Files and folders permissions question with USB hub

  • mark.lalich
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      First my setup.

      Firmware: V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
      Unslung to: disk1, /dev/sdb1 (Kingston DataTraveler 1GB)
      USB hub: Dynex DX-UH234 (in disk2)
      Hard drives on USB hub: 60GB external enclosure
      Users created through NSLU2 www GUI:
      guest, admin, administrator
      Groups created through NSLU2 www GUI:
      administrators, everyone

      Now what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to create shares off of
      the 60GB drive and also have the ability to add more drives in the
      future off the USB hub and create shares from them. I've been using
      the following link as a reference on how to do this http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/HowTo/3orMoreEXT3DrivesWithAUSBHub.

      1. I created /share/storage1, /share/storage2, /share/storage3,
      and /share/storage4
      2. I edited /unslung/rc.local and added the folloing entries:
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /share/storage1 -o rw,noatime
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /share/storage2 -o rw,noatime
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /share/storage3 -o rw,noatime
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /share/storage4 -o rw,noatime
      return 1
      3. I edited/etc/samba/user_smb.conf and added the following entries:
      [music]
      valid users=@"administrators",@"everyone"
      comment=Music
      path=/share/storage1
      browsable=yes
      read only=yes
      write list=@"administrators",@"everyone"

      [videos]
      valid users=@"administrators",@"everyone"
      comment=Videos
      path=/share/storage2
      browsable=yes
      read only=yes
      write list=@"administrators",@"everyone"

      [movies]
      valid users=@"administrators",@"everyone"
      comment=Movies
      path=/share/storage3
      browsable=yes
      read only=yes
      write list=@"administrators",@"everyone"

      [photos]
      valid users=@"administrators",@"everyone"
      comment=Photos
      path=/share/storage4
      browsable=yes
      read only=yes
      write list=@"administrators",@"everyone"

      [ADMIN 1]
      browsable=no

      [DISK 1]
      browsable=no

      [ADMIN 2]
      browsable=no

      [DISK 2]
      browsable=no
      4. DO_Reboot

      Now when I go into Windows Explorer and type in \\ip.address.of.slug
      I can see my four shares, but when click any of them it shows me the
      entire contents of the unslung drive on Disk1. I can browse
      to /share/storage1, 2, 3 or 4 but I can't create any files within
      them. It states the standard "Access Denied" message.

      Questions:
      1. What am I doing wrong?
      2. Instead of creating folders in /share like storage1, 2, 3 or 4
      can I just name them music or movies, etc...?
      3. How can I find out which drives or devices are being identified
      as what? Meaning is there a command I can run that will tell me
      which USB drive is identified as sdb1 or sdc1?
      4. If the first HD off Disk2 is identified as sdc1 should I be
      stating the following in /unslung/rc.local?
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /share/storage1 -o rw,noatime
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /share/storage2 -o rw,noatime
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /share/storage3 -o rw,noatime
      /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /share/storage4 -o rw,noatime
      return 1

      Thanks,