NSLU2 going to sleep while client backing up

  • tgposz
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2007
      Server Name: NSLU2
      Version: V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta (turbo'd)
      IP Address: 192.168.1.109
      USB Port 1: Ready (FAT/NTFS), 161068MB (0% Free)
      USB Port 2: Ready, 717MB (94% Free)

      USB 1 is really a 500gb NTFS drie
      USB 2 is my 1gb flash drive

      I'm backing up my computer's hard drive (running WinXP) with Iomega
      backup client (that came with the USB drive), just changed to
      the "windows share" drive letter I assigned to the NSLU2 share for
      this USB drive.

      Sometimes this backup is successful (seems like it was a small
      incremental backup) but if there are large quantity of backup work to
      do, the NSLU2 seems to hang, and network traffic drops to just about
      zero.

      I've not gotten into much except OpenSSH on my slug (and the turbo
      hardware hack) and I'm a bit new to much about anything linux.

      Searching for "backup" on the group didn't really reveal much.

      Ideas? Help would be welcomed.
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2007
        On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 04:01:52PM -0000, tgposz wrote:
        > Sometimes this backup is successful (seems like it was a small
        > incremental backup) but if there are large quantity of backup work to
        > do, the NSLU2 seems to hang, and network traffic drops to just about
        > zero.

        Is it possible that that issue is connected with:

        > USB Port 1: Ready (FAT/NTFS), 161068MB (0% Free)

        "0% Free" leaves little room for a backup to succeed.

        Also note that the Port 1 drive is shown above as being 160GB
        total, not the 500GB you mention elsewhere. This might be a
        partitioning problem.

        John
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2007
          > USB 1 is really a 500gb NTFS drie
          > Sometimes this backup is successful (seems like it was
          > a small incremental backup) but if there are large
          > quantity of backup work to do, the NSLU2 seems to
          > hang, and network traffic drops to just about zero.

          This is the classic symptom of the broken Linksys NTFS driver. The slug
          didn't "go to sleep", it crashed.

          Mike (mwester)
        • tgposz
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2007
            does the Paragon driver noted half-way into http://www.nslu2-
            linux.org/wiki/FAQ/NTFS help in any of this?

            there are some notes, earlier this year, that issues with the manual
            installation methods were not working or were working, but there
            doesn't appear to be a final consensus, or if there is, it's not
            noted very well...

            OR, am I to take another path, SlugOS, Ext3, and Samba clients?

            Ultimately, I wanted to have a NAS for backup and a central print
            server, but haven't gotten to the latter just yet...

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>