Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 going to sleep while client backing up

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2007
      On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 04:01:52PM -0000, tgposz wrote:
      > Sometimes this backup is successful (seems like it was a small
      > incremental backup) but if there are large quantity of backup work to
      > do, the NSLU2 seems to hang, and network traffic drops to just about
      > zero.

      Is it possible that that issue is connected with:

      > USB Port 1: Ready (FAT/NTFS), 161068MB (0% Free)

      "0% Free" leaves little room for a backup to succeed.

      Also note that the Port 1 drive is shown above as being 160GB
      total, not the 500GB you mention elsewhere. This might be a
      partitioning problem.

      John
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2007
        > USB 1 is really a 500gb NTFS drie
        > Sometimes this backup is successful (seems like it was
        > a small incremental backup) but if there are large
        > quantity of backup work to do, the NSLU2 seems to
        > hang, and network traffic drops to just about zero.

        This is the classic symptom of the broken Linksys NTFS driver. The slug
        didn't "go to sleep", it crashed.

        Mike (mwester)
      • tgposz
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2007
          does the Paragon driver noted half-way into http://www.nslu2-
          linux.org/wiki/FAQ/NTFS help in any of this?

          there are some notes, earlier this year, that issues with the manual
          installation methods were not working or were working, but there
          doesn't appear to be a final consensus, or if there is, it's not
          noted very well...

          OR, am I to take another path, SlugOS, Ext3, and Samba clients?

          Ultimately, I wanted to have a NAS for backup and a central print
          server, but haven't gotten to the latter just yet...

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>