Re: Best File System For Streaming MP3 Files

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bill_steiner2002" <bsdaiwa@...>
      wrote:

      > I am using Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta with a EXT3 formatted
      > 500Gig USB SATA drive attached to the Disk 1 port and a 512MB
      Sandisk
      > mini Cruzer attached to Disk 2. I use it primarily
      > for streaming music to a music bridge attached to my home
      > entertainment system.
      >
      > I am using WinAmp 5.5 as the agent to stream the music to a Linksys
      > WMB54G Music Bridge.
      >
      > My question is, what is the best format (EXT3, FAT32 or NTSF) to use
      > on the drive used to store the music files? I currently use EXT3 but
      > it seems really slow. I have another USB SATA drive attached to my
      PC,
      > formatted as NTFS with the same selection of songs and that streams
      > the songs much faster than the drive attached to the NSLU2. I am not
      > sure if the issue is related to the drives format or the ability of
      > the NSLU2's ability to process the files.
      > Can someone offer me any advice or suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.

      Definately look at seeing if you can stream straight to the device,
      if ineeded, you are doing like samba to a pc then winamp to the device

      I helped someone on IRC who was having similar problems, and it
      seeming slow. De-underclocking the unit, and switching to using
      TwonkyMedia to stream straight to the device made it a lot quicker

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugAsAudioPlayer

      May be of interest to you
    • Alasdair Campbell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
        Jon Smirl wrote:

        > On 12/31/07, ragacycle <alcoheca@...
        > <mailto:alcoheca%40googlemail.com>> wrote:
        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com>, Bluechip <csbluechip@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > First of all remember that your hard drive will ALWAYS be a LOT
        > > > faster than the USB wire it is talking down, so more important than
        > > > the speed of your hard drive is the speed of the USB. Then, of
        > > > course, you transfer the data over a 100Mbit network ...which is
        > > > about 20% the speed of USB.
        > > >
        > > > So long as your hard drive can read data a little faster than
        > > > ethernet can send it, hard drive speed [or rather, data transfer
        > > > thereof] will NOT matter.
        > >
        > > Do you know why when I run hdparm on my attached PATA drive in a
        > > USB2.0 enclosure the speed from hdparm on the slug is 8.5 MBps while
        > > from my desktop it's closer to 30 MBps ?
        > >
        > > This is with unslung firmware: V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta.
        >
        > I just tried this with my own desktop/NSLU2 pair and there is quite a
        > difference. This isn't a problem with the file system on the device.
        >
        > I get 34.70MB/sec for cached reads (278Mb/sec). The link is capable of
        > 480Mb/sec. So that is a 50% loss somewhere. Some is lost in protocol
        > overhead but not 50%.
        >
        > For buffered reads I see 9.51MB/sec. I know the disk is capable of 40MB/sec.
        >
        > Most likely explanation for the drop from 40MB to 9.51MB is the tiny
        > microcontroller in the USB disk enclosure. It may not be fast enough.
        > Another likely culprit is that the NSLU2 is too slow to keep up with
        > the revolutions of the disk and is being forced to wait for another
        > revolution before the sector reappears. I don't know how hdparm
        > requests its IO, is it one big request or lots of little ones?

        No trouble playing MP3s, I'm just a little surprised with what I read
        about the NSLU2 being a good performer with data transfers. I was hoping
        the bottle neck to be the 100Mbps Ethernet link, otherwise why bother
        with the high speed usb 2.0 controller in the slug's design?

        The enclosure was used for both hdparm tests so unless I'm mistaken that
        can't be a factor.

        However... I've hijacked this thread so perhaps I should do more
        research and post a new message if needs. hdparm is actually spitting
        out some rubbish when I run it without any switches

        happy new year
      • Shane Kerr
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
          All,

          On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 05:27:18PM +0000, Bluechip wrote:

          > In my experience SaMBa is the culprit for sharing speed ...On my
          > xbox it is PAINFUL (although I think this is something to do with
          > XBMC too) ...if you can, try a different protocol ...if streaming to
          > XBMC, ccxstream is a good option :)

          I also found Samba to be slow. For Linux clients connecting to the
          NSLU2 I use NFS for file sharing - performance is a lot better. I run
          Samba at the same time for sharing to Windows clients.

          --
          Shane