Hotswapping USB Drives

  • Hal Vaughan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2007
      I haven't seen much on this but it seems like it would work. I was
      asking about RAID earlier and am glad to see the advice is what type of
      RAID to go with for OpenSLUG instead of whether or not it can be done.

      I'm experimenting with my SLUG to see what I can and cannot do with it.
      One use I've considered is for a backup system. Yes, there would be a
      lot of cables, but it would be in a "safe" location where it would not
      be disturbed. I'd have one SLUG, one hub, and 4 USB drive enclosures
      and I could make sure they're not moved around.

      If I make a RAID in Linux with mdadm, one problem is it's not hot
      swappable. Since Linux has gotten good at recognizing new USB devices
      when they're plugged in, I'm wondering if a USB RAID on a SLUG has,
      essentially, hot swappable drives? I would think I could pull the USB
      cable on a bad drive (or one I wanted to take out for whatever reason),
      put a new drive in the enclosure, then plug the USB cable back in and
      Linux would detect the replacement.

      Has anyone tested this? What kind of results did they get? I tried
      searching the archives for "hot swap" and "RAID" and found only one
      thread on it. If anyone has done this, do I need to add the new drive
      to the RAID manually or does mdadm pick it up as a new, unformatted
      drive if it's at the same device it was?

      Thanks!

      Hal