Re: Anyone know how the slug 5V to 3.3V power conversion works?

  • MIKi
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
      Perhaps this values should be OK, but as You see w/o more information
      nobody can say anything about your voltages ... : (
    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
        Rod Whitby wrote:
        > I have a slug which is not working (symptom is a short blink on the
        > power led on power-up, and then nothing on any leds after that, and
        > nothing on the serial console), and I'm measuring less than 1V on the
        > 3.3V power rail.
        >
        > Does anyone have any details on the slug's internal power conversion
        > circuitry? I'd like to work out what has failed ...

        Hi Rod,

        I know exactly how it works. Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

        Phil.

        (If you cc: me in your reply, I'll see it sooner; I'm subscribed to the digest.)
      • sdm485
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
          The FP5452 datasheet has an application note that should provide the
          basic design. I just took a look at one of my units and capacitor C45
          is bulging in the same way as ones on a few failed motherboards I
          fixed a while ago. It is possible that you have the same problem.
          There was quite a scandal about it a few years back. If it turns out
          to be a problem, you need a low ESR device in that location and
          replacing C48 as well would be a good idea.

          Steve