Re: [nslu2-linux] Can't get RedBoot to respond to ping or telnet (using R63 stock firmware)

  • Brendan Reid
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
      hi jim

      this command (for linux/ubuntu) creates a loop to poll the slug during boot.... could you construct a similar one for your apple laptop?

      while ! ping -W 1 -c 1 192.168.0.1 2>&1 >/dev/null; do true; done && telnet 192.168.0.1 9000

      worked for me to catch the redboot init.... even with Belkin ADSL router between laptop and slug.

      there is mention of the router causing a possible delay ... and missing the redboot on Wiki and it advises using a direct connection via cross-wired (what is the correct name for this )  cat 5 cable...

      hope either help...

      bren

      On 02/11/2007, jim_delahunt <from.egroups@...-alto.ca.us> wrote:

      Hi folks,

      I'm just starting my long-anticipated project to put UnSlung firmware
      onto our NSLU2 with v2.3R63 firmware. I downloaded the Unslung
      v6.8beta firmware. I'm following the instructions in the README there.

      I'm stuck trying to confirm telnet access into the Redboot firmware.
      I'm following the instructions at
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot> .

      Network topology: a single switch connects NSLU2, my laptop, and the
      router to the public internet. The router assigns IP addresses via
      DHCP in a different range than the RedBoot loader's 192.168.0.x range.
      Whether I use my default IP address or disconnect the router and give
      my laptop a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.105 (say) doesn't affect my
      symptoms.

      NSLU2 now has v2.3R63 firmware, stock. I upgraded the firmware from
      the original R24, but haven't installed any UnSlung yet.

      My laptop is an Apple Powerbook G4 running MacOS 10.3.9.

      I've attempted to set a route to the NSLU2 via the command
      sudo arp -s 192.168.0.1 00:a0:c5:45:0b:17

      When I give the command "arp -a", I see a line
      ? (192.168.0.1) at xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx on en0 permanent [ethernet]
      which makes me think that the route is established.

      When I let the NSLU2 boot all the way up, with no disk attached, I can
      see the linksys admin web pages on the NSLU's assigned IP address. So
      I think I have connectivity.

      I have tried the following to establish telnet into Redboot:

      1. Run the Tcl script given at HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

      2. Run the command "sudo ping -f 192.168.0.1; telnet 192.168.0.1 9000"

      3. Repeatedly execute "telnet 192.168.0.1 9000" while NSLU2's status
      light is amber.

      In each case, I don't get any indication that a ping succeeded, much
      less that I established a telnet connection. I do see the "Ethernet"
      LED on the NSLU2 flickering, especially fast for #2, so I suspect that
      the network connection is there.

      I haven't tried resetting the firmware, but I suspect that wouldn't
      make a difference, since the Redboot firmware has its own IP address
      which is independent of the NSLU2 firmware.

      Any ideas why I'm not getting through? Any suggestions for what else
      to try?

      Thank you!
      --Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

    • jim_delahunt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
        Well, I managed to get telnet access to RedBoot using R63 stock firmware

        On my Mac OS X 10.3.9, the following variant of Brendan Reid's "while
        ping" worked (note that it's one long line, quotes are significant):

        bash -c 'while ! ping -r -c 1 192.168.0.1 2>&1 >/dev/null ; do true ;
        done && telnet 192.168.0.1 9000'

        The -r option to ping replaces the -W 1 option. I couldn't find a way
        to make the output redirection work in MacOS X's default tcsh, so this
        line uses bash instead.

        The TCL script given in HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot also worked this time.

        I've updated <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot>
        with my findings.
        --Jim DeLaHunt