Advice needed for a bunch of SlugOS related(?) questions

  • Per Baekgaard
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
      I am trying to get a NSLU2 box running here. Initially I had problems unsling'ing it due to a large (500 GB) disk that I need to have placed in the USB1 slot, so after advice on the IRC I gave up on the "stock" unslung and went for one of the other distributions.

      I need a box that is capable of running a stable samba, ntp, nfs/rsync and firefly (mt-daapd) setup. Maybe I got it all wrong, but I assumed the OpenEmbedded SlugOS/BE would be a more efficient setup than a full-blown Debian based, so I went that route (SlugOS/BE).

      (I've documented some of the steps here: http://www.b4net.dk/?page_id=33)

      The box is running with most of the stuff installed, but I'm having a bunch of minor issues that I hope someone can help me with:

      1) If I try to use rsync via ssh into the box (as in "rsync -a /local -e ssh nslu2:/backup/directory), it sometimes hangs after having sync'ed all the files. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doen'st. If I ctrl-C the rsync on the client side (on a Ubuntu box), it returns with the expected error message and apparently all files have transferred correctly.

      Any idea what might be causing this?

      I can NFS mount the disks, and run the rsync this way, with roughly the same speed, so I have a work-around, but I would like to be able to do it via ssh.

      2) Using vi (busybox), the screen often gets garbled a bit and/or the cursor gets placed incorrectly. A couple of cltr-L will fix this, of course, but it is pretty annoying. I'm using either of gnome-terminal, xterm or PuTTy (from windows) and have tried changing the TERM from vt100 to xterm, but none of that helps. In fact, it appears as if it doesn't really matter what TERM is set to.

      Is this another setup thing I forgot to fix?

      3) I have tried to mount a windows disk using "mount -o cifs,username.... //windows/directory /local/directory". At first, it said the smbfs was not installed, so I figured I needed to install kernel-module-smbfs via ipkg. I also installed the libsmbclient0, just in case it was needed. And ran a depmod -a for the good of it...

      So now it tells me in dmesg "smbfs: mount_data version 1667851891 is not supported". I have tried mounting a real windows share and also a couple of other samba shares, and they all fail the same way.

      What do I need to do to get it going properly? I can see the shares using smbclient from the NSLU2 box.

      Apperently I've gotten the smbfs incorrectly installed or garbled somehow? Some package I need to re-install? I have cifs installed, btw.

      4) Lastly, the mt-daapd that is installed from the stock 3.10-beta is pretty old, and doesn't support the latest versions of iTunes nor my SoundBridge (European Pinnacle version).

      Is one of the later nightlies svn-xxxx available in binary package format? I tried, on someones suggestion, to install the armeb version with supporting optware packages according to http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=6865 -- but it failed upon start (maybe a missing configuration option or something), and I would prefer a version that uses the "rigth" libraries. Or is the proposed method safe?

      All help and hints appreciated!

      -- Per.
    • Per Baekgaard
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2007
        I wrote the post attached below some days ago (5, to be precise), but have not seem any replies so far.

        I'm still hoping someone can get at least some hints or pointers for me to progress a bit further on any of the 4 (unrelated) topics:

           - rsync sometimes hanging
           - vi garbling screen updates
           - smbfs/cifs not working when mounting a SMB share on the NSLU2
           - how to get the latest mt-daapd installed

        Thanks in advance,

        -- Per.

[...]

      • sdm485
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
          I do know that the vi in busybox behaves poorly. I think nano is in
          the feed (ipkg install nano) or if you download mc (midnight
          commander) from the unslung feed, you can use that. To use an optware
          package, you have to download it to your slug and run ipkg install
          <the path and name of the file.ipk>. This will put mc in the /opt/bin
          directory and you must run it if the path '/opt/bin/mc' or
          alternatively add /opt/bin to you path profile in '/etc/profile' and
          log in again. mc requires ncurses and terminfo.

          I use samba all the time and it works fine from OS/2, Linux, WinXP,
          W2K and OSX. It needs to be configured (/etc/samba/smb.conf) and
          restarted. There are sometimes conflicts over the 'master' on the
          network. I have the slug set to be the master and that allows it to
          work with WinXP.

          This is all I know that might help. I only use slugosbe myself.

          Steve

          -- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Per Baekgaard <baekgaard@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > of other samba shares, and they all fail the same way.
          >
          > What do I need to do to get it going properly? I can see the shares
          > using smbclient from the NSLU2 box.
          >
          > Apperently I've gotten the smbfs incorrectly installed or garbled
          > somehow? Some package I need to re-install? I have cifs installed, btw.
          >
          > 4) Lastly, the mt-daapd that is installed from the stock 3.10-beta is
          > pretty old, and doesn't support the latest versions of iTunes nor my
          > SoundBridge (European Pinnacle version).
          >
          > Is one of the later nightlies svn-xxxx available in binary package
          > format? I tried, on someones suggestion, to install the armeb version
          > with supporting optware packages according to
          > http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=6865 -- but it
          > failed upon start (maybe a missing configuration option or something),
          > and I would prefer a version that uses the "rigth" libraries. Or is the

        • Per Baekgaard
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
            Thanks for the reply!

            sdm485 wrote:

            > To use an optware package, you have to download it to your slug
            > and run ipkg install <the path and name of the file.ipk>.

            Other than that, is it then generally considered safe to install optware
            packages under SlugOS/BE?

            > I use samba all the time and it works fine from OS/2, Linux, WinXP,
            > W2K and OSX. It needs to be configured (/etc/samba/smb.conf)

            That is working well here also. I have samba configured, and can see and
            use the NSLU2 from my other machines on the net (Windows and Linux).

            The specific problem I have is that I cannot mount a windows share on
            the NSLU2 using the "mount -o cifs ...." command. I would like to be
            able to have a cron job backing up PCs on the network automatically.

            Again, thanks for your reply,

            -- Per.
          • sdm485
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
              It is generally not considered safe to use optware packages under
              SlugOS/BE mostly because of paths and libraries etc. Some packages are
              statically linked and the library problem is not an issue. But
              sometimes they work :)

              I have no experience with using samba as you are trying to, sorry. I
              think swat is somewhere in the feeds and maybe it would help.

              Steve

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Per Baekgaard <baekgaard@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the reply!
              >
              > sdm485 wrote:
              >
              > > To use an optware package, you have to download it to your slug
              > > and run ipkg install <the path and name of the file.ipk>.
              >
              > Other than that, is it then generally considered safe to install
              optware
              > packages under SlugOS/BE?
              >
              > > I use samba all the time and it works fine from OS/2, Linux, WinXP,
              > > W2K and OSX. It needs to be configured (/etc/samba/smb.conf)
              >
              > That is working well here also. I have samba configured, and can see
              and
              > use the NSLU2 from my other machines on the net (Windows and Linux).
              >
              > The specific problem I have is that I cannot mount a windows share on
              > the NSLU2 using the "mount -o cifs ...." command. I would like to be
              > able to have a cron job backing up PCs on the network automatically.
              >

              > Again, thanks for your reply,
              >

              > -- Per.

            • Per Baekgaard
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
                sdm485 said:
                > It is generally not considered safe to use optware packages under
                > SlugOS/BE mostly because of paths and libraries etc. Some packages are
                > statically linked and the library problem is not an issue. But
                > sometimes they work :)

                So in other words, if I check that all gets installed in /opt, and fix
                the start-up scripts etc, and it appears to work, then it may indeed
                work? :-)

                -- Per.
              • neil_homan
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
                  I generally have no problem with installing from optware from feeds as
                  per the following guide:

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe

                  Give you 2 ipkg installers/feeds
                  1. /usr/bin/ipkg
                  2. /opt/bin/ipkg

                  I don't often download the .ipk file and install like another poster
                  mentioned. the opt feed can be unstable but mostly works.

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Per Baekgaard <baekgaard@...> wrote:

                  > sdm485 said:
                  > > It is generally not considered safe to use optware packages under
                  > > SlugOS/BE mostly because of paths and libraries etc. Some
                  packages are
                  > > statically linked and the library problem is not an issue. But
                  > > sometimes they work :)
                  >
                  > So in other words, if I check that all gets installed in /opt, and fix
                  > the start-up scripts etc, and it appears to work, then it may indeed
                  > work? :-)
                  >

                  > -- Per.

                • Brendan Reid
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
                    Hi per

                    i am by no means expert on either linux or NSLU2 but hope below is relevant...
                    you will probably feel not because it is basically me saying "maybe
                    try unslung again"

                    good luck
                    bren

                    On 02/11/2007, Per Baekgaard <baekgaard@...> wrote:

                    > I am trying to get a NSLU2 box running here. Initially I had problems unsling'ing it due to a large (500 GB) disk that I need to have placed in the USB1 slot, so after advice on the IRC I gave up on the "stock" unslung and went for one of the other distributions.

                    I have Unslung with 500GB Western Digital on "Disk 2" USB port - works great.
                    Maybe easier to go back to this simpler option?!?

                    > I need a box that is capable of running a stable samba, ntp, nfs/rsync and firefly (mt-daapd) setup. Maybe I got it all wrong, but I assumed the OpenEmbedded SlugOS/BE would be a more efficient setup than a full-blown Debian based, so I went that route (SlugOS/BE).

                    Don't know sorry - haven't tried this route

                    > (I've documented some of the steps here: http://www.b4net.dk/?page_id=33)
                    >
                    > The box is running with most of the stuff installed, but I'm having a bunch of minor issues that I hope someone can help me with:
                    >
                    > 1) If I try to use rsync via ssh into the box (as in "rsync -a /local -e ssh nslu2:/backup/directory), it sometimes hangs after having sync'ed all the files. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doen'st. If I ctrl-C the rsync on the client side (on a Ubuntu box), it returns with the expected error message and apparently all files have transferred correctly.

                    rsync and rsnapshot working great on Unslung via SSH

                    <snip>

                    > What do I need to do to get it going properly? I can see the shares using smbclient from
                    the NSLU2 box.

                    smb working great on Unslung

                    > Apperently I've gotten the smbfs incorrectly installed or garbled somehow? Some package I need to re-install? I have cifs installed, btw.
                    >
                    > 4) Lastly, the mt-daapd that is installed from the stock 3.10-beta is pretty old, and doesn't support the latest versions of iTunes nor my SoundBridge (European Pinnacle version).

                    mt-daapd from ipkg install works fine with latest iTunes I have (7.4.1
                    from memory)
                    just tried to find out version via mt-daapd -v or --version but not
                    able to sorry
                  • Brian Zhou
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Per Baekgaard <baekgaard@...> wrote:

                      > sdm485 said:
                      > > It is generally not considered safe to use optware packages under
                      > > SlugOS/BE mostly because of paths and libraries etc. Some
                      packages are
                      > > statically linked and the library problem is not an issue. But
                      > > sometimes they work :)

                      I don't like this characterization. It's as if optware/slugosbe
                      packages work by chance, which is not true. The ones I use just work.
                      I'd like to hear bug report about broken ones. There're packages such
                      as rtorrent that work only better on optware/slugosbe than
                      optware/unslung.

                      It is not supported to use binary packages from optware/unslung on
                      slugosbe. Instead, follow the instruction on
                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe

                      > So in other words, if I check that all gets installed in /opt, and fix
                      > the start-up scripts etc, and it appears to work, then it may indeed
                      > work? :-)

                      By design, optware packages only install files under /opt, the
                      start-up scripts are under /opt/etc/init.d. Optware binaries will
                      automatically find libraries in /opt/lib, almost all of them are
                      dynamically linked. You just need to be very clear which binary is
                      from which feed and use the right PATH.

                      Although there're more people using optware/unslung, I don't think OP
                      need to go back to unslung. If you know what you're doing,
                      optware/slugosbe can work as well if not better than optware/unslung.

                      -Brian Zhou
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
                        It is unsafe (and definitely not supported) to use the optware/unslung feed on SlugOS (it's designed and built for usage on Unslung, not on SlugOS).
                        It is perfectly safe (and well supported by the project) to use the optware/slugosbe feed on SlugOS/BE - that's what it is designed and built for.
                        Optware is built for more than 10 different targets, and distributed in separate feeds for each of those targets. Unslung is just one of those targets.
                        Use the correct feed for the correct target and everything works as designed.
                        -- Rod

                        It is generally not considered safe to use optware packages under
                        >SlugOS/BE mostly because of paths and libraries etc. Some packages are statically linked and the library problem is not an issue. But
                        >sometimes they work :)
                        >
                        >I have no experience with using samba as you are trying to, sorry. I think swat is somewhere in the feeds and maybe it would help.
                        >
                        >Steve
                        >
                        >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Per Baekgaard <baekgaard@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Thanks for the reply!
                        >
                        > sdm485 wrote:
                        >
                        > > To use an optware package, you have to download it to your slug
                        > > and run ipkg install <the path and name of the file.ipk>.
                        >
                        > Other than that, is it then generally considered safe to install
                        >optware
                        > packages under SlugOS/BE?
                        >
                        > > I use samba all the time and it works fine from OS/2, Linux, WinXP,
                        > > W2K and OSX. It needs to be configured (/etc/samba/smb.conf)
                        >
                        > That is working well here also. I have samba configured, and can see and
                        > use the NSLU2 from my other machines on the net (Windows and Linux).
                        >
                        > The specific problem I have is that I cannot mount a windows share on
                        > the NSLU2 using the "mount -o cifs ...." command. I would like to be
                        > able to have a cron job backing up PCs on the network automatically.
                        >

                        > Again, thanks for your reply,
                        >

                        > -- Per.
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • sdm485
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 7, 2007
                          I did not realize that optware was available for slugos. Sorry for the
                          confusion. Very cool.
                          Steve