Re: rtorrent upload stops when using limits

  • kaputnikgo
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
      As a follow on to this rtorrent problem that has been noticed and
      commented on in other lists and messages - the way I get around this
      is to just let the rtorrent client max out my bandwidth during
      off-peak times.
      Also, if you use the rtorstat python to html web stats generator you
      will at least get the torrent size, size uploaded, size downloaded and
      ratio info that is otherwise missing from the command line...

      hope this helps some,
      kaputnik

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, ChiefOldMist <chiefoldmist@...> wrote:

      > On 9/21/07, helgehopmark <helge@...> wrote:
      >
      > But when setting e.g. a 50 kbyte/sek limit, the upload rate
      > immediately drops to zero.
      > >
      > > Could anyone advise a possible solution?
      > >

      > Helge,
      >
      > I cannot suggest a solution but I noticed exactly the same behaviour
      > from my setup (which is the same and has been working fine) last night
      > - but did not have time to explore it more thoroughly.
      >
      > This may at least go some way to showing you that the problem is not
      > exclusive to your setup but may be a more general problem.
      >
      > It may be useful to ask the question on the rtorrent list:
      > libtorrent-devel@...
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > ChiefOldMist

    • kaputnikgo
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
        Just updated rtorrent to version 0.8 and libtorrent to version 0.12
        (the latest at the time of posting) and am currently running it on an
        unslung 6-10 beta WITH bandwidth throttle ability. Currently i have
        only tested with global upload rate being throttled but will test the
        download rate later tonight when my bandwidth ticks over to off-peak.
        Great news for the unslung rtorrent boxes out there - just ipkg update.

        yours
        kaputnikgo

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "kaputnikgo" <kaputnikgo@...> wrote:

        > As a follow on to this rtorrent problem that has been noticed and
        > commented on in other lists and messages - the way I get around this
        > is to just let the rtorrent client max out my bandwidth during
        > off-peak times.
        > Also, if you use the rtorstat python to html web stats generator you
        > will at least get the torrent size, size uploaded, size downloaded and
        > ratio info that is otherwise missing from the command line...
        >
        > hope this helps some,
        > kaputnik
        >

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, ChiefOldMist <chiefoldmist@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 9/21/07, helgehopmark <helge@> wrote:
        > >
        > > But when setting e.g. a 50 kbyte/sek limit, the upload rate
        > > immediately drops to zero.
        > > >
        > > > Could anyone advise a possible solution?
        > > >

        > > Helge,
        > >
        > > I cannot suggest a solution but I noticed exactly the same behaviour
        > > from my setup (which is the same and has been working fine) last night
        > > - but did not have time to explore it more thoroughly.
        > >
        > > This may at least go some way to showing you that the problem is not
        > > exclusive to your setup but may be a more general problem.
        > >
        > > It may be useful to ask the question on the rtorrent list:
        > > libtorrent-devel@
        > >
        > > --
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > ChiefOldMist

      • kaputnikgo
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
          Throttle limit fixed -
          apologies for the double post but I have just checked the upload and
          download global throttles on rtorrent 0.8 on unslung 6-10 and have
          determined that setting a value for these limits does not halt the
          download/upload anymore. On previous versions of rtorrent, setting a
          value other than 'off' for the throttle resulted in rtorrent stopping
          the file from downloading. With the latest ipkg version of it and
          libtorrent, this problem seems to have disappeared.

          Note, however, that the Main view of rtorrent still reports a zero
          value for file size, downloaded size, uploaded size and ratio. The
          Info view of a torrent also has memory, diskspace and rate values all
          zeroed still.

          rtorstat.py still has its uses... ;)

          all the best, kaputnikgo