Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Troubles with Unison and/or rsync

Expand Messages
  • diskcrasher
    I ve got my NSLU2 up and running with Unslung 6.8 and have installed the OpenSSH package. I can successfully ssh into the device and have ssh running on a
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      I've got my NSLU2 up and running with Unslung 6.8 and have installed
      the OpenSSH package. I can successfully ssh into the device and have
      ssh running on a port other than 22, which works fine. I want to
      perform system backups over ssh to the NSLU2 and was hoping to be able
      to use Unison for this, but every time I tried to specify a "to"
      location for the NSLU2 it would come back saying "unison: No such file
      or directory." The location I specified in Unison was
      "ssh://root@10.0.0.98:xx/root" where xx is the SSH port. Also tried
      "ssh://root@10.0.0.98:xx//root" with the same result. I'm running the
      Cygwin version of SSH on my PC.

      So I gave up on Unison and decided to try rsync directly using ssh as
      the tunnel. But low and behold, I get the same stinking error message
      "rsync: No such file or directory."

      I read somewhere on the website that some people have problems using
      the Cygwin version of SSH. Is this the issue or am I doing something
      wrong?
    • Rod Whitby
      ... Do you have rsync installed on the NSLU2 ? -- Rod
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        diskcrasher wrote:
        > I've got my NSLU2 up and running with Unslung 6.8 and have installed
        > the OpenSSH package. I can successfully ssh into the device and have
        > ssh running on a port other than 22, which works fine. I want to
        > perform system backups over ssh to the NSLU2 and was hoping to be able
        > to use Unison for this, but every time I tried to specify a "to"
        > location for the NSLU2 it would come back saying "unison: No such file
        > or directory." The location I specified in Unison was
        > "ssh://root@10.0.0.98:xx/root" where xx is the SSH port. Also tried
        > "ssh://root@10.0.0.98:xx//root" with the same result. I'm running the
        > Cygwin version of SSH on my PC.
        >
        > So I gave up on Unison and decided to try rsync directly using ssh as
        > the tunnel. But low and behold, I get the same stinking error message
        > "rsync: No such file or directory."

        Do you have rsync installed on the NSLU2 ?

        -- Rod
      • diskcrasher
        ... No, I do not. I was under the impression that I don t need to when using SSH. Am I incorrect? (I m new to rsync.)
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
          >
          > diskcrasher wrote:
          > > I've got my NSLU2 up and running with Unslung 6.8 and have installed
          > > the OpenSSH package. I can successfully ssh into the device and have
          > > ssh running on a port other than 22, which works fine. I want to
          > > perform system backups over ssh to the NSLU2 and was hoping to be able
          > > to use Unison for this, but every time I tried to specify a "to"
          > > location for the NSLU2 it would come back saying "unison: No such file
          > > or directory." The location I specified in Unison was
          > > "ssh://root@...:xx/root" where xx is the SSH port. Also tried
          > > "ssh://root@...:xx//root" with the same result. I'm running the
          > > Cygwin version of SSH on my PC.
          > >
          > > So I gave up on Unison and decided to try rsync directly using ssh as
          > > the tunnel. But low and behold, I get the same stinking error message
          > > "rsync: No such file or directory."
          >
          > Do you have rsync installed on the NSLU2 ?

          No, I do not. I was under the impression that I don't need to when
          using SSH. Am I incorrect? (I'm new to rsync.)
        • Rod Whitby
          ... SSH is just the transport mechanism. You need rsync at both ends to actually perform the file transfer. -- Rod
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            diskcrasher wrote:
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
            >> Do you have rsync installed on the NSLU2 ?
            >
            > No, I do not. I was under the impression that I don't need to when
            > using SSH. Am I incorrect? (I'm new to rsync.)

            SSH is just the transport mechanism. You need rsync at both ends to
            actually perform the file transfer.

            -- Rod
          • diskcrasher
            ... Thanks! It appears to be working now, although I ve seen a couple quirks (files/folders magically vanishing after being sent?) I ll need to play with it
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
              >
              > diskcrasher wrote:
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:
              > >> Do you have rsync installed on the NSLU2 ?
              > >
              > > No, I do not. I was under the impression that I don't need to when
              > > using SSH. Am I incorrect? (I'm new to rsync.)
              >
              > SSH is just the transport mechanism. You need rsync at both ends to
              > actually perform the file transfer.

              Thanks! It appears to be working now, although I've seen a couple
              quirks (files/folders magically vanishing after being sent?) I'll
              need to play with it more.

              Unison still giving same error message though.
            • Brendan Reid
              ... then maybe you are ready to look into rsnapshot which uses rsync to maintain time snapshots of harddrives on your network (eg 4 snapshots from last day, 1
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                On 04/11/2007, diskcrasher <diskcrasher@...> wrote:

                >Thanks! It appears to be working now




                then maybe you are ready to look into rsnapshot which uses rsync to maintain time snapshots of harddrives on your network (eg 4 snapshots from last day, 1 snapshot for each of last 7 days, 1 snapshot per each of the last 4 weeks, 1 snapshot per each of the last x months)

                it uses symlinks heavily so unless files change their is no big storage overhead in the multiple snapshots

                i use the slug to make copies of the network hd's in this way

                takes a bit of setting up... start small check working as you want for a few days...make sure you exclude temp/cache type files when backing up /home

                don't know unison but maybe this would work for you...

                bren



                 



                 


              • diskcrasher
                ... maintain ... last day, ... 4 weeks, ... for a few ... I ll take a look at rsnapshot. I finally got unison working (same mistake as with rsync, doh) but it
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Reid" <brenreid@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > On 04/11/2007, diskcrasher <diskcrasher@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > >Thanks! It appears to be working now
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > then maybe you are ready to look into rsnapshot which uses rsync to
                  maintain
                  > time snapshots of harddrives on your network (eg 4 snapshots from
                  last day,
                  > 1 snapshot for each of last 7 days, 1 snapshot per each of the last
                  4 weeks,
                  > 1 snapshot per each of the last x months)
                  >
                  > it uses symlinks heavily so unless files change their is no big storage
                  > overhead in the multiple snapshots
                  >
                  > i use the slug to make copies of the network hd's in this way
                  >
                  > takes a bit of setting up... start small check working as you want
                  for a few
                  > days...make sure you exclude temp/cache type files when backing up /home
                  >
                  > don't know unison but maybe this would work for you...

                  I'll take a look at rsnapshot. I finally got unison working (same
                  mistake as with rsync, doh) but it has a problem backing up in-use
                  files--it not only skips the file but skips all other files in that
                  directory tree! Not good.

                  How does rsync handle in-use files on Windows?
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.