Re: [nslu2-linux] root disk recommendations needed for a new user

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2007
      On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 02:28 +0000, tangbotu wrote:

      > It seems that every time I do a clean firmware upgrade I would need to
      > reformat the root disk.

      The only tested methode is a complete install. We are a small team so
      we are not able to test all the possible upgrade scenarios.

      But is possible to do a "dirty upgrade":
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/UpgradingToUnslung6

      > I want to avoid reformatting this 500GB HD because I have no other
      > place to backup the data.

      Don't trust your data to any single device.
      Sooner or later this disk will break.

      > So, is it recommended that I use this HD as the root disk, or I should
      > use a USB flash drive instead?

      I don't see a direct advantage for using a extra flash drive.

      > If the later is the way to go, I'm also debating whether to put native
      > ext3 or foreign NTFS on the HD.

      The ntfs driver is broken by design. Don't use it.

      > Another consideration is that I might occasionally unplug the HD to
      > use the USB2.0 bandwidth directly (I don't have a esata interface
      > yet).

      There are ext3 drivers for windows.

      --
      marceln