No network after successful Debian install

  • stevecor11
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
      I've followed the Debian/NSLU2 manual install instructions at
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html precisely but after the
      final reboot, my NSLU2 does not appear on the network. I tried both a
      4GB flash drive and a 20GB hard disk. The various LEDs lead me to
      believe the file system is checked, followed by a reboot, followed by
      mounting the disk. Examining the disk afterward confirms the file
      system is marked dirty. No files were modified. The DHCP server is a
      Linksys WRT54G v6.0. I tried a different DHCP server with no change.
      The DHCP server log show no requests from the NSLU2. For diagnosis I
      ran the Debian 4.0r1 install which used the network quite a bit
      successfully before the install expectedly failed due to the broken
      installer in that version. So I know the network device can physically
      work. One other clue is that when the device was tested with the
      factory linksys firmware, it failed to obtain a DHCP IP address and
      reverted to the default 192.168.1.77. But otherwise the NSLU2 appeared
      to work fine. I'm stumped how to diagnose this further. Any ideas?
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
        stevecor11 wrote:

        > I've followed the Debian/NSLU2 manual install instructions at
        > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html
        > <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html> precisely but after the
        > final reboot, my NSLU2 does not appear on the network. I tried both a
        > 4GB flash drive and a 20GB hard disk. The various LEDs lead me to
        > believe the file system is checked, followed by a reboot, followed by
        > mounting the disk. Examining the disk afterward confirms the file
        > system is marked dirty. No files were modified. The DHCP server is a
        > Linksys WRT54G v6.0. I tried a different DHCP server with no change.
        > The DHCP server log show no requests from the NSLU2. For diagnosis I
        > ran the Debian 4.0r1 install which used the network quite a bit
        > successfully before the install expectedly failed due to the broken
        > installer in that version. So I know the network device can physically
        > work. One other clue is that when the device was tested with the
        > factory linksys firmware, it failed to obtain a DHCP IP address and
        > reverted to the default 192.168.1.77. But otherwise the NSLU2 appeared
        > to work fine. I'm stumped how to diagnose this further. Any ideas?

        I'd try just giving it a static IP address.

        beww
      • stevecor11
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
          > I'd try just giving it a static IP address.

          I attempted to do that by modifying /etc/network/interfaces:

          #iface eth0 inet dhcp
          iface eth0 inet static
          address 192.168.1.28
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          gateway 192.168.1.1
          dns-nameservers 209.221.136.4

          But still nothing. Is this the proper way to set up Debian for static
          IP?
        • stevecor11
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
            I removed the battery and reset the clock using the factory Linksys
            firmware and then everything worked fine.