solid amber light after installing etch firmware

  • richarddmorey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      I got my NSLU2 today. I've been planning to install debian on it via
      the instructions here:

      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html

      I installed unslung and played with the web interface a little
      (formatted my external drive, changed the network settings), then
      decided to install debian.

      I plugged in my external hard drive to my laptop (running Ubuntu 7
      livedisk) and partitioned/formatted my drive using Gparted. Here is
      what fdisk looks like after I've partitioned:

      Disk /dev/sdb: 60.0 GB, 60000000000 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7294 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sdb1 * 1 255 2048256 83 Linux
      /dev/sdb2 256 7294 56540767+ 5 Extended
      /dev/sdb5 256 510 2048256 82 Linux swap /
      Solaris
      /dev/sdb6 511 7294 54492448+ 83 Linux

      I mounted /dev/sdb1, extracted the debian tarball (provided on the
      website linked above) onto it, and unmounted it. I hooked up my NSLU2
      to my PC using a crossover cable, put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode, and
      wrote the etch firmware to the NSLU2. When it rebooted, I attached the
      external hard drive to the Disk 1 slot. The lights blink as it is
      booting, and then it settles into two lights being active: ethernet
      (green) and status (light amber). The status light remains amber for
      as long as I can tell.

      About 10 seconds after the status light turns amber, the activity
      light on the external hard drive blinks very briefly twice, then goes
      back off. The "Disk 1" light never lights up on the NSLU2.

      I looked at the troubleshooting material on the web for hints. I tried
      setting FSCKFIX=yes in /etc/default/rcS. This didn't affect anything.
      I reattached the hard drive to my PC and looked at /var/log/boot. It
      is empty.

      It looks to me as though the NSLU2 is not mounting the root partition.
      Is there any reason this might happen? How can I troubleshoot this?

      Thanks,
      RDM
    • Max_LegRoom
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007

        I have yet to put debian on my slug, so I may be wrong but shouldn't
        you attach the drive immediately after upslug finishes and BEFORE
        rebooting? According to your post you rebooted first...

        Stu

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "richarddmorey" <moreyr@...> wrote:

        > I got my NSLU2 today. I've been planning to install debian on it via
        > the instructions here:
        >
        > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html
        >
        > I installed unslung and played with the web interface a little
        > (formatted my external drive, changed the network settings), then
        > decided to install debian.
        >
        > I plugged in my external hard drive to my laptop (running Ubuntu 7
        > livedisk) and partitioned/formatted my drive using Gparted. Here is
        > what fdisk looks like after I've partitioned:
        >
        > Disk /dev/sdb: 60.0 GB, 60000000000 bytes
        > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7294 cylinders
        > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
        >
        > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
        > /dev/sdb1 * 1 255 2048256 83 Linux
        > /dev/sdb2 256 7294 56540767+ 5 Extended
        > /dev/sdb5 256 510 2048256 82 Linux swap /
        > Solaris
        > /dev/sdb6 511 7294 54492448+ 83 Linux
        >
        > I mounted /dev/sdb1, extracted the debian tarball (provided on the
        > website linked above) onto it, and unmounted it. I hooked up my NSLU2
        > to my PC using a crossover cable, put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode, and
        > wrote the etch firmware to the NSLU2. When it rebooted, I attached the
        > external hard drive to the Disk 1 slot. The lights blink as it is
        > booting, and then it settles into two lights being active: ethernet
        > (green) and status (light amber). The status light remains amber for
        > as long as I can tell.
        >
        > About 10 seconds after the status light turns amber, the activity
        > light on the external hard drive blinks very briefly twice, then goes
        > back off. The "Disk 1" light never lights up on the NSLU2.
        >
        > I looked at the troubleshooting material on the web for hints. I tried
        > setting FSCKFIX=yes in /etc/default/rcS. This didn't affect anything.
        > I reattached the hard drive to my PC and looked at /var/log/boot. It
        > is empty.
        >
        > It looks to me as though the NSLU2 is not mounting the root partition.
        > Is there any reason this might happen? How can I troubleshoot this?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > RDM

      • Richard D. Morey
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
          Well, it do it when unslug2 says "Rebooting," as fast as I can. Should I
          connect it earlier, when it is verifying the firmware?

          Richard

          --
          Richard D. Morey, M.A.
          Research Assistant, Perception and Cognition Lab