Nail or Sendmail problems on Debian Slug

  • bloedmann999
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      I have removed sendmail and exim4 from my Slug, and am trying to use
      Nail as I also have that working OK on my Unslung V5.5 slug. It does
      actually work, once the boot sequence is over. I can run the upmail
      and downmail scripts in /etc/init.d/ Ok and they work. But during
      runlevel 6 and runlevel 2 processing the scripts are called but nail
      fails.
      So this shows the script working OK:

      Oct 3 17:17:15 Slug2 logger: ./upmail Starting
      Oct 3 17:17:15 Slug2 logger: /usr/sbin/mailtext.sh Sending Up
      /etc/init.d/upmail to Brian
      warning: incomplete line - newline appended
      Resolving host mailto.btx.dtag.de . . . done.
      Connecting to 194.25.134.90 . . . connected.
      220 fwd27.aul.t-online.de T-Online ESMTP receiver fmsad1025 ready. / .....
      >>> .^
      250 2.0.0 Message accepted. / Nachricht akzeptiert.^
      >>> QUIT^
      221 2.0.0 fwd27.aul.t-online.de closing. / Verbindung wird getrennt.^
      Oct 3 17:17:17 Slug2 logger: /usr/sbin/mailtext.sh Done
      Oct 3 17:17:17 Slug2 logger: ./upmail Done

      And here shows it failing:
      Oct 3 17:10:32 Slug2 logger: /etc/rc2.d/S99upmail Starting
      Oct 3 17:10:32 Slug2 logger: /usr/sbin/mailtext.sh Sending Up
      /etc/init.d/upmail to Brian
      /usr/lib/sendmail: No such file or directory
      . . . message not sent.
      Oct 3 17:10:32 Slug2 logger: /usr/sbin/mailtext.sh Done
      Oct 3 17:10:32 Slug2 logger: /etc/rc2.d/S99upmail Done

      Looked and /usr/lib/sendmail does not exist. But, then why does the
      command work once the boot sequence is over. Apparently nail does not
      need an MTA for what I am doing, just sending to an SMTP server:

      man nail

      smtp Normally, nail invokes sendmail(8) directly to transfer messages.
      If the smtp variable is set, a SMTP connection to the server specified
      by the value of this variable is used instead. If the SMTP server does
      not use the stan-dard port, a value of server:port can be given, with
      port as a name or as a number.

      cat ~/.mailrc
      set smtp=mail.example.com

      And mine is set smtp=mailto.btx.dtag.de

      I guess this some kind of environment or path problem. When I enter
      the command as root from the console it is OK, under what user is it
      run during the runlevel processing.
      It also doesn't make a difference whether I run the script from
      /etc/init.d or /etc/rc2.d.

      Anyone any ideas how to debug this?

      Cheers Brian