Fixing corrupted partition

  • cmelikian
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
      I have a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB Desktop which I had Unslung'd with
      6.8 beta. After a month or so I noticed that some files wouldn't open
      and this got progressively worse.

      So, I've now installed Debian instead and used a 2Gb flash drive as
      the main Debian drive. I've now connected the FreeAgent but there were
      still problems so I ran:-

      fsck.ext3 /dev/sdb1

      which came back with loads of errors then restarted itself after about
      an hour then "Killed" itself. I re-ran it over a few times and now it
      says "Killed" almost immediately now and exits.

      slug:~# fsck.ext3 -p /dev/sda1
      /dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
      Killed

      What else can I do to recover the drive?

      Any help appreciated!
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
        On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:48:40AM -0000, cmelikian wrote:
        > slug:~# fsck.ext3 -p /dev/sda1
        > /dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
        > Killed

        When I have received the message "Killed" on Unslung, it meant
        that the system had run out of swap space. Adding more solved it.
      • cmelikian
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:
          > When I have received the message "Killed" on Unslung, it meant
          > that the system had run out of swap space. Adding more solved it.

          Thanks John. Turns out my Debian install didn't mount my swap
          partition despite creating it! Oh well, it's added now.... it really
          is a learning curve getting this thing installed and configured but
          I'm learning!