times to install Debian onto my slug.
      Hardware is not modified, i flashed it with the unoffical image from
      cyrius.com and followed the instructions from the install page.
      (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html)

      I'm using a 2GB usb flash drive which is partioned as follows:

      SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 2.0 GB Ut163
      USB2FlashStorage
      #1 primary 512 MB F swap
      #2 primary 1.5 GB B F ext3 /

      I'm using debconf priority low, so i can select an ftp mirror.
      It seems there is a problem installing debconf. I tried using mirror
      ftp.uk.debian.org or ftp.nl.debian.org and ftp.be.debian.org and i
      select stable.

      nano /var/log/syslog

      Sep 3 08:20:27 debootstrap: tar:
      Sep 3 08:20:27 debootstrap: .: time stamp 2007-09-27 10:28:02 is
      222919654.525443441 s in the future
      Sep 3 08:20:27 debootstrap:
      Sep 3 08:20:27 debootstrap: Selecting previously deselected package
      debconf.
      Sep 3 08:20:27 debootstrap: (Reading database ...
      Sep 3 08:20:27 debootstrap: 736 files and directories currently
      installed.)
      Sep 3 08:20:27 debootstrap: Unpacking debconf
      (from .../debconf_1.5.11etch1_all.deb) ...
      Sep 3 08:20:31 debootstrap: Setting up debconf (1.5.11etch1) ...
      Sep 3 08:20:31 debootstrap: dpkg: debconf: dependency problems, but
      configuring anyway as you request:
      Sep 3 08:20:31 debootstrap: debconf depends on debconf-i18n |
      debconf-english; however:
      Sep 3 08:20:31 debootstrap: Package debconf-i18n is not installed.
      Sep 3 08:20:31 debootstrap: Package debconf-english is not
      installed.
      Sep 3 08:20:48 debootstrap: dpkg: error processing debconf (--
      install):
      Sep 3 08:20:48 debootstrap: subprocess post-installation script
      killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
      Sep 3 08:20:49 debootstrap: Errors were encountered while processing:
      Sep 3 08:20:49 debootstrap: debconf
      Sep 3 08:27:20 base-installer: error: exiting on error base-
      installer/debootstrap-failed
      Sep 3 08:27:21 main-menu[2230]: WARNING **: Configuring 'base-
      installer' failed with error code 1
      Sep 3 08:27:21 main-menu[2230]: WARNING **: Menu item 'base-
      installer' failed.
      Sep 3 08:27:21 main-menu[2230]: DEBUG: resolver (ext2-modules):
      package doesn't exist (ignored)
      Sep 3 08:27:31 main-menu[2230]: INFO: Falling back to the package
      description for auto-install
      Sep 3 08:27:31 main-menu[2230]: INFO: Falling back to the package
      description for ai-choosers
      Sep 3 08:27:31 main-menu[2230]: INFO: Menu item 'di-utils-shell'
      selected

      I can't seem to get past this... any ideas would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Tom
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        * Tom <tom_demets@...> [2008-01-02 20:40]:
        > Sep 3 08:20:48 debootstrap: dpkg: error processing debconf (--
        > install):
        > Sep 3 08:20:48 debootstrap: subprocess post-installation script
        > killed by signal (Segmentation fault)

        Sounds like a hardware problem given that it works for everyone else.
        Does your machine run without any problems when you use a different
        NSLU2 firmware? Can you reproduce this problem in the installer?
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * Tom <tom_demets@...> [2008-01-02 20:40]:
          > > Sep 3 08:20:48 debootstrap: dpkg: error processing debconf (--
          > > install):
          > > Sep 3 08:20:48 debootstrap: subprocess post-installation script
          > > killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
          >
          > Sounds like a hardware problem given that it works for everyone
          else.
          > Does your machine run without any problems when you use a different
          > NSLU2 firmware? Can you reproduce this problem in the installer?
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

          Martin, thank you for your input.
          I've ran the official Linksys firmware about 3months, followed by
          about nine months of openslug... This worked fine.
          The only thing changed is that i'm now trying to install on a flash
          device.
          So you could be right when you say it's a hardware error...
          Problem is I don't have a big enough memstick lying around and I
          prefer not to install to a disk. (Unless there is no other option).

          I'm not sure what you mean by: "Can you reproduce this problem in the
          installer?" Could you please clarify?

          In the meantime I'll keep trying and let you know.
        • Martin Michlmayr
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
            * Tom <tom_demets@...> [2008-01-04 16:39]:
            > I'm not sure what you mean by: "Can you reproduce this problem in
            > the installer?" Could you please clarify?

            Can you start the installer again from scratch and see if you get the
            same error.

            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

              > * Tom <tom_demets@...> [2008-01-04 16:39]:
              > > I'm not sure what you mean by: "Can you reproduce this problem in
              > > the installer?" Could you please clarify?
              >
              > Can you start the installer again from scratch and see if you get
              the
              > same error.
              >
              > --
              > Martin Michlmayr
              > http://www.cyrius.com/

              Hi,
              This is a long post, but please read trough to the end...
              I reflashed the nslu and started the installer again.
              So, I use ftp mirror ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org since this was verified
              to work a couple of post back in another thread.

              I'm getting to the point that I can select the kernel, I'm selecting
              (hopefully) the right one: linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx.

              After about a minute, the installer turns red, syslog gives me this:
              Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx.
              Sep 3 08:58:34 apt-install: (Reading database ...
              Sep 3 08:58:35 apt-install: 7325 files and directories currently
              installed.)
              Sep 3 08:58:35 apt-install: Unpacking linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx
              (from .../linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx_2.6.18.dfsg.1-17_arm.deb) ...
              Sep 3 08:58:54 apt-install: Done.
              Sep 3 08:58:54 apt-install: dpkg: error
              processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-
              ixp4xx_2.6.18.dfsg.1-17_arm.deb (--unpack):
              Sep 3 08:58:54 apt-install: subprocess pre-installation script
              killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
              Sep 3 08:59:06 apt-install: Errors were encountered while processing:
              Sep 3 08:59:06 apt-install: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-
              2.6.18-5-ixp4xx_2.6.18.dfsg.1-17_arm.deb
              Sep 3 08:59:07 apt-install: E:
              Sep 3 08:59:07 apt-install: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an
              error code (1)
              Sep 3 08:59:08 base-installer: error: exiting on error base-
              installer/kernel/failed-install

              Notice how my time is way off, the Setting Up The Clock step also
              took a while (2mins), I don't know if this is normal.
              The installer complains about it:
              Sep 3 08:58:34 apt-install: .: time stamp 2007-12-24 03:13:18 is
              230494483.544327183 s in the future

              I don't think the segmentation fault is hardware related, I have not
              tested the installation with a HD yet, but the stick seems to work
              fine in windows xp.
              In addition to the segmentation fault, i found this while searching
              for an answer:

              there seems to be a bugreport filed against the installer, but was
              supposed to be solved, I don't know if this is related?

              The bugreport also suggests I should delete /target/var/cache/apt/*.*
              so this is my next step.

              Thanks for all your help, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

              Tom
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
                Hi all,

                Again no luck this time, i have absolutely no idea as to why...
                Like Nelson, i used the UK mirror and i set my time zone for utc wich
                is gmt according to this website
                http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Universal+Coordinate+Time+(GMT).
                What should be the right time after answering the time(zone) questions
                on the slug?
                Mine is 3 sep which is obviously wrong... Could this be a firewall
                problem since ntp is using port 123 according to this site?
                I'm going to put the slug in my DMZ zone and give it a another try.
                Also, i'm using the linksys wrt54GL router with firmware version
                Firmware Version: v4.30.7 (the latest), is this considered a buggy one?

                Thanks again for all the help
              • Martin Michlmayr
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
                  * Tom <tom_demets@...> [2008-01-04 19:41]:
                  > Notice how my time is way off, the Setting Up The Clock step also
                  > took a while (2mins), I don't know if this is normal.

                  I think that's normal.

                  > I don't think the segmentation fault is hardware related, I have not
                  > tested the installation with a HD yet, but the stick seems to work
                  > fine in windows xp.
                  > In addition to the segmentation fault, i found this while searching
                  > for an answer:

                  That was fixed a long time ago. Apart from hardware, I don't really
                  see a reason why the installer would segfault for you and not for
                  others. I'm afraid I don't have any other explanation. :(
                  --
                  Martin Michlmayr
                  http://www.cyrius.com/
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 16, 2008
                    All,

                    Sorry for the delay, but i've been busy lately :-).
                    You seem to be right, it's probably a hardware error.
                    My El Cheapo 2GB stick has file system problems:
                    * attempt to access beyond end of device (inode 8)
                    * segmentation faults
                    probably due to bad ram chip('s).

                    I've tried again, skipping the first 100MB on the stick. (Is this a
                    problem for the MBR or something?)
                    The installer continues and _warns_ me that it will reboot into the new
                    system. However, the slug reboots continiously afterwards. In other
                    words, it never beeps and I can't ssh into the slug.

                    I hope I can find some time this weekend to install a serial port so I
                    can review boot messages.

                    Any day now, a Corsair survivor 4GB stick should arrive in my mailbox
                    so I'm hoping I'll have better luck.

                    Greetings,

                    Tom