mldonkey and memory usage

  • Tomasz
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2007
      I have a NSLUG with latest Debian. There are Samba, cups, micro-httpd
      and vsftpd running. All works as a charm nad uses <15MB of memory, at
      least top says so. I added mldonkey-server to use p2p networks. I
      installed it via apt-get as a standard Debian package. When run,
      mlserver get additional 40-45 MB, what makes NSLUG to swap (I use 1GB
      flash as system and swap drive) and extremaly slow.
      Does anybody any idea, what can I do? Maybe another version of
      mldonkey? Maybe another program? To fat Slug is to complicated for me,
      I am a software man:).
      Few months ago I used mldonkey on NSLUG with Unslung, but for some
      reasons (usage of more disks) I decided to switch to Debian. On
      Unslung there was no such problems with memory.

      Tomasz Frydryk
    • Tim Giffney
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2007
        Hi,

        I've tried this too on debian and gentoo. On both I had problems with
        memory. If it's a bittorrent client you're after, I run rtorrent in a
        screen session - with up to maybe 15 torrents going it's great, over
        that it tends to crash. Would this suit you?

        Cheers,
        Tim

        > I have a NSLUG with latest Debian. There are Samba, cups, micro-httpd
        > and vsftpd running. All works as a charm nad uses <15MB of memory, at
        > least top says so. I added mldonkey-server to use p2p networks. I
        > installed it via apt-get as a standard Debian package. When run,
        > mlserver get additional 40-45 MB, what makes NSLUG to swap (I use 1GB
        > flash as system and swap drive) and extremaly slow.
        > Does anybody any idea, what can I do? Maybe another version of
        > mldonkey? Maybe another program? To fat Slug is to complicated for me,
        > I am a software man:).
        > Few months ago I used mldonkey on NSLUG with Unslung, but for some
        > reasons (usage of more disks) I decided to switch to Debian. On
        > Unslung there was no such problems with memory.
        >
        > Tomasz Frydryk

      • Tomasz
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Tim Giffney <swift@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I've tried this too on debian and gentoo. On both I had problems
          with
          > memory. If it's a bittorrent client you're after, I run rtorrent in
          > screen session - with up to maybe 15 torrents going it's great, over
          > that it tends to crash. Would this suit you?

          Not really. The mldonkey was used mostly by my son, he is 10 yo and
          can not use shell commnads, so I prefere user-friendly web interface.
          And I prefere eMule network.

          Tomek
        • Michael Cowell
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
            Hi,

            I use mldonkey on my NSLU (under debian), and it works great. But I've
            upgraded the memory to 128 MBs. I seriously doubt if it'd work without
            doing this.

            Michael

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Tim Giffney <swift@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I've tried this too on debian and gentoo. On both I had problems with
            > memory. If it's a bittorrent client you're after, I run rtorrent in a
            > screen session - with up to maybe 15 torrents going it's great, over
            > that it tends to crash. Would this suit you?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Tim
            >
            > > I have a NSLUG with latest Debian. There are Samba, cups, micro-httpd
            > > and vsftpd running. All works as a charm nad uses <15MB of memory, at
            > > least top says so. I added mldonkey-server to use p2p networks. I
            > > installed it via apt-get as a standard Debian package. When run,
            > > mlserver get additional 40-45 MB, what makes NSLUG to swap (I use 1GB
            > > flash as system and swap drive) and extremaly slow.
            > > Does anybody any idea, what can I do? Maybe another version of
            > > mldonkey? Maybe another program? To fat Slug is to complicated for
            me,
            > > I am a software man:).
            > > Few months ago I used mldonkey on NSLUG with Unslung, but for some
            > > reasons (usage of more disks) I decided to switch to Debian. On
            > > Unslung there was no such problems with memory.
            > >
            > > Tomasz Frydryk

          • Tomasz
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2007
              I founf the solution. The solution is amule-daemon. Using remote GUI
              on Windows, WITHOUT web daemon works fine and prevents slug to swap
              continualy.

              Tomek Frydryk

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Cowell" <mjcowell@...>