Re: [nslu2-linux] Trouble with installing Debian on NSLU2...

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
      * Richard Morey <moreyr@...> [2007-12-08 15:54]:
      > I have exactly the same problem. I never found a fix; I figured I'd
      > wait for the next Debian update which is supposed to fix the
      > installer, but it seems to be taking a while...:(

      There's a workaround you can use.

      You can use the current installer if you take one thing into account:
      simply start the installer and perform an installation. During base
      install, the installer with fail to install the kernel. When this
      happens, choose base install again and this time it will give you the
      option to choose a kernel... choose the 2.6.18-5-ixp4xx kernel and the
      installation will work.

      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

        > You can use the current installer if you take one thing into account:
        > simply start the installer and perform an installation. During base
        > install, the installer with fail to install the kernel. When this
        > happens, choose base install again and this time it will give you the
        > option to choose a kernel... choose the 2.6.18-5-ixp4xx kernel and the
        > installation will work.

        I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
        release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
        seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
        problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
        I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
        created. Not sure if this was my fault or not. When the install fails
        it will eventually lead you to the main menu with many option on it.
        My screen was corrupted as I was using the wrong character set (use
        UTF8!!) and maybe I missed an obvious marker that this had not been
        done but don't think so.

        Anyway, if it fails you can always restart the install so go for it!

        PS I had to use the sercomm utility as the other (easier) options
        wouldn't work to get the installer on the slug. I was upgrading from
        Unslung 6.8
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
          * cmelikian <chris.melikian@...> [2007-12-09 14:21]:
          > I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
          > release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
          > seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
          > problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
          > I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
          > created.

          Interesting, I know that at least one other person had this problem.
          I wonder whether this happens when base install fails and you restart
          it. I'm not near my slug at the moment (and neither for the next 2
          weeks) but maybe someone could verify this.
          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
            Hmmm... I'm still having a problem.

            When I flash di-nslu2.bin (using the Windows utility) it upgrades
            fine, but when the NSLU2 reboots it shows me the solid orange light
            again. This is with no disks connected...

            Like I mentioned in the original post, I can upgrade my NSLU2 to
            Unslung 6.8 just fine and I've done hwclock -systohc, and
            removed/replaced the internal battery.

            What should the lights normally be when it's waiting for me to SSH in
            to complete the install?

            What else can I do?! =(

            On Dec 9, 2007 10:51 AM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

            > * cmelikian <chris.melikian@...> [2007-12-09 14:21]:
            >
            > > I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
            > > release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
            > > seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
            > > problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
            > > I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
            > > created.
            >
            > Interesting, I know that at least one other person had this problem.
            > I wonder whether this happens when base install fails and you restart
            > it. I'm not near my slug at the moment (and neither for the next 2
            > weeks) but maybe someone could verify this.
            >
            > --
            > Martin Michlmayr
            > http://www.cyrius.com/

          • Martin Michlmayr
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
              * John Klimek <jklimek@...> [2007-12-09 13:39]:
              > When I flash di-nslu2.bin (using the Windows utility) it upgrades
              > fine, but when the NSLU2 reboots it shows me the solid orange light
              > again. This is with no disks connected...
              >
              > Like I mentioned in the original post, I can upgrade my NSLU2 to
              > Unslung 6.8 just fine and I've done hwclock -systohc, and
              > removed/replaced the internal battery.
              >
              > What should the lights normally be when it's waiting for me to SSH in
              > to complete the install?

              > What else can I do?! =(

              I don't know what the lights should be (it's just whatever they show
              by default; Debian give any useful information via the lights). In
              any case, I'd check your network settings from within unslung. Is it
              DHCP or a static IP? If it's static, are you sure you configured
              everything (DNS, gateway, etc).
              --
              Martin Michlmayr
              http://www.cyrius.com/
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                I did the same thing last night and had the same problem. I'm going to
                reflash it today or tomorrow with unslung to see if my network settings
                are cool.

                John Klimek wrote:

                > Hmmm... I'm still having a problem.
                >
                > When I flash di-nslu2.bin (using the Windows utility) it upgrades
                > fine, but when the NSLU2 reboots it shows me the solid orange light
                > again. This is with no disks connected...
                >
                > Like I mentioned in the original post, I can upgrade my NSLU2 to
                > Unslung 6.8 just fine and I've done hwclock -systohc, and
                > removed/replaced the internal battery.
                >
                > What should the lights normally be when it's waiting for me to SSH in
                > to complete the install?
                >
                > What else can I do?! =(
                >
                > On Dec 9, 2007 10:51 AM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...
                > <mailto:tbm%40cyrius.com>> wrote:
                > >

                > > * cmelikian <chris.melikian@...
                > <mailto:chris.melikian%40gmail.com>> [2007-12-09 14:21]:
                > >
                > > > I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
                > > > release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
                > > > seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
                > > > problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
                > > > I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
                > > > created.
                > >
                > > Interesting, I know that at least one other person had this problem.
                > > I wonder whether this happens when base install fails and you restart
                > > it. I'm not near my slug at the moment (and neither for the next 2
                > > weeks) but maybe someone could verify this.
                > >
                > > --
                > > Martin Michlmayr
                > > http://www.cyrius.com/ <http://www.cyrius.com/>

              • John Klimek
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                  I've just installed Unslung 6.8 and verified I have a static IP
                  address with a correct netmask and gateway.

                  After I upload the Debian firmware I get the orange light and I cannot
                  connect to that IP address (via SSH and telnet).

                  Any other thoughts?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                    * John Klimek <jklimek@...> [2007-12-09 15:19]:
                    > I've just installed Unslung 6.8 and verified I have a static IP
                    > address with a correct netmask and gateway.
                    >
                    > After I upload the Debian firmware I get the orange light and I cannot
                    > connect to that IP address (via SSH and telnet).
                    >
                    > Any other thoughts?

                    What static IP address did you use? If you used 192.168.1.77 (the
                    default used by the firmware) Debian will use DHCP rather than this IP
                    address.

                    Have you verified that DNS servers are set? Hostname?
                    --
                    Martin Michlmayr
                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                      I think I got it!

                      I didn't specifyc a DNS server. I didn't think the entire thing
                      wouldn't boot because of it, but after re-reading your message I
                      re-installed Unslung (again), specified the DNS server, and then
                      re-installed the Debian image. It turned on and beeped three times
                      (something new!) I was then able to SSH into it and everything!

                      Thanks for all of the help everybody!

                      On Dec 9, 2007 3:43 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                      > * John Klimek <jklimek@...> [2007-12-09 15:19]:
                      >
                      > > I've just installed Unslung 6.8 and verified I have a static IP
                      > > address with a correct netmask and gateway.
                      > >
                      > > After I upload the Debian firmware I get the orange light and I cannot
                      > > connect to that IP address (via SSH and telnet).
                      > >
                      > > Any other thoughts?
                      >
                      > What static IP address did you use? If you used 192.168.1.77 (the
                      > default used by the firmware) Debian will use DHCP rather than this IP
                      > address.
                      >
                      > Have you verified that DNS servers are set? Hostname?
                      > --
                      >
                      > Martin Michlmayr
                      > http://www.cyrius.com/

                    • Richard Morey
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                        I am trying to install debian on the NSLU2, and thanks to the help from
                        this mailing list I've managed to connect to the debian installer and
                        start the install process. However, I'm hitting some snags in partition
                        creation.

                        I'm using a Maxtor 60GB HD in a Coolmax360 enclosure. The drive mounts
                        up fine in Ubuntu Gutsy, with no errors (I've tried repartitioning and
                        fsck).

                        In the debian installer, after "calculating partitions" I get the error:
                        Input/output error during read on
                        /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

                        I'm wondering if it is the enclosure, after googling:
                        http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/97245-cant-mount-coolmax-hd-360-enclosure.html

                        Is there a workaround for this? Will the next version of debian solve
                        it? Do I need to just get new enclosures?

                        I've attached three files - the nslu2's syslog, the partman log, and the
                        syslog excerpt from when I plug it in in ubuntu.

                        The NSLU2's /var/log/syslog is full of lines like:
                        Apr 12 03:42:58 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x10070000
                        Apr 12 03:42:58 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 4

                        Below is an excerpt of /var/log/partman, showing the error:
                        *********************
                        parted_server: Closing infifo and outfifo
                        parted_server: main_loop: iteration 104
                        parted_server: Opening infifo
                        /bin/partman: IN: PARTITIONS =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                        parted_server: Read command: PARTITIONS
                        parted_server: command_partitions()
                        parted_server: Opening outfifo
                        parted_server: OUT: OK

                        parted_server: OUT: 1 32256-6999713279 6999681024 primary
                        ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

                        parted_server: OUT: 5 6999745536-7098416639 98671104 logical
                        linux-swap /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5

                        parted_server: OUT: 6 7098448896-59995192319 52896743424 logical
                        ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6

                        parted_server: Partitions printed
                        parted_server: OUT:

                        **********cut*************

                        parted_server: Closing infifo and outfifo
                        parted_server: main_loop: iteration 111
                        parted_server: Opening infifo
                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: IN: COMMIT
                        =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                        parted_server: Read command: COMMIT
                        parted_server: command_commit()
                        parted_server: Opening outfifo
                        parted_server: OUT: Error

                        parted_server: OUT: Input/output error during read on
                        /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

                        parted_server: OUT:

                        parted_server: OUT: Retry

                        parted_server: OUT: Ignore

                        parted_server: OUT: Cancel

                        parted_server: OUT:

                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: error_handler: exception with type Error
                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: error_handler: reading message
                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: paragraph: Input/output error during
                        read on /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: error_handler: reading options
                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: option: Retry
                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: option: Ignore
                        /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: option: Cancel
                        /bin/partman: *******************************************************
                        /lib/partman/init.d/30parted:
                        /lib/partman/init.d/35dump:
                        /lib/partman/init.d/35dump: IN: DUMP =dev=mtdblock0
                        parted_server: exception_handler: Bad option: "DUMP =dev=mtdblock0"
                        parted_server: Line 301. CRITICAL ERROR!!! EXITING.
                        /bin/partman: *******************************************************
                        /lib/partman/init.d/30parted:
                        parted_server: ======= Starting the server
                        parted_server: main_loop: iteration 1
                        parted_server: Opening infifo
                        /lib/partman/init.d/30parted: IN: OPEN
                        =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                        /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
                        parted_server: Read command: OPEN
                        parted_server: command_open()
                        parted_server: Request to open =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                          * Richard Morey <moreyr@...> [2007-12-10 11:37]:
                          > In the debian installer, after "calculating partitions" I get the error:
                          > Input/output error during read on
                          > /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
                          >
                          > I'm wondering if it is the enclosure, after googling:
                          > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/97245-cant-mount-coolmax-hd-360-enclosure.html
                          >
                          > Is there a workaround for this? Will the next version of debian solve
                          > it? Do I need to just get new enclosures?

                          I guess you're referring to the patch at
                          http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=f1cd4ad202ce34d29c847fd82df948ff67c17826
                          If so, we could probably put that in our stable kernel.
                          --
                          Martin Michlmayr
                          http://www.cyrius.com/
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                            If it is the problem, this must be why I can't install debian the manual way, either.
                            It just can't mount up the drive because of the enclosure.

                            I don't deal much with kernel patches. How does one apply the patch to the firmware binary?

                            Thanks,
                            Richard

                            --
                            Richard Morey
                            Graduate Research Assistant

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                              * Morey, Richard D (UMC-Student) <moreyr@...> [2007-12-10 22:26]:
                              > If it is the problem, this must be why I can't install debian the
                              > manual way, either.

                              Yeah, if the problem is what you described, this would certainly be
                              the case.

                              > I don't deal much with kernel patches. How does one apply the patch to the firmware binary?

                              You'd have to recompile our 2.6.18 kernel with the patch, and then
                              generate new images based on the kernel. But then you'd still have a
                              problem because the installer would install the kernel from the
                              archive and that won't work.

                              I just mailed our person in charge for stable kernel updates to see if
                              he can include the patch in the next revision. It's probably best to
                              wait for that.
                              --
                              Martin Michlmayr
                              http://www.cyrius.com/