Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

telnetting to slug

Expand Messages
  • Roger Horne
    I asked in the general group about telnetting to redboot and Rod Whitby explained that it was unnecessary nowadays. I subsequently managed to install the
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2007
      I asked in the general group about telnetting to redboot and Rod Whitby
      explained that it was unnecessary nowadays. I subsequently managed to install
      the unslung softwe without difficulty - until I go to the unslinging bit in
      the instructions. I tried asking a firther question but I think that I have
      now solved it and I thought that I should set out what I have done -
      Amazon.co.uk has been selling the slug and a WD 500gb "book" for
      about 125 UKP and I doubt that I am the only person to buy the package (or to
      have this problem).

      The instructions say that before unsligning one must unplug the HD and then
      telnet into the diskless slug and then connect the disk again. This caused me
      difficulties. After loading the unslung software I rebooted with the disk
      attached and everything was fine : directories, groups, users all in the
      right place. I then turned off, unplugged the disk, restarted, set up telnet,
      plugged in and then powered up the disc. A substantial time later the web
      page claimed that I had a HD with 16mb (instead of 50gb) of which 3% was
      unused. I had saved the configuration and I tried reloading this : the slug
      loaded it and rebooted and once again I had 50gb of space - but of course I
      had lost the telnet connection.

      I tried many times and found that if the slug was booted with the HD attached
      everything worked: if the HD was added (and powered up) while the slug was
      running everything went wrong and the slug showed the disc as having 16mb of
      memory. So the Instructions to connect to telnet from a diskless slug could
      not be followed.

      Some wandering round the wiki found me some pages about altering the passed
      file in the config.bin and reloading that. eg see the last lines of
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine
      and
      http://www.batbox.org/LinksysNSLU2TelnetAccess.html

      So I untarred config.bin (having made a backup of it first). The file passwd
      contained the lines:

      root:WeeOvKUvbQ6nI:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
      and
      hrothgar:sczpW9AXqe2kM:2000:501:::/dev/null

      and I altered the former to read
      root:sczpW9AXqe2kM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh

      I resaved the file and re-tarred the directory as config.bin. With some
      trepidation I reloaded config.bin from the backup page and with even more
      trepidation turned on telnet from the manage telnet page and telnetted to the
      slug as root with hrothgar's pw:

      it worked and I successfully finished the installation. Everything seems to be
      working perfectly.

      Roger
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.