Re: Unslung 6.8 refuses to start up. Help!

  • cmelikian
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 29, 2007
      Thank you all for your replies! Unfortunately Gutsy Gibbon (or
      &^%^%$$$ Gibbon as it's now know in our house!) refuses to boot on my
      Dell Inspiron 8200 so I'm trying it with Knoppix instead.

      I'll give it a try and report back!

      Many Thanks, Chris.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Overholser Jr"
      <omnipotent13@...> wrote:

      > If you're using a relatively recent Ubuntu, it should mount the disk
      > automatically when you plug it into your USB port. Then you can use the
      > mount command from a terminal to determine the device node. Just type
      > 'mount' without any parameters and it will list the mounted volumes and
      > their /dev nodes so you can see which one to fsck. Then you should
      be able
      > to unmount the volume before you run the fsck. You can unmount the
      volume(s)
      > from the desktop by right-clicking on the icon for it and selecting
      "Safely
      > remove." This has been my experience with Ubuntu, at least. If the hard
      > drive has more than one volume, you might have to go somewhere else to
      > unmount the rest. I don't use Gnome (the default desktop in Ubuntu) so I
      > can't tell you where, but after a little poking around you should be
      able to
      > find it or someone who can tell you where it is.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > On 10/28/07, Brian Wood <bwood@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > cmelikian wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > Just downloading Ubuntu to try it now... sorry for my ignorance, but
      > > > how do I specifically mount this disk. I plug the USB drive in and
      > > > what do I need to type to get it mounted? Is it:-
      > > >
      > > > mount /dev/sda1 /tmpmount
      > > >
      > > > or something different?
      > > >

      > > That would mount it, assuming you are root, /tmpmount exists and has
      > > proper permissions and /dev/sda1 contains a filesystem type that mount
      > > recognizes (-t (filesystem) will tell it explicitly).
      > >
      > > But, you do not have to mount it in order to run fsck on it, and
      in fact
      > > you probably don't want to, so:
      > >
      > > fsck /dev/sda1
      > >
      > > Assuming /dev/sda is the proper drive. Be careful because some Linux
      > > installations now use /sdn for all drives, PATA, SATA, SCSI and
      USB, so