Re: [nslu2-linux] No network after successful Debian install

  • Brian Wood
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
      stevecor11 wrote:

      > I've followed the Debian/NSLU2 manual install instructions at
      > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html
      > <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html> precisely but after the
      > final reboot, my NSLU2 does not appear on the network. I tried both a
      > 4GB flash drive and a 20GB hard disk. The various LEDs lead me to
      > believe the file system is checked, followed by a reboot, followed by
      > mounting the disk. Examining the disk afterward confirms the file
      > system is marked dirty. No files were modified. The DHCP server is a
      > Linksys WRT54G v6.0. I tried a different DHCP server with no change.
      > The DHCP server log show no requests from the NSLU2. For diagnosis I
      > ran the Debian 4.0r1 install which used the network quite a bit
      > successfully before the install expectedly failed due to the broken
      > installer in that version. So I know the network device can physically
      > work. One other clue is that when the device was tested with the
      > factory linksys firmware, it failed to obtain a DHCP IP address and
      > reverted to the default 192.168.1.77. But otherwise the NSLU2 appeared
      > to work fine. I'm stumped how to diagnose this further. Any ideas?

      I'd try just giving it a static IP address.

      beww
    • stevecor11
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
        > I'd try just giving it a static IP address.

        I attempted to do that by modifying /etc/network/interfaces:

        #iface eth0 inet dhcp
        iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.28
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        dns-nameservers 209.221.136.4

        But still nothing. Is this the proper way to set up Debian for static
        IP?
      • stevecor11
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
          I removed the battery and reset the clock using the factory Linksys
          firmware and then everything worked fine.