filenames containing international charaters

  • ivar.hamrin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
      Hi everyone!

      I´ve successfully uslung my slug using Unslung 6.3 beta, almost
      everything's working fine including mounting a NTFS formatted drive
      simply following the UnslungLanguageSupport-howto. The slug is unslung
      to a natively formatted drive. But there's still one problem: the
      filesnames containing non english charaters (swedish in my case), are
      not shown correctly. This make's it impossible for me to f.x. deleate
      one of those files. All of this applies to telnet (PuTTY), the Linksys
      web interface and to my Pinnacle Soundbridge connected to the slug
      usning MediaTomb upnp-server, however not to Windows browsing the file
      tree in Explorer or any other application. Kind of annoying. Does
      anyone have a solution? Since there's no problem in Windows, I figure
      the problem's not related to samba, or is it?

      Can someone please help me! Can't sleep until the situation's sorted
      out! ;-)

      I figured I should try to install a kernel package containing support
      for charater set iso-8859-1 (even though I'm not shure that's gonna
      solve the problem), but the only package I could find is for
      OpenSlug/SlugOS...
    • ralphqramden
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "ivar.hamrin" <ivar.hamrin@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone!
        >
        > I´ve successfully uslung my slug using Unslung 6.3 beta, almost
        > everything's working fine including mounting a NTFS formatted drive
        > simply following the UnslungLanguageSupport-howto. The slug is unslung
        > to a natively formatted drive. But there's still one problem: the
        > filesnames containing non english charaters (swedish in my case), are
        > not shown correctly. This make's it impossible for me to f.x. deleate
        > one of those files. All of this applies to telnet (PuTTY), the Linksys
        > web interface and to my Pinnacle Soundbridge connected to the slug
        > usning MediaTomb upnp-server, however not to Windows browsing the file
        > tree in Explorer or any other application. Kind of annoying. Does
        > anyone have a solution? Since there's no problem in Windows, I figure
        > the problem's not related to samba, or is it?
        >
        > Can someone please help me! Can't sleep until the situation's sorted
        > out! ;-)

        I ran into this same situation while using GTKpod on my linux box and
        also on my
        slug. I noticed on the slug's web interface that a space was inserted
        in some of
        the file names where an international character was previously.

        I *do* believe that the problem is a Windows problem. You might like
        to see my
        post in the forum for Reciva based wifi radios at:

        https://www.reciva.com/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=77&func=view&id=8648&catid=3#msg8648

        > I figured I should try to install a kernel package containing support
        > for charater set iso-8859-1 (even though I'm not shure that's gonna
        > solve the problem), but the only package I could find is for
        > OpenSlug/SlugOS...

        Basically I think (at least I can't find a way) to tell Window$ to
        automatically
        default to UTF-8, which is the Linux standard, even though it
        understands it. It
        will always stick with ISO 8859-1 *until* it finds a character that
        doesn't
        overlap with UTF-8 like å and ø. Only then will it fall over to UTF-8.

        Now my problem with GTKpod was easily solved by telling it (and samba)
        to work
        in ISO 8859-1. However, I couldn't tell my Linux based Reciva radio to
        "work" in
        ISO 8859-1 just as we can't seem to tell a slug to do the same thing
        without
        moving off away from uNSLUng. Sorry to say I ended up going through my
        5000 odd
        MP3's and removing all offending diacritics and other characters.

        If you could get all the files renamed on a Linux box and *then* put
        them on the
        *native* slug disk, that might do the trick. I want those characters
        too, so I
        will be working on it.

        Any other thoughts from anyone?

        And perhaps since you mentioned it you might tell me how you make out with
        Mediatomb. I have trouble with it telling me the mediatomb.db file is
        corrupted
        on restart. It works fine for me when I start it and use it, but once
        it is
        shutdown and restarted it says the database is corrupted (which I have
        confirmed
        with "sqlite3_analyzer.exe". I exchanged emails with one of the
        authors and he
        feels that perhaps the .db file is getting saved in 'flash' which is a
        problem.
        He thought perhaps moving it to a mounted disk location, perhaps in
        with the
        music files might fix it, but I haven't tried yet.

        Sorry for the length of this post, and if you care to talk about
        Mediatomb,
        perhaps begin another thread?

        Thanks and take care.....

        Brian
      • ralphqramden
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
          I must apologize for the <80 chars per line in my last post!
          It never occurred to me that Yahoo would not format it correctly.

          I see from perusing the wiki some more that language another package can
          installed. I assume you installed the Western European/Latin one. I
          imagine no UTF-8 is available. These character sets are a whole
          field in themselves!

          Brian
        • ivar.hamrin
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "ralphqramden" <ralphqramden@...>

            > I *do* believe that the problem is a Windows problem. You might like
            > to see my
            > post in the forum for Reciva based wifi radios at:
            >https://www.reciva.com/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=77&func=view&id=8648&catid=3#msg8648

            Will do that seriously. Had a look but realized that it will take me a
            while to understand ;-)

            > Basically I think (at least I can't find a way) to tell Window$ to
            > automatically
            > default to UTF-8, which is the Linux standard, even though it
            > understands it. It
            > will always stick with ISO 8859-1 *until* it finds a character that
            > doesn't
            > overlap with UTF-8 like å and ø. Only then will it fall over to UTF-8.

            I'll give it a go. However, since both mine and my girlfriends
            computers are ment to be connected to the slug (and to the rest of the
            world which is, against the best of knowledge, Windows based)the most
            logical way to solve this is to make an effort to correct the faulty
            link the the chain, in this case the Slug. If I tell my XP machine to
            default to UTF-8, the char's will be correctly decoded on it. But not
            on the other one except if I do the same thing of that one. What will
            the happend when I (or my girlfriend) connect to fx. a ftp server,
            will char's be coruppted again?

            > Now my problem with GTKpod was easily solved by telling it (and samba)
            > to work
            > in ISO 8859-1. However, I couldn't tell my Linux based Reciva radio to
            > "work" in
            > ISO 8859-1 just as we can't seem to tell a slug to do the same thing
            > without
            > moving off away from uNSLUng. Sorry to say I ended up going through my
            > 5000 odd
            > MP3's and removing all offending diacritics and other characters.

            Sounds like a huge job going through all mp3's! Will not undertake
            that one until I absolutely have to. But I still think there's a way
            to make the Slug work in ISO-8859-1. There is char code kernel file
            available cp850 (West Europe/Latin 1), why could'nt there be one for
            iso-8859-1? Perhaps just a matter of cross comipling? I don't know
            yet, but I'll try to find out. The SoundBridge use to be connected
            directly to the Windows machines using another server (in that case
            Firebird) and all the chars looked ok. So in my case the only issue is
            the Slug. In your case the Reciva must have been another separate
            problem, perhaps unsolveable.

            > If you could get all the files renamed on a Linux box and *then* put
            > them on the
            > *native* slug disk, that might do the trick.

            Yes, certainly. But the problem will still persist: since new files
            will be added in the feature, and that from the Win machines, the only
            way is to make them default to UTF-8 or cp850. Which in return will
            make it hard to copy files from someone elses computer than ours. In
            that case, we'll have to "recode" all filenamnes. Still, it seems like
            the only logical solution is to make the Slug talk iso-8859-1, or am I
            wrong?

            >I want those characters
            > too, so I
            > will be working on it.

            Me too. Let's stay in touch and keep this discussion alive. Perhaps in
            another thread? The problem can't be limited to filenames of mp3's,
            there's got to be more people interested in solving this issue!

            > Any other thoughts from anyone?

            In that case, please respond! Still unable to sleep! ;-)

            > And perhaps since you mentioned it you might tell me how you make
            >out with Mediatomb. I have trouble with it telling me the
            >mediatomb.db file is corrupted on restart. It works fine for me when
            >I start it and use it, but once it is shutdown and restarted it says
            >the database is corrupted (which I have confirmed with
            >"sqlite3_analyzer.exe". I changed emails with one of the authors and
            >he feels that perhaps the .db file is getting saved in 'flash' which
            >is a problem. He thought perhaps moving it to a mounted disk
            >location, perhaps in with the music files might fix it, but I haven't
            >tried yet. Sorry for the length of this post, and if you care to talk
            >about Mediatomb, perhaps begin another thread?

            No problem talking about MediaTomb, seems like a very good piece of
            software once you figure out how to script it, not as easy as it
            seems, not to me anyway ;-) But I'm shure there's another forum
            specific for it.

            Have'nt had the time to dig deeper in to it yet, and I'm not shure
            that I'll be able to give you a good answer. You should try out that
            solution. But, correct me if I'm wrong, if there's no db file, won't
            sqlite build a new one? I think so. In that case, simply delete the
            file and in that way force it to do so. Might work. Otherwise,
            reinstall all of MediaTomb. I'm quite shure you have a reason for your
            choice of a flash disk, and I'll probably be your last and least
            wanted option to move it to another disk.

            //Ivar
          • ivar.hamrin
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
              I'll post a new thread concerning the char code disscussion to make it
              easier for others to contribute. Brian, follow that one instead.

              //Ivar

            • mhjorth62
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
                wrote:

                > I must apologize for the <80 chars per line in my last post!
                > It never occurred to me that Yahoo would not format it correctly.
                >
                > I see from perusing the wiki some more that language another package can
                > installed. I assume you installed the Western European/Latin one. I
                > imagine no UTF-8 is available. These character sets are a whole
                > field in themselves!
                >
                > Brian

                Can't you just set the iso-8859-1 locale?

                I don't know if there is locale support in unslung, as I use
                Debian on my slug, but if it is something like this:
                export LANG=da_DK.ISO-8859-1
                should do the trick.

                Michael.