Debian installer finally working again on NSLU2

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
      The release release team of Debian released 4.0r2 today which fixes
      the bug that kept the installer from working on ARM based systems,
      such as the Linksys NSLU2. This means that installations are finally
      possible again. I've updated my installation instructions
      accordingly:
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 28, 2007

        just tested the new installer but still fails!

        I had unslung 6.8 Beta V23R63 with external 500GB USB external Western
        Digital HD. Just downloaded debian-4.0r2.zip from
        http://www.slug-firmware.net/d-dls.php and followed instructions from
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html.

        Upslug went fine, HD was formatted with 497GB ext3 bootable and 3GB
        swap. The installer runs to the end and then gives the following messages:

        -Unable to install the selected kernel
        An error was returned when trying to install the kernel into the
        target system.
        Kernel package: "linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx"
        Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.

        I have then selected to install the base system again and now it shows

        -Install the base system.
        The list shows the available kernels. Please choose one of them in
        order to make the system bootable from the hard drive.
        Kernel to install:
        - linux-image-ixp4xx
        - linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx
        - linux-image-2.6.18-4-ixp4xx
        - linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx
        - none

        I am kind of a rookie on this! Please advise witch kernel should I
        select. Thanks.

        ps: sorry for my English!
      • leonardo.lacchini
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
          Hi Martin,

          i installed debian 4.0r1 following your "unpack" istruction, i
          customized the system, installed new application, etc...
          i upgraded system & applications with apt-get upgrade / apt-get dist-
          upgrade but i NEVER upgraded the kernel because the fear to encounter
          problem with intel ethernet module and original debian kernel

          now i would like to upgrade it to 4.0r2 :)

          witch is the best way to done ?

          do i need to re-flash the firmware with the new file (sda1-
          2.6.18.dfsg.1-17) or it is enought to upgrade the kernel and the
          system ?

          to upgrade the kernel and the system, can i use apt-get dist-upgrade
          or i must do a manual method ?

          thanks for your aid, your work with nslu2 is amazing!!!

          best regards

          Leonardo

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > The release release team of Debian released 4.0r2 today which fixes
          > the bug that kept the installer from working on ARM based systems,
          > such as the Linksys NSLU2. This means that installations are
          finally
          > possible again. I've updated my installation instructions
          > accordingly:
          > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
          >
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

        • Martin Michlmayr
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
            * leonardo.lacchini <leonardo.lacchini@...> [2007-12-29 10:01]:
            > witch is the best way to done ?
            >
            > do i need to re-flash the firmware with the new file (sda1-
            > 2.6.18.dfsg.1-17) or it is enought to upgrade the kernel and the
            > system ?
            >
            > to upgrade the kernel and the system, can i use apt-get dist-upgrade
            > or i must do a manual method ?

            All you need to do is
            apt-get update
            apt-get dist-upgrade

            You don't need to reinstall or mnually flash another firmware image.
            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
              * sevensins777 <nelson.s.neves@...> [2007-12-29 01:46]:
              > -Unable to install the selected kernel
              > An error was returned when trying to install the kernel into the
              > target system.
              > Kernel package: "linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx"
              > Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.
              >
              > I have then selected to install the base system again and now it shows
              >
              > -Install the base system.
              > The list shows the available kernels. Please choose one of them in
              > order to make the system bootable from the hard drive.
              > Kernel to install:
              > - linux-image-ixp4xx
              > - linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx

              linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx, but the question is why it still fails to
              install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx for you. This should definitely work
              now. Maybe you were using a mirror that's out of date. Did you check
              /var/log/syslog to see what the error was installing
              linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx?
              --
              Martin Michlmayr
              http://www.cyrius.com/
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                > * sevensins777 <nelson.s.neves@...> [2007-12-29 01:46]:
                > > -Unable to install the selected kernel
                > > An error was returned when trying to install the kernel into the
                > > target system.
                > > Kernel package: "linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx"
                > > Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.
                > >
                > > I have then selected to install the base system again and now it shows
                > >
                > > -Install the base system.
                > > The list shows the available kernels. Please choose one of them in
                > > order to make the system bootable from the hard drive.
                > > Kernel to install:
                > > - linux-image-ixp4xx
                > > - linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx
                >
                > linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx, but the question is why it still fails to
                > install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx for you. This should definitely work
                > now. Maybe you were using a mirror that's out of date. Did you check
                > /var/log/syslog to see what the error was installing
                > linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx?
                > --
                > Martin Michlmayr
                > http://www.cyrius.com/

                You where right! I`ve checked the /var/log/syslog and the mirror was
                missing some files! I`ve started all over and selected a new mirror:
                debian.uchicago.edu

                Now it runs almost to the end :(
                It stops with message:
                -An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item
                again from menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing
                step is:
                Configure flash memory to boot the system.

                I then retried the action from the menu but still the same error!

                (I had a problem on previous installation where my slug had a freeze
                and needed to remove power :( )

                Thank you for all your help! Can you just please advise what else to
                do? I have no ideas left ...
              • Nelson Neves
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                  <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > * sevensins777 <nelson.s.neves@> [2007-12-29 01:46]:
                  > > > -Unable to install the selected kernel
                  > > > An error was returned when trying to install the kernel into the
                  > > > target system.
                  > > > Kernel package: "linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx"
                  > > > Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.
                  > > >
                  > > > I have then selected to install the base system again and now it
                  shows

                  > > > -Install the base system.
                  > > > The list shows the available kernels. Please choose one of them in
                  > > > order to make the system bootable from the hard drive.
                  > > > Kernel to install:
                  > > > - linux-image-ixp4xx
                  > > > - linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx
                  > >
                  > > linux-image-2.6.18-5-ixp4xx, but the question is why it still fails to
                  > > install linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx for you. This should definitely work
                  > > now. Maybe you were using a mirror that's out of date. Did you check
                  > > /var/log/syslog to see what the error was installing
                  > > linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx?
                  > > --
                  > > Martin Michlmayr
                  > > http://www.cyrius.com/
                  > >

                  > You where right! I`ve checked the /var/log/syslog and the mirror was
                  > missing some files! I`ve started all over and selected a new mirror:
                  > debian.uchicago.edu
                  >
                  > Now it runs almost to the end :(
                  > It stops with message:
                  > -An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item
                  > again from menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing
                  > step is:
                  > Configure flash memory to boot the system.
                  >
                  > I then retried the action from the menu but still the same error!
                  >
                  > (I had a problem on previous installation where my slug had a freeze
                  > and needed to remove power :( )
                  >
                  > Thank you for all your help! Can you just please advise what else to
                  > do? I have no ideas left ...

                  ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
                  apt-install E:
                  apt-install:
                  apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                  flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed

                  How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for all
                  your help!
                • Martin Michlmayr
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
                    * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@...> [2007-12-31 15:03]:
                    > ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
                    > apt-install E:
                    > apt-install:
                    > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                    > flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed
                    >
                    > How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for all
                    > your help!

                    The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely) there
                    was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
                    --
                    Martin Michlmayr
                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                      > * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@...> [2007-12-31 15:03]:
                      > > ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
                      > > apt-install E:
                      > > apt-install:
                      > > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                      > > flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed
                      > >
                      > > How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for all
                      > > your help!
                      >
                      > The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely) there
                      > was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
                      > --
                      > Martin Michlmayr
                      > http://www.cyrius.com/

                      Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
                      Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!

                      All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror. 1st
                      mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
                      getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!

                      Keep up the good work! :)
                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                        <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@> [2007-12-31 15:03]:
                        > > > ... consulting /var/log/syslog I get the following error:
                        > > > apt-install E:
                        > > > apt-install:
                        > > > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                        > > > flash-kernel-installer: error:apt- install flash-kernel failed
                        > > >
                        > > > How can I manually install flash-kernel? Once again, thanks for
                        all
                        > > > your help!
                        > >
                        > > The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely)
                        there
                        > > was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
                        > > --
                        > > Martin Michlmayr
                        > > http://www.cyrius.com/
                        > >

                        > Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
                        > Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!
                        >
                        > All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror.
                        1st
                        > mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
                        > getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!
                        >
                        > Keep up the good work! :)

                        Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
                        I'm experiencing similar problems.
                      • Nelson Neves
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@...> wrote:

                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                          > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > * Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@> [2007-12-31 15:03]:

                          > all
                          > > >
                          > > > The mirror you're using is either very broken or (more likely)
                          > there
                          > > > was a problem with your network. I'd try another installation.
                          > > > --
                          > > > Martin Michlmayr
                          > > > http://www.cyrius.com/
                          > > >

                          > > Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
                          > > Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!
                          > >
                          > > All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror.
                          > 1st
                          > > mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
                          > > getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!
                          > >
                          > > Keep up the good work! :)
                          > >

                          > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
                          > I'm experiencing similar problems.

                          Hi Tom,

                          I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                          success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far away.

                          Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                          close to my country!

                          Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
                          after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!

                          Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
                        • Bob Cox
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                            In article <flgud7+pma1@...>,
                            Nelson Neves <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                            [snip]

                            > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                            > close to my country!
                            >
                            > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
                            > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!

                            I'm reasonably sure that Portugal and the UK are both in the same time
                            zone (ie GMT = WET).

                            --
                            Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK. http://pippin.co.uk/
                            Local weather: http://bobcox.com/filton-weather/#latest
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
                              <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                              > > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:

                              > > all

                              > > there
                              > > > >

                              > > > Thank you Martin for all your help! My system is now running debian!
                              > > > Whooohoo!!!! The installer worked very well!
                              > > >
                              > > > All the problems that I had were related with the selected mirror.
                              > > 1st
                              > > > mirror was not updated, 2nd mirror was to far away and data was
                              > > > getting lost by some reason that I can not understand!!!
                              > > >
                              > > > Keep up the good work! :)
                              > > >

                              > > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
                              > > I'm experiencing similar problems.
                              > >

                              > Hi Tom,
                              >
                              > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                              > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far away.
                              >
                              > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                              > close to my country!
                              >
                              > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will influence, but
                              > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
                              >
                              > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.

                              Hi again Tom,

                              forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
                              HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
                              where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before, didn't
                              realize that would make any difference to the installer.

                              Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for Portugal).
                              At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.

                              Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!
                            • Tom
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
                                <nelson.s.neves@...> wrote:

                                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                                > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"

                                > > > all

                                > > > there

                                > > > 1st

                                > > > Could you please tell us what mirror you used?
                                > > > I'm experiencing similar problems.
                                > > >

                                > > Hi Tom,
                                > >
                                > > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                                > > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far
                                away.

                                > > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                                > > close to my country!
                                > >
                                > > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will
                                influence, but
                                > > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
                                > >
                                > > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
                                > >

                                > Hi again Tom,
                                >
                                > forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
                                > HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
                                > where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before,
                                didn't
                                > realize that would make any difference to the installer.
                                >
                                > Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for
                                Portugal).
                                > At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.
                                >
                                > Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!

                                Nelson,

                                No problem you forgot to mention because it did not really make a
                                difference :-)

                                I'm going to put the rest of my reply in the other thread or there
                                will be two places with the same problem. Please continue reading
                                there.
                              • Nelson Neves
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 20, 2008
                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom_demets@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                                  > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Neves"
                                  > > <nelson.s.neves@> wrote:

                                  > failed

                                  > thanks for

                                  > likely)
                                  > installation.

                                  > debian!

                                  > mirror.
                                  > was

                                  > > > Hi Tom,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I've selected debian.uchicago.edu and debian.osuosl.org with no
                                  > > > success!!! I'm from Portugal and probably this mirrors are to far
                                  > away.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Finally I've selected ftp.uk.debian.org and it worked fine! UK is
                                  > > > close to my country!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Also adjusted time zone for UK. Don't know if this will
                                  > influence, but
                                  > > > after 10 retries I was getting out of ideias!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Didn't really found out what was wrong :(.
                                  > > >

                                  > > Hi again Tom,
                                  > >
                                  > > forgot to mention that in my last installation I've cleaned my
                                  > > HardDrive before re-starting the install process. I saw your thread
                                  > > where you mention this fact! Sorry for not telling you before,
                                  > didn't
                                  > > realize that would make any difference to the installer.
                                  > >
                                  > > Also selected UK mirror and TimeZone for UK (same time for
                                  > Portugal).
                                  > > At the TimeZone selection my installer also took a while.
                                  > >
                                  > > Hope that you solve your problem quick. Good luck!
                                  > >

                                  > Nelson,
                                  >
                                  > No problem you forgot to mention because it did not really make a
                                  > difference :-)
                                  >
                                  > I'm going to put the rest of my reply in the other thread or there
                                  > will be two places with the same problem. Please continue reading
                                  > there.

                                  Hi again,

                                  I recently had a problem with my hard drive and decided to install
                                  debian-4.0r3 and started to have similar problems. I found that I was
                                  having problems with DNS resolution, probably my DSL router not
                                  working properly or either my ISP was having some problems.

                                  Well, just fixed this by adding OpenDNS IP to /etc/resolv.conf !
                                  (during install process just opened another ssh session and selected
                                  bash ...).

                                  Just thought that the information could be useful for someone!

                                  Once again, thank you for all your help.