Re: [nslu2-linux] Which NSLU2 firmware to choose?

  • Yann E. MORIN
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
      Hello there!

      On Saturday 29 December 2007 10:13:48 Rod Whitby wrote:
      > I often get asked to recommend a distribution for the NSLU2.
      [--SNIP--]
      > Unslung
      [--SNIP--]
      > SlugOS
      [--SNIP--]
      > Angstrom
      [--SNIP--]
      > Debian
      [--SNIP--]
      > OpenWrt
      [--SNIP--]

      Thank you Rod for these explanations! Very nice to read, and straight to the
      point.

      I'll add a sixth one: DIY (Do It Yourself).

      DIY follows a different route than other distributions. With DIY you build
      your firmware from source, adding and building the packages you need,
      configuring them the way you want. DIY is targeted at very advanced geeks
      that know their way through JTAG, kernel, building packages, etc...

      The way to go for DIY is as follows:
      - confirm JTAG access to the slug
      - confirm serial access to the slug
      - grab a toolchain (or better yet, build one from source)
      - grab APEX sources, configure and build APEX
      - flash APEX, using JTAG, overwriting existing RedBoot
      - confirm APEX is working (serial console)
      - grab latest kernel sources, configure and build kernel
      - transfer kernel to slug (serial, or ethernet with latest APEX)
      - confirm kernel is booting (down to panic while mounting root)
      - grab busybox, configure with only a shell, and build
      - build a file system (JFFS2, ext2, as you wish) with busybox
      - transfer the file system to slug (again, via serial or ethernet)
      - boot kernel with init=/bin/sh on the comand line
      - confirm shell is working (type some commands)
      - go on with more complex stuff, increasing complexity one step at a time.

      This is how I've gone to setup my toy-slug. Merely a proof a concept though.

      Regards,
      Yann E. MORIN.

      | Yann E. MORIN | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
      | +0/33 662376056 | Software Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN | ^ |
      | --==< °_° >==-- °------------.-------: X AGAINST | /e\ There is no |
      | http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL | """ conspiracy. |
      °------------------------------°-------°------------------°--------------------°
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
        Yann E. MORIN wrote:
        > I'll add a sixth one: DIY (Do It Yourself).
        >
        > DIY follows a different route than other distributions. With DIY you build
        > your firmware from source, adding and building the packages you need,
        > configuring them the way you want. DIY is targeted at very advanced geeks
        > that know their way through JTAG, kernel, building packages, etc...
        >
        > The way to go for DIY is as follows:
        > - confirm JTAG access to the slug
        > - confirm serial access to the slug
        > - grab a toolchain (or better yet, build one from source)
        > - grab APEX sources, configure and build APEX
        > - flash APEX, using JTAG, overwriting existing RedBoot
        > - confirm APEX is working (serial console)
        > - grab latest kernel sources, configure and build kernel
        > - transfer kernel to slug (serial, or ethernet with latest APEX)
        > - confirm kernel is booting (down to panic while mounting root)
        > - grab busybox, configure with only a shell, and build
        > - build a file system (JFFS2, ext2, as you wish) with busybox
        > - transfer the file system to slug (again, via serial or ethernet)
        > - boot kernel with init=/bin/sh on the comand line
        > - confirm shell is working (type some commands)
        > - go on with more complex stuff, increasing complexity one step at a time.
        >
        > This is how I've gone to setup my toy-slug. Merely a proof a concept though.

        Once you've done that, you're ready to be part of the nslu2-linux
        firmware development team :-)

        -- Rod
      • vivekv
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007

          > vivekv wrote:
          > > Thanks for the info. would be be possible to run a poll on nslu2-
          > > linux.org to see who uses which firmware? That would be an
          > > interesting data to know
          >
          > The download statisic information (which is recorded automatically)
          > gives us a much better indication compared to an optional poll.
          >
          > Even though some people will be downloading twice, or trying out
          > multiple firmware before settling on one, it's the best indication that
          > we have, and will still be far more accurate than a poll.
          >
          > And really, you should be basing your choice on your own requirements,
          > not on some popularity figure :-)
          >
          > -- Rod

          Rod,
          Agreed - I am looking at Debian so I can put on a USB Hub and hang
          some interesting devices off of it. From what I am reading from
          various posts on the Wiki, I dont think that is a sure shot thing with
          the Unslung firmware.

          Regards
          Vivek
        • Yann E. MORIN
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
            Hello Rod and all!

            On Sunday 30 December 2007 22:57:29 Rod Whitby wrote:
            > Yann E. MORIN wrote:
            > > I'll add a sixth one: DIY (Do It Yourself).
            [--SNIP--]
            > Once you've done that,

            Already done (and not only on the slug!).
            Bah, this is part of my day-time job building-up linux-based devices.

            > you're ready to be part of the nslu2-linux firmware development team :-)

            Unfortunately, I haven't much time to take active part in such a project. I'm
            but a lurker in this group. Too many other project I'm already involved in.
            If I ever lower my involved time in another for any reason, then why not
            coming here... But until then...

            From what I've seen and used, you guys already have done a wonderfull job!