help with nslu2

  • spinny35
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 22, 2007
      Hey guys, i just bought a nslu2 and i need some advice. This seems to
      be the only place that is forum like to ask questions (if not could
      someone point me in the right direction?)

      This is what i want to do with my slug

      -give me extra usb ports (hub?)
      -hook up to my wireless router
      -hook up 2 hard drives to the slug (is i possible to not reformat?)
      -hook up my printer to the slug
      -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
      time (slow internet access)

      can anyone help me out,

      thanks

      ohh and merry xmas
    • Shane Kerr
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 23, 2007
        Hello,

        On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 08:23:52PM -0000, spinny35 wrote:
        > Hey guys, i just bought a nslu2 and i need some advice. This seems
        > to be the only place that is forum like to ask questions (if not
        > could someone point me in the right direction?)
        >
        > This is what i want to do with my slug
        >
        > -give me extra usb ports (hub?)
        > -hook up to my wireless router
        > -hook up 2 hard drives to the slug (is i possible to not reformat?)
        > -hook up my printer to the slug
        > -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
        > time (slow internet access)
        >
        > can anyone help me out,

        This is almost exactly what I have done with my NSLU2. :)

        I installed Debian - at the time the installer was broken so I used a
        pre-existing image, but apparently you can use the normal instaler
        now:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage

        Since Debian treats the drives as normal drives, you need to create a
        partition for it - although this does not necessarily have to be big.
        You can use parted (or better, gparted) to resize the old partitions
        so you can keep them:

        http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

        I recommend getting a powered USB hub. I had some problems with a
        device on an unpowered hub - it seems the USB port on the NSLU2 did
        not have enough power.

        Installing a printer is relatively easy then. You can install cups and
        get the appropriate driver file, then you can print from the NSLU2 or
        from other computers on your network. If you want to print from a
        Windows you will need to install Samba and configure that. (But you
        probably want Samba to export the drives anyway.)

        I use rtorrent to download. It's a console (non-GUI) torrent program,
        but it is pretty full-featured. The only thing I miss from it is IPv6
        support. :) I use the "screen" application to start a session that you
        can detach from, then keep rtorrent running in this:

        http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_screen

        Good luck!

        --
        Shane
      • Brian Keck
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2007
          [[3rd try with yahoo groups, sorry if it turns up 3 times]]

          On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:23:52 -0000, "spinny35" wrote:
          >This is what i want to do with my slug
          >-hook up 2 hard drives to the slug (is i possible to not reformat?)

          I've avoided reformatting - after installing debianslug in the internal
          flash, I just copied (roughly speaking) the flash root directory to a
          directory on an existing ext3 partition on a hard disc. This seems not
          to be supported by the scripts that come with debianslug, but with their
          help I managed to write my own scripts. It's working nicely. I don't
          know how much work you want to do, but I'll send my scripts if you like.

          If any experts are listening, I'd like to know if I've reinvented a
          wheel, or if it's worth a wiki entry.

          Brian Keck
        • spinny35
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "spinny35" <spinny35@...> wrote:

            > Hey guys, i just bought a nslu2 and i need some advice. This seems to
            > be the only place that is forum like to ask questions (if not could
            > someone point me in the right direction?)
            >
            > This is what i want to do with my slug
            >
            > -give me extra usb ports (hub?)
            > -hook up to my wireless router
            > -hook up 2 hard drives to the slug (is i possible to not reformat?)
            > -hook up my printer to the slug
            > -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
            > time (slow internet access)
            >
            > can anyone help me out,
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > ohh and merry xmas

            Hey guys thanks for the replies!

            Ok i need some hand holding... just a little afraid of messing things up.

            i was following the install guide at

            http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

            and it say the following before i start to do this.

            configure your network settings (IP address, DNS, hostname) using the
            web interface before flashing the debian-installer image in case you
            do not want to use DHCP

            How exactly is this done, so i do not mess it up.

            also i would like to run debian off a flash stick (1 gig) and on the
            same above site it says the following...

            If you have a USB stick with only 1 GB the current version of the
            installer will by default create a swap partition that is too small
            and your system will run out of memory during the installation and
            fail (the symptom of this is that your SSH connection will be closed).
            On such systems, you therefore have to manually partition your hard
            drive instead of using the guided partition option. Make sure that you
            have at least a swap partition with at least 256 MB.

            How is the best way to format this?

            sorry i am new to linux, but i am learning as fast as i can.

            any other advice and tips for a successful install, please let me know.

            thanks

            just trying to be safe
          • Gordon Farquharson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008
              On Jan 3, 2008 7:17 PM, spinny35 <spinny35@...> wrote:

              > configure your network settings (IP address, DNS, hostname) using the
              > web interface before flashing the debian-installer image in case you
              > do not want to use DHCP
              >
              > How exactly is this done, so i do not mess it up.

              While running the Linksys firmware on the NSLU2, enter the IP address
              of your NSLU2 (by default it is 192.168.1.77) into the location bar of
              your web browser. Go to the configuration settings (I can't remember
              how to navigate there) and change the IP address, DNS, and hostname.
              The computer on which you are using your web browser must be on the
              same subnet as the NSLU2 (in the default case, 192.168.1.0).

              > If you have a USB stick with only 1 GB the current version of the
              > installer will by default create a swap partition that is too small
              > and your system will run out of memory during the installation and
              > fail (the symptom of this is that your SSH connection will be closed).
              > On such systems, you therefore have to manually partition your hard
              > drive instead of using the guided partition option. Make sure that you
              > have at least a swap partition with at least 256 MB.
              >
              > How is the best way to format this?

              Select the manual partitioning option in the Debian installer partitioner [1].

              Gordon

              [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/arm/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition

              --
              Gordon Farquharson
              GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                Hi all.

                > -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
                > time (slow internet access)

                Here i'm going to try to use torrentflux ( http://www.torrentflux.com/).

                I already use it on my home-server; it has a web gui, a search tool... good project.
                It requires mysql+python+apache+php.
                Sincerely i don't know if NSLU2 is able to run all that ....

                I'll post results.
                Bye!

              • pizzulicchio1981
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mirco Piccin" <pictux@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all.
                  >
                  > > -run a torrent program, so i do not have my computer going all the
                  > > time (slow internet access)
                  >
                  > Here i'm going to try to use torrentflux
                  (http://www.torrentflux.com/).

                  > I already use it on my home-server; it has a web gui, a search
                  tool... good
                  > project.
                  > It requires mysql+python+apache+php.
                  > Sincerely i don't know if NSLU2 is able to run all that ....
                  >
                  > I'll post results.
                  > Bye!

                  I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and
                  python. Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...

                  Here you can find a great tutorial to make it work. (read alle the
                  page of the guide )
                  http://www.torrentflux.com/forum/index.php?topic=697.msg6285
                • Mirco Piccin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                    Hi!

                    > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and python.

                    Perfect!
                    I have not already search anything about my idea on torrentflux/nslu2 forum, so thanks!

                    > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...

                    i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
                    Have you done that?

                    Regards!

                  • pizzulicchio1981
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mirco Piccin" <pictux@...> wrote:

                      > Hi!
                      >
                      > > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and
                      python.

                      > Perfect!
                      > I have not already search anything about my idea on
                      torrentflux/nslu2 forum,
                      > so thanks!
                      >
                      > > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...
                      >
                      > i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
                      > Have you done that?
                      >
                      > Regards!

                      Hi!

                      I have found it using for a first period apache and mysql but the
                      browsing of the web interface isn't usable.... about 30 second to
                      switch from a page to another page... retuning all using lighttpd and
                      sql lite, the browsing time is about 10 second.

                      Do not use amule and torrent at same time! ;-)
                    • Paul Coolwind
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                        I use enhanced-ctorrent with with ctcs web interface on a linksys. even if the ctcs is light, and there is no http server running (i disable everything else, including samba and upnp to get more memory), it's a heavy job. Can't believe you put torrentflux and make it usable on a linksys..
                        How many torrents can you keep open?  (me: 3-4 no problems, 5-8 becomes heavy, 9 the ctcs can't work).

                        paul
                        > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and python.

                        Perfect!
                        I have not already search anything about my idea on torrentflux/nslu2 forum, so thanks!

                        > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...

                        i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
                        Have you done that?

                        Regards!

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      • Nelson Neves
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 10, 2008
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pizzulicchio1981"
                          <pizzulicchio@...> wrote:

                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mirco Piccin" <pictux@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi!
                          > >
                          > > > I suggest to you to use torrentflux using lighttpd, SQL lite and
                          > python.
                          > >
                          > > Perfect!
                          > > I have not already search anything about my idea on
                          > torrentflux/nslu2 forum,
                          > > so thanks!
                          > >
                          > > > Apache and mysql make the NSLU2 unausable...
                          > >
                          > > i presumed that, reading some posts about httpd in NSLU2.
                          > > Have you done that?
                          > >
                          > > Regards!
                          > >

                          > Hi!
                          >
                          > I have found it using for a first period apache and mysql but the
                          > browsing of the web interface isn't usable.... about 30 second to
                          > switch from a page to another page... retuning all using lighttpd and
                          > sql lite, the browsing time is about 10 second.
                          >
                          > Do not use amule and torrent at same time! ;-)

                          Just installed lighttpd and still need sql lite! It looks better than
                          I was expecting. Running phpinfo(); will only take between 3 to 5s!

                          You can follow the links on my blog to setup lighttpd+php5. (My Other
                          Projects -> NSLU2 | Debian R4.0R2 section)

                          http://www.botdream.com/blog/linksys-nslu2-network-storage-link-for-usb-20-disk-drives/

                          Will try to update this page with my successful tools!