Re: Debian installer finally working again on NSLU2

  • Nelson Neves
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

      > * sevensins777 <nelson.s.neves@...> [2007-12-29 01:46]:
      > > -Unable to install the selected kernel
      > > An error was returned when trying to install the kernel into the
      > > target system.
      > > Kernel package: "linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx"
      > > Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.
      > >
      > > I have then selected to install the base system again and now it shows
      > >
      > > -Install the base system.
      > > The list shows the available kernels. Please choose one of them in
      > > order to make the system bootable from the hard drive.
      > > Kernel to install:
      > > - linux-image-ixp4xx
      > > - linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx
      >
      > linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx, but the question is why it still fails to
      > install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx for you. This should definitely work
      > now. Maybe you were using a mirror that's out of date. Did you check
      > /var/log/syslog to see what the error was installing
      > linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx?
      > --
      > Martin Michlmayr
      > http://www.cyrius.com/

      You where right! I`ve checked the /var/log/syslog and the mirror was
      missing some files! I`ve started all over and selected a new mirror:
      debian.uchicago.edu

      Now it runs almost to the end :(
      It stops with message:
      -An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item
      again from menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing
      step is:
      Configure flash memory to boot the system.

      I then retried the action from the menu but still the same error!

      (I had a problem on previous installation where my slug had a freeze
      and needed to remove power :( )

      Thank you for all your help! Can you just please advise what else to
      do? I have no ideas left ...
    • Nelson Neves
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
        <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
        > >
        > > * sevensins777 <nelson.s.neves@> [2007-12-29 01:46]:
        > > > -Unable to install the selected kernel
        > > > An error was returned when trying to install the kernel into the
        > > > target system.
        > > > Kernel package: "linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx"
        > > > Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.
        > > >
        > > > I have then selected to install the base system again and now it
        shows

        > > > -Install the base system.
        > > > The list shows the available kernels. Please choose one of them in
        > > > order to make the system bootable from the hard drive.
        > > > Kernel to install:
        > > > - linux-image-ixp4xx
        > > > - linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx
        > >
        > > linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx, but the question is why it still fails to
        > > install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx for you. This should definitely work
        > > now. Maybe you were using a mirror that's out of date. Did you check
        > > /var/log/syslog to see what the error was installing
        > > linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx?
        > > --
        > > Martin Michlmayr
        > > http://www.cyrius.com/
        > >

        > You where right! I`ve checked the /var/log/syslog and the mirror was
        > missing some files! I`ve started all over and selected a new mirror:
        > debian.uchicago.edu
        >
        > Now it runs almost to the end :(
        > It stops with message:
        > -An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item
        > again from menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing
        > step is:
        > Configure flash memory to boot the system.
        >
        > I then retried the action from the menu but still the same error!
        >
        > (I had a problem on previous installation where my slug had a freeze
        > and needed to remove power :( )
        >
        > Thank you for all your help! Can you just please advise what else to
        > do? I have no ideas left ...

        ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
        apt-install E:
        apt-install:
        apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
        flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed

        How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for all
        your help!
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
          * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@...> [2007-12-31 15:03]:
          > ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
          > apt-install E:
          > apt-install:
          > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
          > flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed
          >
          > How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for all
          > your help!

          The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely) there
          was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

            > * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@...> [2007-12-31 15:03]:
            > > ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
            > > apt-install E:
            > > apt-install:
            > > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
            > > flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed
            > >
            > > How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for all
            > > your help!
            >
            > The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely) there
            > was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
            > --
            > Martin Michlmayr
            > http://www.cyrius.com/

            Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
            Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!

            All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror. 1st
            mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
            getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!

            Keep up the good work! :)
          • Tom
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
              <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
              > >
              > > * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@> [2007-12-31 15:03]:
              > > > ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
              > > > apt-install E:
              > > > apt-install:
              > > > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
              > > > flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed
              > > >
              > > > How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for
              all
              > > > your help!
              > >
              > > The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely)
              there
              > > was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
              > > --
              > > Martin Michlmayr
              > > http://www.cyrius.com/
              > >

              > Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
              > Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!
              >
              > All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror.
              1st
              > mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
              > getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!
              >
              > Keep up the good work! :)

              Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
              I'm experiencing similar problems.
            • Nelson Neves
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@> [2007-12-31 15:03]:

                > all
                > > >
                > > > The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely)
                > there
                > > > was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
                > > > --
                > > > Martin Michlmayr
                > > > http://www.cyrius.com/
                > > >

                > > Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
                > > Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!
                > >
                > > All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror.
                > 1st
                > > mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
                > > getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!
                > >
                > > Keep up the good work! :)
                > >

                > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
                > I'm experiencing similar problems.

                Hi Tom,

                I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far away.

                Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                close to my country!

                Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
                after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!

                Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
              • Bob Cox
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                  In article <flgud7+pma1@...>,
                  Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                  [snip]

                  > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                  > close to my country!
                  >
                  > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
                  > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!

                  I'm reasonably sure that Portugal and the UK are both in the same time
                  zone (ie GMT = WET).

                  --
                  Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK. http://pippin.co.uk/
                  Local weather: http://bobcox.com/filton-weather/#latest
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
                    <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                    > > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:

                    > > all

                    > > there
                    > > > >

                    > > > Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
                    > > > Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!
                    > > >
                    > > > All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror.
                    > > 1st
                    > > > mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
                    > > > getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!
                    > > >
                    > > > Keep up the good work! :)
                    > > >

                    > > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
                    > > I'm experiencing similar problems.
                    > >

                    > Hi Tom,
                    >
                    > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                    > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far away.
                    >
                    > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                    > close to my country!
                    >
                    > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
                    > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
                    >
                    > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.

                    Hi again Tom,

                    forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
                    HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
                    where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before, didn't
                    realize that would make any difference to the installer.

                    Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for Portugal).
                    At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.

                    Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!
                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
                      <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                      > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"

                      > > > all

                      > > > there

                      > > > 1st

                      > > > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
                      > > > I'm experiencing similar problems.
                      > > >

                      > > Hi Tom,
                      > >
                      > > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                      > > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far
                      away.

                      > > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                      > > close to my country!
                      > >
                      > > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will
                      influence, but
                      > > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
                      > >
                      > > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
                      > >

                      > Hi again Tom,
                      >
                      > forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
                      > HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
                      > where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before,
                      didn't
                      > realize that would make any difference to the installer.
                      >
                      > Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for
                      Portugal).
                      > At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.
                      >
                      > Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!

                      Nelson,

                      No problem you forgot to mention because it did not really make a
                      difference :-)

                      I'm going to put the rest of my reply in the other thread or there
                      will be two places with the same problem. Please continue reading
                      there.
                    • Nelson Neves
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2008
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@...> wrote:

                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                        > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                        > > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:

                        > failed

                        > thanks for

                        > likely)
                        > installation.

                        > debian!

                        > mirror.
                        > was

                        > > > Hi Tom,
                        > > >
                        > > > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                        > > > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far
                        > away.
                        > > >
                        > > > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                        > > > close to my country!
                        > > >
                        > > > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will
                        > influence, but
                        > > > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
                        > > >
                        > > > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
                        > > >

                        > > Hi again Tom,
                        > >
                        > > forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
                        > > HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
                        > > where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before,
                        > didn't
                        > > realize that would make any difference to the installer.
                        > >
                        > > Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for
                        > Portugal).
                        > > At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.
                        > >
                        > > Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!
                        > >

                        > Nelson,
                        >
                        > No problem you forgot to mention because it did not really make a
                        > difference :-)
                        >
                        > I'm going to put the rest of my reply in the other thread or there
                        > will be two places with the same problem. Please continue reading
                        > there.

                        Hi again,

                        I recently had a problem with my hard drive and decided to install
                        debian-4.0r3 and started to have similar problems. I found that I was
                        having problems with DNS resolution, probably my DSL router not
                        working properly or either my ISP was having some problems.

                        Well, just fixed this by adding OpenDNS IP to /etc/resolv.conf !
                        (during install process just opened another ssh session and selected
                        bash ...).

                        Just thought that the information could be useful for someone!

                        Once again, thank you for all your help.