Re: [nslu2-linux] Trouble with installing Debian on NSLU2...

  • Richard Morey
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
      I have exactly the same problem. I never found a fix; I figured I'd wait
      for the next Debian update which is supposed to fix the installer, but
      it seems to be taking a while...:(

      Richard

      John Klimek wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply...
      >
      > I've tried those solutions but they don't work.
      >
      > I've re-installed (using sercomm/upslug2 for Windows) Unslug v6.8 and
      > it installed fine. I telnetted into it and the hardware clock
      > appeared to be correct (using hwclock) and I also ran hwclock -systohc
      > just to be safe.
      >
      > I then re-flashed the Debian image and I still have the same orange light.
      >
      > I also removed the battery inside the NSLU2 for 5 hours and then tried
      > to boot it again but it's still the same problem...
      >
      > On Dec 5, 2007 7:57 AM, Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...
      > <mailto:gordonfarquharson%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi John
      > >

      > > On Dec 4, 2007 9:11 PM, John Klimek <jklimek@...
      > <mailto:jklimek%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > >
      > > > The problem is that when my NSLU2 starts up all of the lights flash
      > > > green for a second or two (first bootting step?), then the status
      > > > light turns solid orange and the ethernet light is green. Both disk
      > > > lights aren't lit.
      > > >
      > > > I've partitioned my 1.0 GB flash drive on another Linux machine to
      > > > have exactly the same partitions in the above instructions. I'm also
      > > > plugging the flash drive into USB port #1 which should map to /dev/sda
      > > > which is what my /etc/fstab is configured with.
      > > >
      > > > I've tried setting FSCKFIX to Yes as well as BOOTLOGD to Yes but
      > > > neither helps and no logs are being created inside /var/log.
      > > >
      > > > I've also waited 30 minutes (to check for hardware clock problems) but
      > > > the light just stays orange.
      > >
      > > Your problem sounds like the problem referenced in these threads:
      > >

      > http://www.nabble.com/No-network-after-successful-Debian-install-t4738119.html
      > <http://www.nabble.com/No-network-after-successful-Debian-install-t4738119.html>
      > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2007/11/msg00031.html
      > <http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2007/11/msg00031.html>
      > >
      > > Gordon
      > >
      > > --
      > > Gordon Farquharson
      > > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
        * Richard Morey <moreyr@...> [2007-12-08 15:54]:
        > I have exactly the same problem. I never found a fix; I figured I'd
        > wait for the next Debian update which is supposed to fix the
        > installer, but it seems to be taking a while...:(

        There's a workaround you can use.

        You can use the current installer if you take one thing into account:
        simply start the installer and perform an installation. During base
        install, the installer with fail to install the kernel. When this
        happens, choose base install again and this time it will give you the
        option to choose a kernel... choose the 2.6.18-5-ixp4xx kernel and the
        installation will work.

        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > You can use the current installer if you take one thing into account:
          > simply start the installer and perform an installation. During base
          > install, the installer with fail to install the kernel. When this
          > happens, choose base install again and this time it will give you the
          > option to choose a kernel... choose the 2.6.18-5-ixp4xx kernel and the
          > installation will work.

          I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
          release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
          seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
          problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
          I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
          created. Not sure if this was my fault or not. When the install fails
          it will eventually lead you to the main menu with many option on it.
          My screen was corrupted as I was using the wrong character set (use
          UTF8!!) and maybe I missed an obvious marker that this had not been
          done but don't think so.

          Anyway, if it fails you can always restart the install so go for it!

          PS I had to use the sercomm utility as the other (easier) options
          wouldn't work to get the installer on the slug. I was upgrading from
          Unslung 6.8
        • Martin Michlmayr
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
            * cmelikian <chris.melikian@...> [2007-12-09 14:21]:
            > I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
            > release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
            > seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
            > problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
            > I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
            > created.

            Interesting, I know that at least one other person had this problem.
            I wonder whether this happens when base install fails and you restart
            it. I'm not near my slug at the moment (and neither for the next 2
            weeks) but maybe someone could verify this.
            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
              Hmmm... I'm still having a problem.

              When I flash di-nslu2.bin (using the Windows utility) it upgrades
              fine, but when the NSLU2 reboots it shows me the solid orange light
              again. This is with no disks connected...

              Like I mentioned in the original post, I can upgrade my NSLU2 to
              Unslung 6.8 just fine and I've done hwclock -systohc, and
              removed/replaced the internal battery.

              What should the lights normally be when it's waiting for me to SSH in
              to complete the install?

              What else can I do?! =(

              On Dec 9, 2007 10:51 AM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

              > * cmelikian <chris.melikian@...> [2007-12-09 14:21]:
              >
              > > I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
              > > release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
              > > seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
              > > problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
              > > I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
              > > created.
              >
              > Interesting, I know that at least one other person had this problem.
              > I wonder whether this happens when base install fails and you restart
              > it. I'm not near my slug at the moment (and neither for the next 2
              > weeks) but maybe someone could verify this.
              >
              > --
              > Martin Michlmayr
              > http://www.cyrius.com/

            • Martin Michlmayr
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                * John Klimek <jklimek@...> [2007-12-09 13:39]:
                > When I flash di-nslu2.bin (using the Windows utility) it upgrades
                > fine, but when the NSLU2 reboots it shows me the solid orange light
                > again. This is with no disks connected...
                >
                > Like I mentioned in the original post, I can upgrade my NSLU2 to
                > Unslung 6.8 just fine and I've done hwclock -systohc, and
                > removed/replaced the internal battery.
                >
                > What should the lights normally be when it's waiting for me to SSH in
                > to complete the install?

                > What else can I do?! =(

                I don't know what the lights should be (it's just whatever they show
                by default; Debian give any useful information via the lights). In
                any case, I'd check your network settings from within unslung. Is it
                DHCP or a static IP? If it's static, are you sure you configured
                everything (DNS, gateway, etc).
                --
                Martin Michlmayr
                http://www.cyrius.com/
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                  I did the same thing last night and had the same problem. I'm going to
                  reflash it today or tomorrow with unslung to see if my network settings
                  are cool.

                  John Klimek wrote:

                  > Hmmm... I'm still having a problem.
                  >
                  > When I flash di-nslu2.bin (using the Windows utility) it upgrades
                  > fine, but when the NSLU2 reboots it shows me the solid orange light
                  > again. This is with no disks connected...
                  >
                  > Like I mentioned in the original post, I can upgrade my NSLU2 to
                  > Unslung 6.8 just fine and I've done hwclock -systohc, and
                  > removed/replaced the internal battery.
                  >
                  > What should the lights normally be when it's waiting for me to SSH in
                  > to complete the install?
                  >
                  > What else can I do?! =(
                  >
                  > On Dec 9, 2007 10:51 AM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...
                  > <mailto:tbm%40cyrius.com>> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > * cmelikian <chris.melikian@...
                  > <mailto:chris.melikian%40gmail.com>> [2007-12-09 14:21]:
                  > >
                  > > > I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
                  > > > release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
                  > > > seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
                  > > > problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
                  > > > I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
                  > > > created.
                  > >
                  > > Interesting, I know that at least one other person had this problem.
                  > > I wonder whether this happens when base install fails and you restart
                  > > it. I'm not near my slug at the moment (and neither for the next 2
                  > > weeks) but maybe someone could verify this.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Martin Michlmayr
                  > > http://www.cyrius.com/ <http://www.cyrius.com/>

                • John Klimek
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                    I've just installed Unslung 6.8 and verified I have a static IP
                    address with a correct netmask and gateway.

                    After I upload the Debian firmware I get the orange light and I cannot
                    connect to that IP address (via SSH and telnet).

                    Any other thoughts?

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                      * John Klimek <jklimek@...> [2007-12-09 15:19]:
                      > I've just installed Unslung 6.8 and verified I have a static IP
                      > address with a correct netmask and gateway.
                      >
                      > After I upload the Debian firmware I get the orange light and I cannot
                      > connect to that IP address (via SSH and telnet).
                      >
                      > Any other thoughts?

                      What static IP address did you use? If you used 192.168.1.77 (the
                      default used by the firmware) Debian will use DHCP rather than this IP
                      address.

                      Have you verified that DNS servers are set? Hostname?
                      --
                      Martin Michlmayr
                      http://www.cyrius.com/
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 9, 2007
                        I think I got it!

                        I didn't specifyc a DNS server. I didn't think the entire thing
                        wouldn't boot because of it, but after re-reading your message I
                        re-installed Unslung (again), specified the DNS server, and then
                        re-installed the Debian image. It turned on and beeped three times
                        (something new!) I was then able to SSH into it and everything!

                        Thanks for all of the help everybody!

                        On Dec 9, 2007 3:43 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                        > * John Klimek <jklimek@...> [2007-12-09 15:19]:
                        >
                        > > I've just installed Unslung 6.8 and verified I have a static IP
                        > > address with a correct netmask and gateway.
                        > >
                        > > After I upload the Debian firmware I get the orange light and I cannot
                        > > connect to that IP address (via SSH and telnet).
                        > >
                        > > Any other thoughts?
                        >
                        > What static IP address did you use? If you used 192.168.1.77 (the
                        > default used by the firmware) Debian will use DHCP rather than this IP
                        > address.
                        >
                        > Have you verified that DNS servers are set? Hostname?
                        > --
                        >
                        > Martin Michlmayr
                        > http://www.cyrius.com/

                      • Richard Morey
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                          I am trying to install debian on the NSLU2, and thanks to the help from
                          this mailing list I've managed to connect to the debian installer and
                          start the install process. However, I'm hitting some snags in partition
                          creation.

                          I'm using a Maxtor 60GB HD in a Coolmax360 enclosure. The drive mounts
                          up fine in Ubuntu Gutsy, with no errors (I've tried repartitioning and
                          fsck).

                          In the debian installer, after "calculating partitions" I get the error:
                          Input/output error during read on
                          /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

                          I'm wondering if it is the enclosure, after googling:
                          http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/97245-cant-mount-coolmax-hd-360-enclosure.html

                          Is there a workaround for this? Will the next version of debian solve
                          it? Do I need to just get new enclosures?

                          I've attached three files - the nslu2's syslog, the partman log, and the
                          syslog excerpt from when I plug it in in ubuntu.

                          The NSLU2's /var/log/syslog is full of lines like:
                          Apr 12 03:42:58 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x10070000
                          Apr 12 03:42:58 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 4

                          Below is an excerpt of /var/log/partman, showing the error:
                          *********************
                          parted_server: Closing infifo and outfifo
                          parted_server: main_loop: iteration 104
                          parted_server: Opening infifo
                          /bin/partman: IN: PARTITIONS =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                          parted_server: Read command: PARTITIONS
                          parted_server: command_partitions()
                          parted_server: Opening outfifo
                          parted_server: OUT: OK

                          parted_server: OUT: 1 32256-6999713279 6999681024 primary
                          ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

                          parted_server: OUT: 5 6999745536-7098416639 98671104 logical
                          linux-swap /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5

                          parted_server: OUT: 6 7098448896-59995192319 52896743424 logical
                          ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6

                          parted_server: Partitions printed
                          parted_server: OUT:

                          **********cut*************

                          parted_server: Closing infifo and outfifo
                          parted_server: main_loop: iteration 111
                          parted_server: Opening infifo
                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: IN: COMMIT
                          =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                          parted_server: Read command: COMMIT
                          parted_server: command_commit()
                          parted_server: Opening outfifo
                          parted_server: OUT: Error

                          parted_server: OUT: Input/output error during read on
                          /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

                          parted_server: OUT:

                          parted_server: OUT: Retry

                          parted_server: OUT: Ignore

                          parted_server: OUT: Cancel

                          parted_server: OUT:

                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: error_handler: exception with type Error
                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: error_handler: reading message
                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: paragraph: Input/output error during
                          read on /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: error_handler: reading options
                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: option: Retry
                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: option: Ignore
                          /lib/partman/commit.d/30parted: option: Cancel
                          /bin/partman: *******************************************************
                          /lib/partman/init.d/30parted:
                          /lib/partman/init.d/35dump:
                          /lib/partman/init.d/35dump: IN: DUMP =dev=mtdblock0
                          parted_server: exception_handler: Bad option: "DUMP =dev=mtdblock0"
                          parted_server: Line 301. CRITICAL ERROR!!! EXITING.
                          /bin/partman: *******************************************************
                          /lib/partman/init.d/30parted:
                          parted_server: ======= Starting the server
                          parted_server: main_loop: iteration 1
                          parted_server: Opening infifo
                          /lib/partman/init.d/30parted: IN: OPEN
                          =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                          /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
                          parted_server: Read command: OPEN
                          parted_server: command_open()
                          parted_server: Request to open =dev=scsi=host0=bus0=target0=lun0=disc
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                            * Richard Morey <moreyr@...> [2007-12-10 11:37]:
                            > In the debian installer, after "calculating partitions" I get the error:
                            > Input/output error during read on
                            > /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
                            >
                            > I'm wondering if it is the enclosure, after googling:
                            > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/97245-cant-mount-coolmax-hd-360-enclosure.html
                            >
                            > Is there a workaround for this? Will the next version of debian solve
                            > it? Do I need to just get new enclosures?

                            I guess you're referring to the patch at
                            http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=f1cd4ad202ce34d29c847fd82df948ff67c17826
                            If so, we could probably put that in our stable kernel.
                            --
                            Martin Michlmayr
                            http://www.cyrius.com/
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                              If it is the problem, this must be why I can't install debian the manual way, either.
                              It just can't mount up the drive because of the enclosure.

                              I don't deal much with kernel patches. How does one apply the patch to the firmware binary?

                              Thanks,
                              Richard

                              --
                              Richard Morey
                              Graduate Research Assistant

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 10, 2007
                                * Morey, Richard D (UMC-Student) <moreyr@...> [2007-12-10 22:26]:
                                > If it is the problem, this must be why I can't install debian the
                                > manual way, either.

                                Yeah, if the problem is what you described, this would certainly be
                                the case.

                                > I don't deal much with kernel patches. How does one apply the patch to the firmware binary?

                                You'd have to recompile our 2.6.18 kernel with the patch, and then
                                generate new images based on the kernel. But then you'd still have a
                                problem because the installer would install the kernel from the
                                archive and that won't work.

                                I just mailed our person in charge for stable kernel updates to see if
                                he can include the patch in the next revision. It's probably best to
                                wait for that.
                                --
                                Martin Michlmayr
                                http://www.cyrius.com/