Re: [nslu2-linux] Anyone know how the slug 5V to 3.3V power conversion works?

  • michael taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
      On 11/1/07, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
      > I have a slug which is not working (symptom is a short blink on the
      > power led on power-up, and then nothing on any leds after that, and
      > nothing on the serial console), and I'm measuring less than 1V on the
      > 3.3V power rail.

      Where are you measuring that power rail?

      What is the wall-wart power supply voltage unloaded (not plugged into
      the board) and loaded (plugged into the board, measure from the power
      plug on board is easiest)?

      Some quick measurements I just did.

      Wall wart,
      unloaded: 5.12 V
      loaded: 5.08 V

      C45: 5.08V (near RAM)
      C21: 3.3V (near Realtek Ethernet chip)
      C146: 3.xx V (underside, near power switch)
      D13: 3.0V (anode) 2.4 (or 2.5)V (cathode) (underside near 4 LEDs and
      Real-Time-Clock)

      > Does anyone have any details on the slug's internal power conversion
      > circuitry? I'd like to work out what has failed ...

      I assume you have identified U16 as the power management IC, Feeling
      Technology's FP5452
      with under-voltage lock out, and short circuit protection.

      FP5452 datasheet <http://www.dianyuan.com/bbs/u/46/1160442105.pdf>

      Don't know if that helps at all.
    • MIKi
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        > Any chance you could draw the circuit diagram for me (and explain it's
        > operation), so I can match it to the components on the slug and start
        > measuring some voltages?

        This circuits are very simples, at home visual inspection usable only.
        Because of the converters working on higher frequencies, You cant
        measure or check anything on your desk : (
      • MIKi
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
          Perhaps this values should be OK, but as You see w/o more information
          nobody can say anything about your voltages ... : (
        • Phil Endecott
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
            Rod Whitby wrote:
            > I have a slug which is not working (symptom is a short blink on the
            > power led on power-up, and then nothing on any leds after that, and
            > nothing on the serial console), and I'm measuring less than 1V on the
            > 3.3V power rail.
            >
            > Does anyone have any details on the slug's internal power conversion
            > circuitry? I'd like to work out what has failed ...

            Hi Rod,

            I know exactly how it works. Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

            Phil.

            (If you cc: me in your reply, I'll see it sooner; I'm subscribed to the digest.)
          • sdm485
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
              The FP5452 datasheet has an application note that should provide the
              basic design. I just took a look at one of my units and capacitor C45
              is bulging in the same way as ones on a few failed motherboards I
              fixed a while ago. It is possible that you have the same problem.
              There was quite a scandal about it a few years back. If it turns out
              to be a problem, you need a low ESR device in that location and
              replacing C48 as well would be a good idea.

              Steve