Re: USB powered 2.5 inch drive, or increasing power supply?

  • rolandkbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
      Sorry, I don't know about the Maxtor drives. But I have two Slugs,
      both with a Slug-powered 2.5" Fujitsu disk (one a 160GB EIDE, the
      other one a 250GB SATA). Never had a problem with them. They run very
      quiet and cool and last but not least the Slugs use only 9 - 12 Watt,
      depending on disk access.

      Roland

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, colincliff <colincliff@...> wrote:

      > I am looking to run a usb powered maxtor one touch iii mini drive
      > from my unslung NSLU2.
      >
      > I have read that the power supply provided with the slug is quite
      > weak. Is anyone managing to power one of these drives from their NSLU2?
      >
      > If not do you know if its possible to use a more powerful power
      > supply without damaging the unit?
      >
      > thanks in advance!
      >
      > --

    • mrkzander
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
        I have both my Slugs powering their external disks.

        The SLUG can supply enough power to power just one external USB
        device. I wouldn't attempt to increase the power supply rating
        because it's the usb chip that actually routes the current. I would
        bet it has some upper limit before it fries.

        On another note I realized a few months ago that powering an
        external drive depends more on the USB cable than the actual Slug's
        current capabilities.
        When I moved my Slug to a different room, I picked up a random USB
        cable from my 'pile' to use for the external disk. Previously I was
        able to power the disk via USB. But when I turned everything on with
        the new USB cable the disk didn't start!
        It just did nothing. After a lot of troubleshooting I went back to
        the original cable and the disk started up without problems.
        So some USB cables can supply more current than others.

        Zander.