Squeezebox connection

  • Stephanie Billen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm thinking of getting an nslu2, install slimserver and connect to a
      squeezebox. I'm just a bit unclear on whether I can link the nslu2 and
      the squeezebox directly with a crossover cable or whether I need to have
      a router involved.

      Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

      TIA,

      Dan
    • Roger Horne
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2007
        On Saturday 24 November 2007 19:25:20 Stephanie Billen wrote:

        > I'm thinking of getting an nslu2, install slimserver and connect to a
        > squeezebox. I'm just a bit unclear on whether I can link the nslu2 and
        > the squeezebox directly with a crossover cable or whether I need to have
        > a router involved.

        I can't see why not. But you are presumably going to have to connect the nslu2
        to a computer as well in order to transfer the software and music to it. You
        could swap the crossover cable from the SB to the computer but it would be a
        bit of a bore to do so each time you wanted to add new music.

        And if you want internet radio etc you need a connection to the internet which
        the SB cannot provide by itself.

        The SB can be used with the handset only, but the web interface, which needs a
        monitor to use, is much better.

        Roger Horne
      • Stephanie Billen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
          Roger wrote:
          > Saturday 24 November 2007 19:25:20 Stephanie Billen wrote:
          > >
          > > > I'm thinking of getting an nslu2, install slimserver and
          > connect to a
          > > > squeezebox. I'm just a bit unclear on whether I can link the
          > > nslu2 and
          > > > the squeezebox directly with a crossover cable or whether I need
          > > to have
          > > > a router involved.
          > > I can't see why not. But you are presumably going to have to connect
          > > the nslu2
          > > to a computer as well in order to transfer the software and music to
          > > it. You
          > > could swap the crossover cable from the SB to the computer but it
          > > would be a
          > > bit of a bore to do so each time you wanted to add new music.
          > >
          > > And if you want internet radio etc you need a connection to the
          > > internet which
          > > the SB cannot provide by itself.
          > >
          > > The SB can be used with the handset only, but the web interface,
          > > which needs a
          > > monitor to use, is much better.
          > >
          > > Roger Horne

          Thanks Roger. Sounds promising - my router and pc will be on some of the
          time but I don't want to have to rely on it. Much of the attraction of
          this configuration is avoiding having my pc and router on all the time.

          And I was rather hoping that when it was on it would connect wirelessly
          to my router. I need to investigate that though.

          Dan
        • Sebastien NOEL
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
            Hello, i ran nslu2 and squeezebox for over a year.
            You can install slimserver directly on nslu2, it runs with perl engine.
            You can use a crossover cable. But you will have to deal with connections between pc and nslu2 to updade music.
            This solution is ok but slow. Cpu speed is only 166mhz with 32mb.
            Seb