Email config

  • Calum Sharp
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2007
      Hi, I want to use my Slug as an email server.

      Currently I have 2 pop email accounts, one of which receives the
      redirected mails from a domain I have registered. The other is the
      account I have with my ISP.

      I have a windows desktop PC, which me partner and I both use - both
      our emails go to my domain, and I filter hers from my by the to:
      address in Firefox.

      I have recently picked up a cheap second hand laptop which I have
      running Xubuntu. I want to collect the emails from the pop accounts on
      the Slug, and sort them into local mailboxes. Specifically I want to
      do this so we can access them from either the Windows box or the
      Xubuntu Laptop. I believe I want to setup an Imap server on the Slug
      to do this (so the emails are persistently avialable to either machine).

      Am I on the right path? If so, can anyone recommend what/how I go
      about doing this on the Slug - Unslung 6.8?

      I've read this;
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer
      and
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer2

      However, I don't really understand them, and the installation
      instructions are somewhat ragged.

      Has anyone got any recommendations.

      Cal
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2007
        Calum Sharp wrote:

        > Hi, I want to use my Slug as an email server.
        >
        > Currently I have 2 pop email accounts, one of which receives the
        > redirected mails from a domain I have registered. The other is the
        > account I have with my ISP.
        >
        > I have a windows desktop PC, which me partner and I both use - both
        > our emails go to my domain, and I filter hers from my by the to:
        > address in Firefox.
        >
        > I have recently picked up a cheap second hand laptop which I have
        > running Xubuntu. I want to collect the emails from the pop accounts on
        > the Slug, and sort them into local mailboxes. Specifically I want to
        > do this so we can access them from either the Windows box or the
        > Xubuntu Laptop. I believe I want to setup an Imap server on the Slug
        > to do this (so the emails are persistently avialable to either machine).
        >
        > Am I on the right path? If so, can anyone recommend what/how I go
        > about doing this on the Slug - Unslung 6.8?
        >
        > I've read this;
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer
        > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer>
        > and
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer2
        > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer2>
        >
        > However, I don't really understand them, and the installation
        > instructions are somewhat ragged.
        >
        > Has anyone got any recommendations.

        You're on the right track, the best solution if oyu want to access mail
        from multiple machines is IMAP.

        The slug can do that, as long as you don't push it too hard. I ran a
        slug as a mail server built mostly according to the links you mentioned,
        it ran fine for a year, and was replaced only because I needed a more
        powerful machine to handle the load.

        I would suggest, however, that if you want to run a mail server, you
        really need to understand what the instructions are telling you. You
        might want to read up on MTAs in general.

        Also, if your account with your ISP is a residential account you may be
        violating the terms of service by running a server of any sort. Many
        ISPs do not permit port 25 traffic for residential accounts, you may
        want to check into that.

        beww
      • John Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2007
          Calum Sharp wrote:
          > Hi, I want to use my Slug as an email server.
          >
          > Currently I have 2 pop email accounts, one of which receives the
          > redirected mails from a domain I have registered. The other is the
          > account I have with my ISP.
          >
          > I have a windows desktop PC, which me partner and I both use - both
          > our emails go to my domain, and I filter hers from my by the to:
          > address in Firefox.
          >
          > I have recently picked up a cheap second hand laptop which I have
          > running Xubuntu. I want to collect the emails from the pop accounts on
          > the Slug, and sort them into local mailboxes. Specifically I want to
          > do this so we can access them from either the Windows box or the
          > Xubuntu Laptop. I believe I want to setup an Imap server on the Slug
          > to do this (so the emails are persistently avialable to either machine).
          >
          > Am I on the right path? If so, can anyone recommend what/how I go
          > about doing this on the Slug - Unslung 6.8?
          >
          > I've read this;
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer
          > and
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer2
          >
          > However, I don't really understand them, and the installation
          > instructions are somewhat ragged.

          Well, if it's any help, I have got my Unslung slug running as a mail
          server - basically by following the two HOWTO's you mentioned. It's
          been running for about 9 months now - no problems!

          I installed Postfix, then Cyrus. I also installed an NTP client. I
          still love the fact that I can access my email from anywhere in the
          world - from my little Slug, sitting on the shelf at home!

          You will, of course, need a fixed IP address and your own domain. Your
          ISP should be able to help you with this. Setting up the name server to
          point your mailsever to your IP address took some effort. Your ISP will
          have an online form where you can configure this but in my case it was
          not straight forward.

          Setting up the mail server was not easy at first and I almost gave up.
          In fact I even went as far as buying some books on Postfix, Cyrus and
          Linux generally and reading up. Got there in the end! I think the main
          problem about those HOWTO's is that they are written by an expert and
          assume a level of Linux fluency that I didn't have. But in fact, if you
          do the ipkg install they come almost ready to go.

          Installing Cyrus means you will access your email using IMAP which is
          much better than POP, especially if you use many different computers as
          your mail folders remain on the server and there is no need to
          "download" your mail. Having multiple users accounts is not really
          difficult, once you learn how to create users. I think the hardest part
          was the Cyrus administration using the cyradm client. The HOWTO does it
          but I had to buy the book and spend a wet weekend to finally suss it
          out. Important: keep notes of what you did - 'cause you won't remember!

          Don't give up!

          John
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2007
            On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 22:33 +0000, John Thompson wrote:

            > Installing Cyrus means you will access your email using IMAP which is
            > much better than POP.

            > I think the hardest part was the Cyrus administration using the cyradm
            > client.
            >
            > Don't give up!

            I gave up and installed "dovecot" instead.

            It doesn't have all the features cyrus has. But you have imap
            running within an hour without reading lots of howto's.

            --
            marceln
          • Bogdan Banica
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008

              Hi there Marcel

              Could you please provide some instructions on the steps you took to configure dovecot and get it working?

              Also, how to test it afterwards would help too!

              Cheers

              Bog